Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

anyone having/had a cheese tower in place of a wedding cake?

15 May, 2012 at 07:54 Posted on Planning 0 4

Hi Everyone!

We're having a tower of cheese instead of a cakey wedding cake, as I know Cricks did last year and I'm not sure if there are many others?

Following on from the "how many people ate your cake?" thread I'm wondering how many to cater for with the cheese? Whilst I don't mind taking some home with us I would like for the cheese to get eaten up and we're serving it in the evening with crackers and breads, grapes, fruits, locally produced chutneys etc. and port, as a sort of cheese board stylee buffet.

We have 110-120 guests in the evening but 70 of those will have had canapes and a 3 course meal in the afternoon, and others may have eaten before coming out in the . Also, of course there will be people who don't like cheese! We're also putting on a hog roast and there will be an old fashion ice cream tricycle serving dairy ice cream - so there is no food shortage in the evening, which makes me reluctant to go too BIG with the cheese. Saying that, it is supposed to be our wedding cake and I don't want it to be something tiny and piddly in the corner.... what are your thoughts? I'm not sure how many tiers/types of cheese to serve too. And OH thinks we should avoid blue cheese, and goats cheese, as these tend to be liked by fewer people (but they're my favourite!)

Also - as an aside, do you think we should also have actual cake? I don't think it's needed, I really don't think we're short on food (and are serving a trio of desserts in our wedding breakfast and ice cream for evening guests so there is sweet food about!) but there have been a few whispers from older relatives along the lines of "you do know they're not having a wedding cake?" - I know it's our day and we should do it our way etc. but who knows!

4 replies

Latest activity by Knees, 15 May, 2012 at 11:03
  • HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

We have finally made a decision on this!! I wanted a traditional cake but OH didn't. He thought that whilst the cakes looked lovely, most of them (we tried loads at wedding fayres) just tasted like "women's institue cakes". (his words!). Anyway, he really wanted cheese - plus we found it to be cheaper. He decided to put the vote to our guests via Facebook and cheese won hands down. This is the cake we are going for

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

We are having a cheese cake as i hate the traditional wedding cake to much style over substance.

The cheese cake will be our savoury evening snack served with artisian breads chutneys etc we are having a dessert/sweet buffet too. We will probably cater for more then we need to be honest just because we dont want a small tiny tower in the corner.....

we are eating a 6 course meal at 5:00pm so i dont think most guests will need anything else in the evening....As with your guests i dont feel think they would eat much cheese with everything else so it really depends if you wont the big 'showy' tower or not?

It sounds like you have lots of food, i dont think you need a cake too as you have the icecream?.....But if you were really worried maybe you could have brownie bites or broken cookies to go with the ice cream

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Cricks had one iirr, her pictures looked great.

• katie1103
    Beginner September 2012
    katie1103 ·
    • Hide content

Were having a cakey cake only as its a gift from my sister for the day reception and oh insisted we had one but we're having a small cheese one from m and s if our venue will allow it for the evening xx

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

We're hoping to. In fact, I've just emailed our local deli to see if they can do something to suit.

It'd be for our home party, where we have 300 guests. We're having a hog roast and then a dessert table, which will be a tiered cake, plus cookies, cake pops and sweets, but I also wanted something savoury, so we're hoping to have a cake of cheese, plus crackers and chutneys.

We'll go with the supplier's recommendation as to how many it'll serve, but I think you'd need at least three different sized wheels to get the full effect of it being a "cake". The bottom wheel would have to be quite big in itself, so I'd say three tiers will be enough.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics