Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

tinkerbelly1983
Beginner October 2011

Anyone know what happens if registrar isn't available?

tinkerbelly1983, 13 March, 2011 at 15:12 Posted on Planning 0 8

Can you get one from another region/council?

Our venue is awaiting a civil ceremony licence. We should find out in April if theyll get one or not. Until then we cannot give notice of book a registrar.

So worst scenario, we phone up the registry office that covers our venues area and 'sorry theres no availability on your date'

What do we do??? Can we get a registrar from another area. Or is it tough luck and we have just spent £5000 on a very extravagant but pointless party?!

8 replies

Latest activity by tinkerbelly1983, 13 March, 2011 at 20:25
  • Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

I dont think its legal to use another registrar from a different region, you have to use the council in that area

Thats what i thought anyway.

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

Where are you? Some counties guarantee to have a registrar if you give them more than 6 weeks notice, so thats ot a problem. Have you spoken to the registrars? They may let you make a provisional booking even if your venue doesn't yet have a license. It also depends on how flexible you can be on timings, if they offer you 11.30am or 5pm will you take it?

I'd talk to the registrars and see what they can do to help.

• Samantha2704
    Beginner July 2011
    Samantha2704 ·
    • Hide content

If i were you, i'd give the registrar a call and see what they have available, you might need to put a deposit down to secure that date & time but atleast you'd only loose £100 instead of not been able to get married at all

• M
    Beginner April 2011
    mrsrh* ·
    • Hide content

As far as i know, you can only use a registrar from the area you are marrying in.

I'd ring the registrar's office & find out what can be done.

I'd also not pay a deposit or sign a contract with the venue until i knew that it was all sorted - or ask for a clause in the t's & c's whereby you get your money back if they don't get their licence.

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

I am not sure if you can use a registrar from another area. I am suprised your venue has taken your booking and deposit without you checking availability of registrar as that is the first question we were asked by our venue. Is there any possibility of a date change?

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

In all fairness it was our decision to book it anyway, even though we weren't 100% on whether we could actually get married there, I'd have still wanted my reception held at the venue. I'm sure it will all be fine, I cant see any reason at all why they wouldn't get it. We saw other venues with worse facilities! And I'm sure if we do have to go with a registry office there will be a nice one nearby. I've heard Horsham is lovely

• N
    Beginner April 2011
    nat2683 ·
    • Hide content

Why don't you give your local registry office a ring to find out what their availability is like on your day at the moment.

I dont think they'll let you reserve a slot, but fingers crossed it will put your mind at ease that there is some availability that day.

Likewise if there is no availability - which would be incredibly unlucky- you can proceed to book the registry office that you like asap, but at least you will know.

• tinkerbelly1983
    Beginner October 2011
    tinkerbelly1983 ·
    • Hide content

Going to ring them 2moro and see what they say. I bet theyre used to having crazy panic stricken brides on the phone lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics