Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Going2theChapel
Beginner March 2013

Anyone having a set wedding breakfast?

Going2theChapel, 15 March, 2012 at 18:22 Posted on Planning 0 19

How did you decide what to have?

We have been to test our menu with our friends who are getting married the week after so they were really focussed on helping us, we chose 4 things for each course to test.

We each had a quarter of each dish and passed the plates around clockwise so we all got to sample and compare. It was really fun, but has left us undecided still.

EVERYTHING was so DELICIOUS! I really could not say i favoured one certain dish much more than another...

How have you/did you decide on your wedding breakfast? Did you go for a menu that you personally loved best or what would be received better on the day by all?

... to add... what would be a 'Please all menu?'

19 replies

Latest activity by Wherts2b, 16 March, 2012 at 13:36
  • P
    Beginner August 2013
    Peppr Potts ·
    • Hide content

I don't think there's ever going to be any such thing as a "please all menu", there's always going to be somebody who doesn't like something on the menu so i say just go for what you your OH like the best and everybody else can just put up with it as it's you day and you're paying for it all (or is this just me being really mean??)

For us it's an easy decision as OH is a an extremely fussy mare so there's only about 2 things on the menu he would actually eat! Grrrr, damn fussy people!

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

We only had got to taste two dishes from four, like yours they were so delicious I would have had a hard time choosing. However, my oh insisted on one of them so that is what we are having and I am happy with that. It is quite guest friendly, so are the starters and puddings. In fact for the puddings I wanted one and oh wanted the other so the venue have said we can have mini versions of both - I am so happy about this! We also have to choose separately for vegetarians and I will ask my oh's mum to say what she would prefer as there will only be about 4 veggies there including her, I am a meat lover but this veggie menu could convert me ?

I think it's a fine line between choosing what you want as obviously it's your day and you're paying for it but then maybe don't go for something completely unusual and just bare guests in mind. What are your choices? Maybe the hitches can help!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content

First time round, I had a set meal and it was great. We started choosing by working out what meat ex-H wanted (I'm veggie so chose the veggie main course) and took it from there. He chose lamb, partly because he liked it best and partly through a process of elimination: In our view, chicken was "too common (as in ubiquitous not as in class!)", ex-H thought turkey was too dry. Some people wouldn't like beef or it would be too hard to please everyone with degrees of rare-ness. He didn't like pork, and there was too much risk of fussy guests with fish or game.

So to answer your question, a mixture of what we loved and what would be appreciated by guests. Obviously special diets were catered for separately.

• Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

We are having a set menu from a list that the venue provide. Out the window straight away is anything fishy or fussy. Going to have a vegetarian soup for starter, and then for main it was between beef or chicken, think we are going for chicken because people like their beef cooked differently - with chicken it's easier.

But, you can never cater for everyone, even if you give 3 choices there will always be someone who doesn't like any of them!

• P
    Beginner May 2012
    Peyaleed ·
    • Hide content

We're having our menu tasting this weekend and will be going for a set menu. Getting to try 3 dishes for each course including a vegetarian option- for main we are going to choose between lamb and fish (sea bass); I didnt want to go for chicken as felt not 'special' enough and we have it all the time!!

So hopefully by Saturday evening decision will be made!

• Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content

We're going to be picking fro a set menu that the venue provide. We'll have to choose a starter, main and desert as well as canapes and buffet for the evening. Not sure how we'll decide but if my OH has his way it will be what he likes as we're paying for it!

• B
    Beginner September 2012
    bia57 ·
    • Hide content

We're picking from a set menu too. At the tasting we'll be able to try 4 starters, 4 mains and 4 puddings. We're thinking we'll try the 2 chicken dishes, 1 lamb and 1 beef. We've accepted you can't please everyone so will probably go with the one we like the most.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

We having set menu and my OH is quite fussy although I have put my foot down as I am quite a foodie and don't want anything simple bland, boring on my wedding.

• Pink Han-bag
    Beginner March 2013
    Pink Han-bag ·
    • Hide content

We've been terrible reading all the sample menus given by venues and wanting to eat it all ?

My absolute favourite is pate so we'll probably have that as a starter, most probably a beef dish for main although some of the chicken ones we've read sound fabulous and then dessert not sure, will probably let OH pick as he's got a sweeter tooth than me.

In an ideal world I'd give everyone a choice of 2 starters, main, dessert but I know that's not really feasible.

• Dana_leigh
    Beginner August 2013
    Dana_leigh ·
    • Hide content

We havent tasted ours yet, but have made choices based on tastes. For example some of the starters would have had flavours that were too strong, for example goats cheese.

We are having beef for the main course, mainly as it seems a more traditional yorkshire dinner (we live here) plus we both love yorkshire puddings ? For the veggie option we checked with our only 2 vegetarians and they love salmon, so we asked if we could offer the salmon as the choice instead of the rather limited veggie menu and they agreed, so everyone will have a choice of salmon or beef which I think is fair.

For desert we are choosing something fruity as not everyone like a heavy sweet and a lot were....but it all could change!!

We are basically pleasing ourselves and have canvassed a general opinion from parents, anyone else can either eat it or starve lol!

• K
    Beginner April 2012
    KerryLuan ·
    • Hide content

Our venue had a set list of about 8 options for starter, main and dessert. You are supposed to pick one, but I arranged that if I narrowed the options down to 2, I could then offer my guest the choice. I have contacted them all and they have pre-selected what they would like on the day. It took a bit of organising but it was nice to be able to offer them what they would like.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We have a set menu and a veggie option. We had to choose 2 of each course to test so it helped narrow it down. We had a proper 3 course meal, but they gave us one of each choice to eat and decide with 4 full glasses of different wines. The only thing was we couldn't taste the veggie as that counted as a 3rd choice.

We discounted lamb as it isn't to everyones taste but was the best meal. We went for beef but I am sure it won't please everyone as it was cooked slightly pink in the middle which I love but not everyone does. They can make up for it with the buffet.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content

We've got our taster in a couple of weeks and sampling 2 dishes from each course (and 2 extra veggie main courses). Me and OH both love goats cheese and both the starters we are trying have goats cheese, but I am worrying that some people won't like it. I think the main thing for me is the cost and it would kill me to see people with loads of food left on their plate when we're paying £75 a head, but at the same time we want to be able to enjoy it!

• E
    Beginner January 2013
    EThompson ·
    • Hide content

We just decided what our favourite foods were and made a menu from that. Most of our friends are quite open minded when it comes to food so we are lucky.

• lady_lyla
    Beginner September 2013
    lady_lyla ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

SAME! OH has decided he doesn't like ANYTHING from our menu... grr!

• Aurora Borealis
    Beginner June 2013
    Aurora Borealis ·
    • Hide content

My OH is a chef so I have put him in charge of this as he says he will know what can retain its quality when being served en mass. Also, I am a vegetarian so I don't really care if we have beef or lamb, OH has chosen beef.

• Going2theChapel
    Beginner March 2013
    Going2theChapel ·
    • Hide content

See goats cheese was in one of our starters and I absolutely love it. We are having a package deal so if people left their food I wouldnt mind so much as it wouldnt hurt as in 'per head' costs. but i dont want people to go hungry, but do want something 'special' for our wedding that we wouldnt eat on a regular basis... and nothing that I'llspill down my dress and stain... I'll need a giant bib lol

If people didnt eat we are having a canapes, hog roast later, cake, cupcakes, sweetie bar...

toughie!!

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

ummmmm can I come! Quite a selection there! That's it, there will be plenty of choice for people ?

• F
    Beginner March 2013
    flower71 ·
    • Hide content

Before we had even looked at any menus OH said we were having chicken as the main course and I could choose whatever I liked for the starter and dessert! I think this should work ok, the veggie options look fine (I often end up eating veggie as I don't eat lamb/beef/pork so will make a nice change for me...oh yes, it's my wedding duh!) but my dad is a hugely fussy eater - ie doesn't like garlic, 'funny' sauces, rice etc...I'm thinking of getting them to make him a cheese sandwich!!

How far in advance do you get to do the tastings? I've only just booked our venue so haven't got all our info through yet...I want to do everything NOW!!

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

lol I was the same! I suppose you can do it whenever you want but make it the year of your wedding so they don't bring out any extra choices after you decide! We were told we could choose off past menus too so have incorporated a few old dishes.

OMG you've just described my dad! He's veggie but not even those choices suit his needs so I was gonna ask them to do him salmon with "simple" veg and no funny sauces lol. I don't want him limiting what I eat!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics