Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Holey
Beginner July 2011

Anyone know anything about turntables?

Holey, 19 of November of 2013 at 13:48 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 12

One of the many ideas I have for my H's Christmas or birthday presents is a turntable. We've got one that's alright but he's mentioned getting a 'decent' one, whatever that means.

So does anyone know what I should be looking for? Any brands you can recommend? How much would a 'decent' one set me back?

Just to clarify it's just to play vinyls on not DJ type turntables!

12 replies

Latest activity by MrsM*LZ, 7 of December of 2013 at 17:54
  • ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Oh great gift. The only brand that springs to mind is Technics. Surely though it matters more what you are then putting it through and playing it out of, no? My turntable is just a cheap one, and sounds fine out my small stereo. Sounded much better out my old 'good' system though.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Problem is we haven't got a stereo ATB. We've got a small ipod dock or we listen to cds on the ps3 or just the radio

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Ah ok, that's as far as my knowledge goes I'm afraid then - I've always just plugged it in. You'd need an amp and speakers then too?!

I know Footlong has a retro style one, maybe she can help in the techincals of the add ons you'd need etc.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Thanks anyway ATB!

I'd have thought in this age of digital music there must a decent stand alone turntable out there.

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I bought H a turntable for him one year. I'll go see if i can find the make of it. It has built in speakers

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

Here it is! http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B004ZMAEG4/ref=oh_details_o02_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

he loves it and it has Aux input too so you can plug in your MP3 player if you feel like it!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Thanks RKB will check that out later. Got to make sure its 'techy' enough for him!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

How weird. I posted earlier about getting a preamp for Christmas - this is to hook up my turntable to our modern amp.

Mine is proper old-school though - it was my dad's from 40 years or so ago (representative, not actual, photo below):

Can't wait to play my records.

It is a Thorens. They have some pretty swish modern stuff on their website!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

It is a basic machine, but H's old one had stopped working and it was the best one i could find in my budget. you can probably get better ones at higher prices, but it might be a starting point for you! :-)

• M
    Beginner October 2013
    MrsM*LZ ·
    • Hide content

I don't know anything about them but H commented on one he saw the other day and that he wants to be able to play his vinyls again.

i was only looking last night and found this http://www.hifi-tower.co.uk/Auna-Belle-Epoque-1908-Vintage-Stereo-Turntable-CD-MP3-USB-Vinyl_i10375.htm - H is in to vintage things and I think this might tick all the boxes (might have to ask my brother about it to find out if it's any good!)

Not sure if it would be one you'd be looking at but there are 30 or so plus on the website. Hope you find one!

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

Mrs M that is a brilliant website, thank you! I love the retro looking ones, they would look amazing in our living room.

Footers, I looked up Thorens but it seems they are really difficult to buy on line and I don't have any stockists close by.

I have ordered him a vinyl for Christmas so might see if I can buy him a turntable for his birthday in Feb as it's his 30th

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Heres two at oppositr ends of the price spectrum.....

https://www.forumhifivisual.co.uk/prod.asp?product_idx=3806

http://www.vickershifi.com/Products/MZTT15S1

I recall those halcyon days when vinyl was the only option...then tapes which kept getting jammed......

My cartridge stylus used to weigh in at 2 gms on the disk...which was pretty cool at the time.....

?

• M
    Beginner October 2013
    MrsM*LZ ·
    • Hide content

Hi Holey,

I'm not sure if you'd be interested or not in the one I'd bought but OH has just found out about it and doesn't like it! Oops! So looks like I'll be returning it, unless you'd be interested? No worries if not!

:-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics