Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Bobbins30
Beginner November 2010

Anyone not having bridesmaids?

Bobbins30, 5 September, 2010 at 20:38 Posted on Planning 0 12

I'm getting a bit worried. Originally, we were going to have a really quiet understated wedding, but our venue fell through and we ended up getting drawn into the whole 'if we invite them, then we have to invite them as well' scenario so our day is now a bigger affair in a lovely country house venue. Anyway, as we were doing the original plans on a really tight budget, I decided that there wasn't really any point in having bridesmaids to save money.

Now we've changed the day, I'm worried that our pics will look funny and people will think it's odd that there are no bridesmaids. My OH has a best man and not sure whether it will be 'unbalanced' with no bridesmaid. The only problem is, we have literally scraped together the money to have the day in our new venue and not sure that I can afford to fork out for a dress, flowers, hair etc

Am I worrying about nothing? Have you ever been to a wedding without bridesmaids?

12 replies

Latest activity by Bobbins30, 6 September, 2010 at 13:27
  • judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a couple of weddings without bridesmaids. Nothing wrong with it, there's no rule that says you have to have them. I've also been to one without a best man. My friend even got married without wedding rings!

When in doubt recite this little mantra 20 times: 'it's MY wedding and I'll do what I like'.

• M
    Beginner October 2010
    mrsmiller2b ·
    • Hide content

Your wedding, your way!! If you don't want/can't afford a BM then don't have one. You'll need another witness to sign the register so if you're worried about your photos looking unbalanced then have whoever you choose as your witness to be on the photos x

• babybirdandmouse
    Dedicated August 2020
    babybirdandmouse ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having any bridesmaids. 1) I don't want the added expense and 2) I don't really have anyone to be a bridesmaid! Smiley smile I had to agree with the other reply ... it's your wedding and you can do what you want.

I'm sure some people may be a little confused with some of our choices but I don't care, it's our day not theirs!!

• W
    Beginner March 2011
    wedhead ·
    • Hide content

I have 2 little girls who would prob leave home if I didn't let them be bridesmaids! But, if I didn't I wouldnt have any either, you do what you want!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My daughter isn't having bridesmaids either. Two reasons really.. one - although she has lots of friends that are girls, her very best and closest friend is a man and they have been best friends from leaving school so she is having him as a Man of Honour instead and he is thrilled to be doing it. The other reason was the cost that comes with all the bridesmaid scenario! I've had lots of customers who didn't have bridesmaids - it's quite common now to be honest because a lot of Brides can think of other things they would like to spend the money on and when you add up the cost of their dresses, hair and make up, flowers, presents, it can be a substantial amount towards your honeymoon!

• judeclarke
    Beginner October 2011
    judeclarke ·
    • Hide content

'Man of Honour' - I like that term! was trying to persuade my son to be a 'bridesmaid' but couldn't think of a suitable title. I'll try that one on him.

• HorseFan
    Beginner September 2010
    HorseFan ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having bridesmaids!

Also not having best man nor ushers! So in other words its just about me+him. We have 23 guests and actually we decided if did have the whole things bridemaids, ushers etc there wouldnt be anyone left as guests left to 'ush' :-)

Its only been met with one 'surprise' reaction from a friend "oh its not a proper wedding then" from her, What? We only need bride+groom + 2 witnesses!

• COCOCHIQUITA1984
    Beginner
    COCOCHIQUITA1984 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having bridesmaids as such, just 2 flower girls as I haven't lived where I do for very long so have a mix of new friends who I haven't known long enough to be BMs and old friends who I don't 100% feel are worthy of the role!I also have no sisters or female cousins who I could ask.

And I wouldn't worry about it looking unbalanced either in pics - at my wedding we'll have 2 best men, 4 ushers and 2 pageboys against my 2 flowergirls! Haha! xxx

• B
    Beginner January 2012
    baozl ·
    • Hide content

Oooooooooooooooops

i don't know anyone who has no BM.

anyway, good luck!

dinnel.com

• Charlied
    Beginner October 2010
    Charlied ·
    • Hide content

If you dont want them dont have them

I am only having our two daughters, no adult bridesmaid, mainly because of money but thought it would also look stupid if we had loads.

• fizzypop
    Beginner July 2011
    fizzypop ·
    • Hide content

I totally agree with the your wedding, your way stance. I am having a MOH, 2 big ones and 2 little ones (I don't know how that happened, but still! ?) but I wouldn't think a wedding with none was odd at all x

• tmr1234
    Beginner June 2011
    tmr1234 ·
    • Hide content

We are not having bridesmaids best man or ushers We have are 2 boys and my nice wich i didnt want but hay ho(my nice that is)

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone, don't feel as worried anymore.

We're having our little girl Christened straight after we get married so she'll be wearing a little dress and will look like a flower girl in the pics so don't think it will look too weird afterall!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics