Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

W
Beginner July 2012

Anyone not sitting down during their wedding service?

Wherts2b, 13 June, 2012 at 14:24 Posted on Planning 0 17

Odd question i'm sure, but it seems normal for people to sit down in church or civil ceremony while the talking bit is going on but it's a bit of a struggle in my dress so not sure whether to just stand for the whole thing? Got our rehearsal tomorrow so need to decide!

17 replies

Latest activity by kingfisher1923, 13 June, 2012 at 19:36
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Depends on how long the ceremony will be, you could get pretty tired standing up!

What will your OH be doing? If you are standing he'll probably have to stand too or you might look a bit silly!

• sian-tiffany
    Beginner May 2012
    sian-tiffany ·
    • Hide content

We stood for the whole of our service and readings etc... they had chairs at the side but we didnt use them.

We sat for about 2 mins while the registrar then completed the register etc(didnt really need to though) then we went and sat at the table for the signing photos.

• SingleNoMore
    Beginner April 2013
    SingleNoMore ·
    • Hide content

Lol what's your dress like? How will you eat later?!

How many songs/readings are you having?

• porkchop
    Beginner September 2012
    porkchop ·
    • Hide content

Do people really sit? I've only been to church weddings, where the bride and groom always stand! I didnt realise there is a choice, I think I'd feel it all a bit informal if I sat down in church!

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

I always thought that you stood, shows how much I know!!

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tee hee! My dress is quite tight shall we say. The seamstress said she took it more than she would normally, but I wanted to look like the girl in the brochure! it's a mermaid fitted dress. At least at the meal I can bring it right up if need be to sit and no one will see under the table!

Our ceremony shouldn't last more than half an hour, got 1 reading & 1 interlude song. And yes OH will do whatever I do, I think he would also prefer to stand but I can't tell him my reasons for wanting to as god knows what he'll think i'm wearing. It's sophistated I promise!

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Tbh I always thought everybody stood but the guy doing our ceremony recommended we sit? And I noticed looking at pictures of civils that have happened at our venue that people sit down. Does seem informal though doesn't it, even if you're not in a church!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We stood for the whole thing. Had no idea there was any other option.

• W
    Beginner July 2012
    Wherts2b ·
    • Hide content

No new shoes, thankfully! Thanks girls, that's decided - standing it is! ?

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

We sat for the sermon and were kneeling for the prayers.

• celo1
    Beginner May 2012
    celo1 ·
    • Hide content

We stood for all of ours, werent really given the option of sitting down. We could have kneeled for the prayers if we wanted but I didnt think I could get back up again once I'd knelt down so we stayed standing up.

• spaceman spiff
    Beginner May 2013
    spaceman spiff ·
    • Hide content

I seem to recall that William and Kate sat for part of their wedding, and that was about as formal as it gets, so it must be acceptable to sit. That said, I don't think anyone would bat an eyelid if you didn't sit.

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

Our venue ase if we wanted chairs for the ceremony and we were a little confused about it but said we only wanted them for signing of register!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Our venue had a lush purple velvet chaise longue towards the side of the room, facing guests, so we sat there. Was nice to rest a little but also to nudge/snuggle/ etc.

• C
    Beginner August 2012
    chloe_chloe ·
    • Hide content

We will probably sit for the readings and music interludes etc. But that very much depends on how easily I can sit in my dress. It only occurred to me after I'd ordered it that I never tried to sit down in the damn thing! ?

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We stood throughout.

• K
    Beginner December 2012
    kingfisher1923 ·
    • Hide content

I'm sure we'll be sitting down at some point, as there will probably be a sermon/talk of about 10 mins long I'd guess - as well as readings etc. Would prefer to stay standing though, so my dress and train stay as they should! Interesting to hear what others are doing. It hadn't occurred to me that we could keep standing through the readings etc.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics