Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs C
Beginner March 2011

Anyone use fimo/clay to make their own toppers?

Mrs C, 17 October, 2010 at 17:55 Posted on Planning 0 13

I want to have little penguins for our cake (it's H2B's nickname!) and have seen some really cute ones online but object to paying £100 for them!

13 replies

Latest activity by SarinaCain, 21 November, 2010 at 20:17
  • *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

Pics are cute , i like the bottom left the best and probably a bit easier to make.

I haven't made anything with clay for years but I would imagine that with the bottom left ones you could make the main egg shape body out of solid black and then add the bits on in a different colour for the tummy and eyes etc.

The top left and middle bottom are nice too but may be more difficult to do the white section??

What a nice idea

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Hey,

I could do them for £30 if you dont want to do them yourselves. Personally my favourite is the top row, middle one!

I'd make the bodies out of white and add the black. You can get Fimo in Hobbycraft. I suggest putting all the main bits together, baking it, then adding the little bits and re-bake it.

If you have anymore questions, want anymore help, or are interested in me doing them then drop me an email! I can do any design you like!

xxx

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Rebecca - I think I'll have a go and if I completely c*ck it up I'll drop you a line to rescue me!!! x

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content

Rebecca - can you make toppers that look like the bride & groom too? I was looking at some today but they're over £100 which seems a bit extravagant.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

I like the first ones and think they would be easy enough to make as it's mainly an egg/oval shape with white section cut out and placed on top. I love working with PMC (I don't use Fimo and prefer Sculpy as it's a better quality imo) so any questions just shout. x

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The first ones are my favourite...

Never heard of PMC - this is why I talk to you lovely ladies!

Do I make all the pieces, then bake them then glue them together? Or put it all together then bake?

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Just means clay, sorry. I'm so used to other people preferring to it as PMC it was second nature but I should have just said fimo but it's Polymer Clay so it's shortened to PMC which technically is the wrong abbv. to use. I just use Sculpy clay instead as I find it a bit better quality.

If you condition the clay enough it should stick together fine but you can use Liquid Fimo as a gluing agent if needed. I'd piece it all together and bake at once but I generally make smaller clay pieces so not sure if my method will work for your penguins. When sticking pieces together it can be hard not to push too hard and squash bits you don't want t but with patience you'll get there. Just buy a few blocks of clay and you'll have enough to play with.

• Shnarfy1
    Beginner November 2010
    Shnarfy1 ·
    • Hide content

Awww I love penguins, the top right couple are my favourite!

• rebecca2286
    Beginner April 2011
    rebecca2286 ·
    • Hide content

Hi Kirsty! Yep, I sure can! I know what you mean, they are really expensive!!

I can deff help you! You can have them in whatever outfits you like! I can do them in classic wedding outfits, or whatever else you like! For example I'm doing some for a couple that met at a fancy dress party!

If you're interested drop me an email with your ideas, colour scheme and maybe a photo of your dress and I'll let you know a price....it wont be £100 I can assure you!!!

Hope I can help!

*******************@*****.***

• kirstycat
    Beginner April 2011
    kirstycat ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Rebecca. I've sent you an e-mail

• Keltickurse
    Beginner March 2011
    Keltickurse ·
    • Hide content

I prefer the third ones - just remove the nest and give them feet - have a try to do it yourself first though before paying someone else to do it - I made a family of penguins out of icing for my christmas cake last year and they were pretty easy - can't imagine fimo being that different!

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Hi Lyns... where do you normally get your sculpey clay from? x

• slinkysarah
    Beginner June 2011
    slinkysarah ·
    • Hide content

They are so effing cute ?

• SarinaCain
    Beginner March 2011
    SarinaCain ·
    • Hide content

Im not sure I would be able to choose...knowing me I'd end up having them all lol

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics