Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

badkitti*
Beginner October 2007

Anyone live on the Leeds- Skipton rail line?

badkitti*, 3 July, 2009 at 09:35 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 9

Are there any nice but cheaper areas within easy walk/bus reach of the stations?

Stations seem to be :Leeds,Saltaire, Bingley, Crossflats, Keighley, Steeton and Silsden, Cononley

9 replies

Latest activity by badkitti*, 4 July, 2009 at 06:09
  • P
    Popcorn1 ·
    • Hide content

I don't live in any of those areas but don't live too far away- I'm in Ilkley, which has its own rail line to Leeds.

It's difficult to advise you without more information about what you're looking for and your budget. Where do you live now? Do you have a budget in mind (not necessarily to share but if you look on rightmove it will give you an idea of prices within each area). Are schools important to you? What type of house are you looking for? Do you need to get to work in Leeds? What sort of area do you want to move to- e.g. Cononley is quite rural, Keighley obviously isn't! How long a commute do you want to do?

• Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content

Yup I live on the line.

Saltaire - very, very expensive as its a Heritage site - full of tourists.

Bingley - very nice, lovely little centre undergoing a lot of redevelopment. Lots of rental properties

Crossflatts (where I live) - rural - we live on the banks of the canal near the 5 Rise Locks. Great access to the station - which has plenty of parking - also easy to get to nearest town centre (Keighley) which has decent shopping. About 20 mins to Leeds by train

Keighley - I wouldn't!

Steeton and Silsden - both lovely and rural but expensive for what you get

cononley - Nice

• P
    Popcorn1 ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't describe Steeton or Silsden as rural unless you're right on the outlying areas on the moors. They're suburbs of Keighley really. Unless one is on the edge of Silsden (near to the by-pass), it isn't really walking distance to the train station- unless you like a long walk- potnetially quite a lot of it uphill!. On the whole I'd say there tend to be more, bigger properties in Silsden and compared to areas close by such as Ilkley and Skipton, you'll definitely get more for your money. On the other hand, if it's a smaller home you're after- I'd say Steeton probably has a bigger stock of smaller, terraced properties.

Cononley is the most rural, and I always think of it as part of Skipton because of its location, but I think it is technically part of Keighley.

• Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

well yes but living there is hardly like living in Keighley is it ?

There are pretty good bus links actually throughout Steeton adn Silsden so even if you live a walk from the station there is likely to be a regular bus to drop you off nearby.

• P
    Popcorn1 ·
    • Hide content

No, neither of them would be like living in the centre of Keighley, but they're not rural villages either. They have more of a suburb "feel" to them than that and there are quite a lot of new developments/estates in both- they're more "sprawly" than a village. Rural to me conjures up the countryside- I'd conside rural to be places like Burnsall, Gargrave, Grassington. Steeton and Silsden are both a bit too industrial to be rural. Depends on what type of place the OP is after.

• badkitti*
    Beginner October 2007
    badkitti* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all! I have been looking at rightmove and wondering what the areas are like. H loves Silsden. we will start off in Leeds as we know a good place to rent initially

I need to get to work in Skipton by train, OH needs to get to work (unknown yet) by car but looking at north Leeds or Bradford.

Ideally two beds, must have lots off road parking (Thanks oh!) and be within walking distance of a station on the line. Budget roughly 100-120K but cheaper is easier!

We know we don't want to live in Keighley and Skipton is too far up (plus am a teacher and want a bit of distance)

Rural is ok as long as access to basics in shops

• Hecate
    Beginner
    Hecate ·
    • Hide content

Guess its horses for courses and all that - we were looking at Steeton/Silsden when we were going to move.

If its any guide badkitti in January 2008 we payed £200000 for a 5 bedroom house in Crossflatts. Crossflatts to Skipton is about 20 mins drive - similar/bit shorter by train.

I don't think you'd get anything for your budget in Bingley - and certainly not in an area you'd want to live. Avoid anything off the bottom of Ferncliffe Road!

If you find some examples and want to know about areas I'm happy to give you an idea of where's nice and where to avoid

• P
    Popcorn1 ·
    • Hide content

Gosh Hecate, I can't believe what you can get for your money where you are compared to here in the Wharfe Valley, given that we're not really that far away! It's amazing how much prices vary within a relatively small distance. There's no way you could get anything like 5 beds for that money in Ilkley.

Badkitti, given what you've said, I think Steeton sounds like it could be a very good bet for you and it's close enough to Silsden if your H really likes it there.

• badkitti*
    Beginner October 2007
    badkitti* ·
    • Hide content

Thanks to everyone! rightmove had some in bingley in our price range. I'm looking forward to having a nosy around (and ignoring the frustrating buying thst comes after it!)

Hecate - I may well PM you late this year if you don't mind!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics