Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

knitting_vixen
Beginner September 2011

Anyone here not exchanging rings?

knitting_vixen, 24 August, 2011 at 15:09 Posted on Planning 0 21

Just a random thought really. I remember that Kate and Wills didn't and I thought it was a bit sad. I want my oh to wear one. I love the whole gesture of giving your partner a ring during the ceremony. A colleague of mine is married and doesn't wear a ring- he is Muslim, am wondering if that has something to do with it.

If you aren't exchanging rings, what are the reasons behind it?

21 replies

Latest activity by knitting_vixen, 24 August, 2011 at 19:44
  • Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

H said he wasn't keen on wearing a ring because he couldn't get used to it, but he persevered and wears it all the time. I was really not happy at the thought of him not wearing a wedding ring.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Gosh, I watched the royal wedding and didn't notice. That really suprises me.

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content

I see it as an insult rather than it being a trust issue.

• cookiekat
    Beginner August 2012
    cookiekat ·
    • Hide content

We are exchanging rings in the ceremony but due to my job I wont be wearing my rings much - probably only evenings and weekends. H2B will wear his all the time. though.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Personally I'm not a jewelery sort of person, I don't wear a ring, St Christopher or anything else - but I am happy to wear a ring because my b2b wants me to. We haven't spent a great deal of money on our rings, partly because the ring itself isn't important to us but the sentiments behind it are.

• greenleaf
    greenleaf ·
    • Hide content

Most of the weddings i have experienced them not exchanging rings has been down to work commitments - Welders are not allowed to wear rings etc....

But some have used other items like a watch.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I think the fact that he gave her a ring and she didn't give him one is what made it stand out to me. If neither of them had done it, I wouldn't have noticed!

• R
    Beginner June 2012
    Randomsabreur ·
    • Hide content

OH and I are exchanging rings, but I wouldn't have been too bothered if he had decided not to have a ring - he can't wear them for work (vet). His ring is going to be cheap though - probably titanium. A recent wedding I went to they didn't - the husband was a surgeon so it's not something that bothers me particularly.

I hardly take my Ering off, but try to remember for anything that might damage it (or for things where it might damage me (climbing).

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Kate has a ring, but its not considered traditional for men to wear wedding rings. He might also not be allowed to wear one because of his work?

We'll be exchanging rings, but that doesn't mean i'll wear mine after the wedding. Its nothing to do with not loving D, or wanting to avoid people knowing i'm married. I just don't like wearing jewellery and i feel like it draws attention to me. Plus, the slightest hint of a warm day, the slightest bit of stress or even light exercise that makes me a bit warm and my hands absolutely balloon! I've only just started wearing my engagement ring again after not bothering for over a year and a half, but i take it off sometimes still because it just gets right on my nerves!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

My parents exchanged rings when they married but my dad has never worn his and I've always thought it was a shame. So when OH asked how I would feel about him not having a ring I told him the rings were really important to me and it would mean a lot if he wore one. In the end he decided that he would. I think there are a lot of men who still think that wearing jewellery is effeminate.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

did they present this during the ceremony when u usuall do the rings? did they do it up for their OH too? just trying to imagine it, i think it might be a bit awquard! (is that how u spell it?!?)

we both have rings, i asked OH if he wanted one as he is not a jewellery person at all and he did, think he spent more time finding his than i did mine actaully!

• tizmelou
    Beginner September 2012
    tizmelou ·
    • Hide content

My oh has never worn any jewellery but is wearing his wedding ring already as an engagement ring - I really wanted him too - we'll just get it engraved when we marry

• Panjita
    Beginner May 2011
    Panjita ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My Dad has never worn one either. H has been married before and never wore a ring then either.

I agree with AJ, the sentiment is the important bit although having said that, H wants a new ring already as his was a cheap one and looks crap after only 3 months (titanium). I think it's a shame that he won't be wearing the exact one from the ceremony.

• A
    Beginner June 2012
    ames2uk ·
    • Hide content

I'm having a ring but my OH isn't. He really hates wearing jewellry (not even a watch) and due to his job, he wouldn't be able to wear it anyway so we decided if he was constantly taking it on and off, it would just get lost.

To be honest it doesn't bother me that much - my dad has never worn one so it was only a few years ago I realised men wore rings!

For me, i don't think i'll feel any less married just cos he doesnt wear a ring - i would prefer him to feel comfortable. Plus it means all the more budget to spend on mine ?

• Kooks
    Beginner September 2011
    Kooks ·
    • Hide content

It's a fairly new tradition for men to wear wedding rings I think, lots of the older guys I work with don't wear one. I also think that male members of the Royal family wear a signet ring??

Mr Kooks will have a ring and I'm pleased he wants one but neither my mum or step-dad wear any rings so it wouldn't seem odd to me if he really didn't want to. It doesn't make them any less married.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

My OH hates men wearing jewelery, but will wear a wedding a ring.

• caweena
    Beginner
    caweena ·
    • Hide content

H has a ring, but can't wear it to work because of his job.

He has some nerve damage to his shoulder that causes numbness/pain in his fingers too which is aggravated by wearing a ring.

He was adamant he wanted one but 99% of the time he wears it on a chain around his neck (a chain I bought him as a wedding gift for this reason) and he only really puts it on if we're going out somewhere nice as a couple.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I think that's lovely.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics