Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Arquard
Beginner May 2011

Anyone having a separate legal ceremony and 'wedding'?

Arquard, 5 August, 2010 at 16:29 Posted on Planning 0 3

Bear with me, this might seem a bit out-there..

Because the venues h2b and I have been looking at are miles away from any registry offices, and the only approved venues nearby are mahoosive (read: expensive) stately homes and castles, we're thinking about having the legal civil ceremony bit a couple of days before we travel down. No dress, rings, or any of that. Literally just the 2 required witnesses, sign the register, then go off to have the meaningful bit with vows and rings in front of all our guests.

We like the idea of having a Humanist celebrant come out to officiate the 'proper' ceremony, but the expense is making df wrinkle his nose up a bit. The website says their fees are anywhere from £320 to £700, which is more than we can afford to throw away on something we don't technically need.

Now I desperately want SOMEONE to perform a ceremony of some sorts and host the bit where h2b and I exchange vows and rings. I'm fine with the legal register-signing bit being a separate part, but I don't like the idea of essentially having NO ceremony at all.

Has anyone else come across this? Is there a good compromise? H2b suggested having one of our guests read the gathering words and make nice speeches before we do our vows, but it doesn't quite feel right to me. Suggestions???

3 replies

Latest activity by Civil Ceremonies, 5 August, 2010 at 22:01
  • DanniB
    Curious July 2023 Buckinghamshire
    DanniB ·
    • Hide content

Hi,
    My husband and I did this, we had a very quick registry office do on Wednesday 28th July and then the full wedding on Saturday 31st. At the registry office, we had just our parent and our 2 children. No rings, only legal wording etc.

Then on Saturday we had a humanist celebrant perform our ceremony with all the works. Her fee was £500, but for this she designed the whole thing (with our input) and was one less thing for us to worry about.

Doing it this way meant that we were able to have the wedding I have always dreamed of, outside with lots of decorations in trees etc, like some of the weddings I have seen on some of the american wedding blogs. We were not constrained by the legal requirements, so we chose a lovely country pub/restaurant which had beautiful outside space, it also saved us loads of money.

Hope this helps you,

Danni x

• Arquard
    Beginner May 2011
    Arquard ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Danni, that's fantastic. I was starting to think I was really odd for considering doing things this way!!

• DanniB
    Curious July 2023 Buckinghamshire
    DanniB ·
    • Hide content

Well I did have a few raised eyebrows when I started to consider this too!!

My grandparents took quite a while to get their heads around the idea of having 2 weddings as they said!!

I say go for it, there is not one thing I would change about the way I did things.

Good luck

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

We perform quite a few basic ceremonies these days. Literally in an office with the bride and groom and 2 witnesses, say the legal words, sign the register and off you go. Many couples have said that they are then having a blessing in church which apparently costs half the price - worth looking into?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics