Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

moonpie1985
Beginner July 2012

Anyone on here never been a bridesmaid?

moonpie1985, 26 July, 2011 at 11:40 Posted on Planning 0 25

I have never been a bridesmaid.

I used to think that I might like to be one, but now I don't think I would. To the point that when I asked my sisters, I was worried that they wouldnt want to do it and told them straight away that I am fine if they don't want to do it.

Anyone else never been a bridesmaid?

25 replies

Latest activity by Flowmojo, 26 July, 2011 at 15:58
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

I was a bridesmaid twice as a child (in the same awful aqua puffy 80's dress) but never as an adult.

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

☹️/

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content

Only once and it was last year. Tbh, my experience wasn't a great one!

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content

Three times but dont think I could do it again. Too much pressure.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you were asked to do it again, would you turn it down?

I think that would be the hard thing for me to know what to say.

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Will you expand on your experience and why it wasnt that great please?? Smiley smile

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

I was bridesmaid for the first time earlier this year for my sister, but I can't see I'll ever be one again.

• T
    Beginner
    Trickers ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Yes I would. The one person left to get married (who would def ask me to be her bridesmaid) would know my reasons for not wanting to and I would suggest maybe asking my daughter to be flower girl instead.

I think the only way I would ever be a bridesmaid again is if my dress was made. When I was bridesmaid for my sister my dress was from a bridal store and made to fit me. I felt very comfortable. The other two occasions the dress were from the high street and it didnt end well.

*I would never ask someone to go to the expense of having a dress made for me though.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

Meeee. I know it's childish but I'm still sad about it!

I chose mine carefully, and included my H's side by asking his sister. Because... When I was about 8 or so my favourite uncle, having previously been a bachelor-type, decided to get married. We were so close that my first word was his name and as a single man he would spend a lot of time at my parents. Then he met this woman, they decided to get married and didn't ask me to be anything. I now know that he wanted me to be a little BM or flowergirl or just something but she refused. Obviously I wouldn't mind if it happened now, but at the time I was devastated (privately... I was too polite a little girl to ask or to mention it) and we have very little left by way of a relationship.

As an adult, I think I'd enjoy being a bridesmaid, but none of my friends are at the marrying stage yet.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Was an adult BM a couple of years back, the favour to be reciprocated at my own nuptials. To be honest, I had to do very little for her (and, so far, her for me) so I didn't have any worries/problems with it. I went to a couple of dress shops (mostly as a preamble to boozy lunches), wore a pretty dress (not my thing but also not my place to object!) and gave a reading. Oh, and had to hand around some cake. That was it.

• Red Baroness
    Beginner July 2012
    Red Baroness ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well, there wasn't a MOH so it was a bit difficult trying to establish what my duties were. Asked the bride several times if she wanted me to organise the hen do (no response each time), only to ask her a final time 3 months before the wedding to be told yes. I was given a very precise list of what the bride wanted to do which was an absolute nightmare to try and organise at that late stage and for a reasonable price for everyone.

Dresses were made by a relative and despite going for a few fittings, they didn't fit properly (had to stick them up with t*t tape) and the boning wire poked through at all ends meaning we all had cuts by the wedding breakfast. Shoes were bought online (and not tried) and delivered about 2 weeks before the wedding and were extremely uncomfortable.

It was one big headache for me!

• hannioli
    Beginner April 2012
    hannioli ·
    • Hide content

I've never been a bridesmaid. I haven't asked my BMs to do anything as yet, well except for my MoH to come dress shopping with me. I'll probbaly ask her to help out with some more little things at a later date and she's looking in to hen do ideas, apart from that she's as involved as she wants to be, or as little involved, so I don't see it as an onerous role.

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

I've never had any involvement, other than a guest, at a wedding, apart from my b2b's sister's wedding last year when I was car park attendant.

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

I have never been, so when started wedding planning I wasnt sure what I was meant to do, what BM's were meant to do, what I should pay for etc etc. Thank goodness for Hitched, Facebook and Google

• moonpie1985
    Beginner July 2012
    moonpie1985 ·
    • Hide content

It sounds like I will be making it nice and easy for my bridesmaids then.

I have already got the dress so they havent needed to be dragged round bridal shops.

I have asked them to pick their own dresses in their own time and I will pay for them.

I don't fancy a big hen do, and wouldn't be too bothered if I was the one to organise it as I will be happy to book a table at a restaraunt and then go out for drinks after (although I have always liked to do the cheesy thing and have a limo!) Smiley laugh

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Was there an intricate plan? A tick sheet? The threat of removal if they didn't collect in time? Smiley winking

• T
    Beginner
    Teal ·
    • Hide content

I have NEVER been a bridesmaid or a flower girl!!! I was an usher once, but all I did was hand out the program and that was a last minute thing as they forgot to ask anyone!

I'm in my early 30's now so its unlikely I will be anyones maid of honour now ☹️

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

No, but there was a large umbrella which came in very handy. I also had my own high visibility jacket - and the amount of non-wedding cars that came belting round the corner and visibly slowed down, thinking that in my white shirt, tie and black trousers I was a copper...

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

Yeah i have about 14 years ago and the bride is repaying the favour. I really really hope that my bridesmaid have/will enjoyed being part of my wedding. I bought dresses that they all have said they like,i have not asked them to do anything apart from come for a fitting then sit and get pampered on the day with hair and make up. One is organising my hen do but she asked to do it and i have tried to help her a bit.

I have tried to think of little special things to do for them,i have bought them all wraps/stuff to wear in their hair if they want,gorgeous vanity mirrors,bags chosen to each individual taste (i hope),cath kidston tissues and i have ordered cards with "Thank you for being my bridesmaid" to give to them on the day that i will write a note to each thanking them and telling them how special they are to me.

• H
    Beginner October 2012
    haydee9 ·
    • Hide content

I've never been a bridesmaid or had any other role in a wedding ceremony except in my sister's wedding. instead of being a bridesmaid, i insisted to be just the wedding planner and the wedding photographer.

• Doris 5/10
    Beginner May 2013
    Doris 5/10 ·
    • Hide content

It will be my 6th time in October?

3 as a child, rest in the last 4 yrs.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I've been an adult bridesmaid 5 times, all with differing levels of involvement. I've enjoyed helping organise and any bridezilla moments I handled as best I could and supported the bride, because at the end of the day, I'm her friend and I'd do that in any situation, wedding or not.

Worst part of being a bridesmaid is trying to organise the hen to lots of people's tastes/budgets and basically having to communicate with those attending who I didn't know, so therefore were bitchy about my plans, and getting money out of them. In the end the bride had to step in and tell her own friends to grow up!!!

I was an adolecent bridesmaid at 14 and it was HELL, hated it. Lime green poofy dress the lot! I was just at an inbetween age - too old to be running around with the kids at the wedding, and too young to be getting plastered.

• Pompey
    Beginner June 2012
    Pompey ·
    • Hide content

I was once, at 6months old - however I was sick on my dress about 15000 times. I think perhaps a reputation was created as I haven't been one since!!

• 1234ABC
    Beginner
    1234ABC ·
    • Hide content

I've never been a bridesmaid, thought i was a flowergirl at my mums wedding way back in 1991!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Your reply to this post and the two others (I say two as the third has been deleted...) intrigue me...

• Flowmojo
    Beginner
    Flowmojo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

i love being a bridesmaid! ive only done it 3 times, once as a wee gitrl, once as teenager and once a couple years ago but i loved it and woudl happily do it again if anyone asks!!

*hitcher for rent as Bridesmaid, wlil wear any style expcetp bo peep and nothing in peach and light blue*

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics