Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner June 2018

Anyone having a non-traditional wedding dress?

RomanticRedFlowers886, 7 of September of 2017 at 11:47 Posted on Planning 0 12

Just wondered if anyone was having something a bit off the wall/none traditional colours/different? Would love to hear your ideas or see pics if so!

I'm planning on green, and hopefully getting it made by a lady who does theatre/film and burlesque costuming, have some vague ideas but am trying not to be too crazy...

12 replies

Latest activity by Chloe2345, 22 of September of 2017 at 14:29
  • H
    Beginner May 2018
    HappyBrownConfetti849 ·
    • Hide content

Mine is pretty traditional, champagne with lace.

But coloured dresses are much more popular now and I'm all for them, there are a few people on here that I've seen that want something different and are really happy with what they're doing.

Go for it and best of luck x

• E
    Beginner October 2017
    ExpensiveYellowConfetti904 ·
    • Hide content

I'm wearing a mini dress - Im sure it will get a few raised eyebrows!

• R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticRedFlowers886 ·
    • Hide content

Mini dress - that'll be fantastic! If I had the legs I totally would, are you going slinky or skater?

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

I'm in a calf length house of mooshki dress, not too alternative, but a little bit different.

• E
    Beginner October 2017
    • Hide content

It's more of a 60s shape like a shift dress but it also has no back in! Not traditional! But I tried every traditional style on and hated them! Its Miss Jagger by Rime Arodaky if you want to google it! Hahahaa!

• R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticRedFlowers886 ·
    • Hide content

Just googled both House of Mooshki and the Miss Jagger - gorgeous dresses, the Miss Jagger is fierce!

Have folk picked 'alternative' dresses to go with the look you'd usually wear? My aim is to not be too far from my usual black/dark clothes (and green is my favourite colour that's not black...), and something that will go with a red lip and smokey eyes (usual make up of choice for a night out!)

• R
    Beginner April 2018
    RomanticBlueCakes716 ·
    • Hide content

I didn't pick my mooshki dress to tie in to my normal style, I just wanted my dress to stand out a bit and I fell in love with the collection. Nothing else I tried on came close.

• E
    Beginner October 2017
    • Hide content

I just chose mine because every traditional style of dress didn't suit me and I felt really uncomfortable in them. I just wanted to feel like me. I couldn't stand the idea of needing help to go to the toilet and all that carry on!

I almost bought something traditional then one of the ladies in the shops gushed at me and stopped in in her tracks throwing her hands over her mouth stunned at how 'perfect' I looked! It was that moment I realised, that wasn't for me! I didn't look perfect, I looked like I was in fancy dress!

• R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticRedFlowers886 ·
    • Hide content

Haha - a friend of mine had a similar experience, she was mortified and decided to find something more modern looking, having been gushed over in a very ornate strapless number that her boobs kept falling out of! She ended up in a modified, simplified version of the 7002 by Jesus Peiro and it looked perfect on her.

Every time I've thought 'should I have a proper dress', my mind can't even contemplate it - computer says no!

• MetalBride
    Beginner April 2018
    MetalBride ·
    • Hide content

Mine is deep red, gothic and strapless, I have an eleven crown and torque and will have a long sleeved jacket, think medieval length for the sleeves. :-)

• B
    Beginner August 2018
    BlushBride2Be ·
    • Hide content

I haven't started looking yet as I feel too big, especially in the chest dept lol but I have been thinking of not going traditional. Although I'm having a church wedding so not sure if there are any restrictions and I will ask the reverend at our first meeting this afternoon. I'm slowly losing weight but my boobs have always been on the large size even when I was slimmer!

I'm thinking of something blush since we're having a summer wedding, flowing and long but note wide, depends what suits me when I start dress hunting. I'm not sure how easy it is to alter them if they aren't corset style either... this is all very new to me lol. For me it will be what looks the best not if its traditional or not. Yours sounds great and custom made to fit, good luck with it Smiley smile

• R
    Beginner June 2018
    RomanticRedFlowers886 ·
    • Hide content

MetalBride, loving the sound of your coat - think I saw your dress in a previous dress flash, gorgeous!!

Blush Bride - know the feeling, I need to drop some pounds to get away with what I'd like to wear. Bah! Hope you find something gorgeous, trad or not, blush sounds beautiful. :-)

• C
    Beginner May 2018
    Chloe2345 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan of a traditional dress (for myself!!). I wanted navy but have been swayed against it as I do still want to be distinguishable as a bride. Current thinking is something gold and sparkly! I tried a gorgeous non-bridal Jenny Packham on, but it was just a bit too pale and really washed me out. Plus I'm in the same boat as BlushBride2Be, only just started trying to shake the weight and I just don't think wedding dresses are designed for the bigger busted girls, strapless is definitely not an option for me.

I'm so glad other people are going non-traditional!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics