Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

gsijane
Beginner September 2011

Anyone used pebbles instead of place cards?

gsijane, 26 June, 2011 at 20:31 Posted on Planning 0 5

Hi,

We came up with the idea of having pebbles for peoples names on the table. I'd seen it done elsewhere online and loved it.

My family have been up in scotland over the last week and picked us more than enough pebbles for the wedding, but my only problem now is that i don't know what to use to write on them with.

Has anyone had an experience of doing this and has any tips or advice? Our theme is purple and cream, but we're happy to write in silver (just not gold).

Thanks in advance!!

5 replies

Latest activity by raincloud, 27 June, 2011 at 17:59
  • ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Not yet but we've today decided on it for seat reservations for the ceremony - we're using pine cones for the placenames at the wb.

You can get paint/gel pens from hobby/art shops, and I'd suggest looking there. That's what we plan to do.

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

Hey date twin!! I like the idea of the pine cones!! Very rustic!! Do you think gel pens would look better than marker pens? I'll have to arrange a visit to hobby craft!

Also are you thinking of varnishing them after you've written on them?

• ajdown
    VIP September 2011
    ajdown ·
    • Hide content

Again the pine cones fitted in with getting married in the New Forest, we bought them from a florist wholesale place (box of 200) as they're kiln dried and smooth on the bottom so they sit flat - and we'll just wedge the name cards in the top.

I think a lot of what pen works best will depend on the stones - if you're using fairly light coloured stones then a marker pen (OHP/CD type pen) might work fine, but the "gel paint" type ones might be better plus they often come out thicker to leave a bit of raised detail on the stone.

Alternatively if you have a steady hand, painting the name with a fine-ish brush and acrylic paint might be a suitable option?

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

We're using pebbles and shells instead of place cards. I got a silver pen - kind of a cross between a marker and a felt tip and it worked perfectly. It wasn't expensive. I'm not at home at the moment but can check tonight for you as to the exact name and brand.

• gsijane
    Beginner September 2011
    gsijane ·
    • Hide content

Hi raincloud, if you could check that would be great. Our pebbles are quite light in colour and we've tried silver and its too light, but atleast if i know the make of yours i can get it in a different colour.

• raincloud
    Beginner August 2011
    raincloud ·
    • Hide content

Mine is called a 'uni paint marker' it was £2-£3 from amazon. From memory they have silver, gold, white and black but there may be other colours too. I have used it on shells and pebbles of a variety of colours and it seems fine. Hope that helps.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics