Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Anyone know anything about import duty from the US?

19 October, 2011 at 18:45 Posted on Planning 0 13

I am having huge trouble finding any BM dresses I like - it seems that I can find nice dresses in every colour but the one I want, though I'm sure that everyone feels like that. I have found a gorgeous dress on a US website, but I don't understand how the whole import duty thing works. I just put in the details on a website which said it would be £63 import duty and I wondered is that really right? And if I ordered two dresses would I pay twice that, and so on? Only this is the only thing I've seen so far that is exactly what I want... any advice greatly appreciated.

13 replies

Latest activity by Ali_G, 20 October, 2011 at 10:26
  • SoontobeMrsB
    Beginner October 2011
    SoontobeMrsB ·
    • Hide content

I ordered $310 worth of dresses from America and paid £24.11 Customs Duty, £45.63 Import VAT and £8.00 Clearance Fee.

Have a look at this link, it explains all about it.

http://customs.hmrc.gov.uk/channelsPortalWebApp/channelsPortalWebApp.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=pageTravel_ShowContent&id=HMCE_CL_000014&propertyType=document#P21_2406

HTH x

• Tracy2012
    Beginner June 2012
    Tracy2012 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

oh cr**, I ordered shoes from the US and they cost me $325. It didn't occur to me that I'll have to pay money on top of that!!! Don't think H"B will be too impressed, oops!

• Recycledbride
    Beginner June 2012
    Recycledbride ·
    • Hide content

I once bought my son a basketball shirt from the US, it was delivered by USP thingy....I had to pay almost £40.00 import duty there and then or if I didn't pay it then I would be charged a re delivery fee or I could go pick up the goods from the nearest UPS thingy depot which was freakin miles and miles away....I vowed never to buy from the US again....bloody shirt didn't fit either and couldn't send it back!

I think you only pay one import duty per package so as long as the dresses came together you would only pay once.

I'm thinking I might buy BM dresses and dye them to the colour I would like

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Do you know anyone living in the States who would accept delivery of them, repackage them and send them on? I might be wrong - worth checking though - that 'gift' items don't attract these duties and taxes.

• vicster
    Beginner December 2011
    vicster ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

or who might be travelling back this way at christmas and then you could avoid any postage costs?

• starstruck-
    starstruck- ·
    • Hide content

Basically, you get charged VAT, which is usually 20% of the cost of the products. You also get charged import fees and the carrier is also likely to charge a fee, and this varies according to the courier company.

For example, last week I had a delivery from the states of £550 value, and my import/VAT/handing fee was £111

Today an order arrived that had a value of £250 and I only paid £44 additional (much lower fees!)

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content

When I ordered something from the states last month, it was $97 and I paid £15.68 duty

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I always estimate that fees plus UPS handling will be 33% of the total.

• C
    Beginner February 2012
    ClaireH ·
    • Hide content

We were really worried about this as purchased my engagement ring from Florida on the internet and were really concerned about duty, but it arrived and we paid nothing! Very lucky I guess but I have friends who have ordered dresses from the states and paid nothing either, so perhaps depends on how thoroughly they are checking parcels on the day!

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

I've got a feeling that if they're "gifts" you don't pay anything? Might be wrong though. I'm sure there's a way of getting round it. Alternatively, create a "wanted" thread...

Wanted: Someone to go to America and bring me back some dresses!

It sounds silly, but most people on here would help fellow Hitchers out, so if someone is going to America anyway, I'm sure they wouldn't mind bringing your dresses back with them and then sending them on once they're back in the UK??

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics