Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

nicnol
Beginner October 2011

Anyone with a John Lewis gift list?

nicnol, 23 May, 2011 at 15:09 Posted on Planning 0 18

How long before the list did you start adding things!? Ours doesn't open till 10 Sept but I'm itching to go down and start choosing stuff!!! We only having a few items that we know we need to go on there but I do want to take my time and choose the right things if you get me!? (an ironing board being one of them....I'm refusing to buy a new one until after the wedding......I'm sure ironing boards were never that expensive or is it just in John Lewis!?)

18 replies

Latest activity by bec84, 23 May, 2011 at 17:42
  • queencrunchy
    queencrunchy ·
    • Hide content

We did ours in April for a list that opens in June. No particular reason for that time frame, we just happened to need to go near it and thought we might as well.

Quite good fun, but my feet were killing me by the end of it. I usually only go to John Lewis to look for something specific, not browse the entire homewares department.

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

We went in March for a list opening in May. Got a complimentary coffee and cake too!

• A
    Beginner August 2011
    aliasdeb ·
    • Hide content

Hi - we did ours yesterday, we can continue to add things until June 3rd then it opens for guests on June 17th. It is easy to zap things then decide later if you want to increase the amounts or delete things online. We also got the free coffee and cake voucher - very welcome after all those decisions! I went round first and made a list of items then we were a bit more focussed, was quite pleased with it in the end as there were plenty of low value items so people would not feel obliged to spend too much. You can start your list whenever you want, but the nearer to the date you leave it the less likely things are to be discontinued. Enjoy!

• Liverbird
    Beginner August 2012
    Liverbird ·
    • Hide content

Can't help with your question at all but I just wanted to say I have this brabantia ironing board: /brabantia-titan-oval-ironing-board-l135-x-w45cm/p166796 and I ❤️ it! It's not a small thing but quite light for it's size, it's very sturdy, has a huge ironing surface and best of all it's very height adjustable - I'm 5ft 11" and have to stoop to use a normal board, but not with this one! Easily one of the best purchases we've made for our house. We did get it for around £50ish from Argos when they had a promotion on though.

I don't work for Brabantia, honest! 😆

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content

We did ours v. early because... you can do it online!! I added LOADS of stuff and then last month (a few weeks before it opened IIRC) we went to do the scanner thing in-store. We just checked on sizes (I'd added some Tupperware, but when we saw it in real life it would have held maybe 2 grapes!! so had to put bigger sizes on instead) and just added a few other bits and bobs that took our fancy. We also picked out chinaware and decided on the patterns we wanted.

This was IMO a LOT easier than going round and trying to add everything in one day. It also meant I could add things as I thought of them... I added a wok after trying to do a stir-fry in a saucepan.

ETA: We took SIL2B as she wanted to try the scanner thing. They gave us 2 vouchers for tea/coffee and cake, each voucher being valid for 2 people, so when we went to the cafe the lady insisted on giving us FOUR pastries between 3 of us and 'upgraded' H2B's hot chocolate to the "deluxe" version for free (he doesn't like tea or coffee). We were impressed!

• NikiST
    Beginner July 2011
    NikiST ·
    • Hide content

John Lewis is expensive. Period. I got a really nice big ironing board from Argos in the sales a couple of years ago for about £15.

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content

I've started online (so far only added the coloured chopping boards and egg cups!) but didn't want to get too carried away and add a load of stuff then look at in store and realise I don't really need it/want it! Is it easier enough to edit in store or do you have to do it online if there is stuff you have zapped at then decided against!?

We only live 5mins away from John Lewis so may even go and do it in a few stages.....h2b normally hates shopping but the zapper has convinced him to come with me!!

• Storky
    Beginner May 2011
    Storky ·
    • Hide content

JL shouldn't be expensive as they have a price promise. That's my go to shop for pretty much everything!

• P
    Beginner September 2011
    PrettySparkly ·
    • Hide content

My fiance and I have a gift list at John Lewis. I set it up in February to get all the cards through to send with the invites, but we still haven't been down to zap items - we're doing that this weekend (and the list opens on the 4th June).

We've waited because as much as I reaaaaaaaalllllly wanted to go and zap everything in sight the minute I got the gift list number, we decided it would be better to wait till closer to the opening date to make sure that what we zapped was still available for our guests to buy! Knowing John Lewis, probably nothing has changed in the past 3 months but you never know.

John Lewis recommend going about 2 weeks before the list opens, I think.

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

You can change stuff instore using the scanner but to be honest it's SO easy to do online that I'd really recommend that. Scan in whatever you want and then go home and edit once you've had a think.

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

still think i am in shock at price of ironing boards......I got mine out of asda's or wilko's 2 yrs ago and it's on its last legs! Def thinking of brabantia just for the 10yr guarantee! That's a nice one.....I'm only 5' 2" and OH is 5' 10" so will look at the height range on that one!! thanks x

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm a JL convert - better service and if anything is wrong with something I've bought there they are happy to change it straight away! I bought a watch there in October for my 30th and I've had a minor problem with one of the dials on the watch.....had it changed 3 times now and touch wood this one has been fine but everytime I went in to see them they were so accommodating that I felt like a special customer! Good service goes a long way!

• S
    Beginner June 2011
    Salari ·
    • Hide content

We've got a list - i think we added stuff about a month before it opened - I wanted to go right away, but we resisted.

it's quite exciting checkign it to see when people have bought you stuff as well!!!

• Saisi
    Beginner June 2011
    Saisi ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Can second this!! My mum and MIL2B told me I shouldn't be looking but sod that, I want to know?

Most people have written sweet if generic messages like "congratulations and all best wishes for the future" etc whereas my aunties bought us a matching set of Mr and Mrs mugs and wrote as their message "If either of you break the mugs we'll kill you!" ? (This from the pair that said "Beer please" when asked for dietary requirements! I love them!)

• MrsB_2_be
    Beginner August 2011
    MrsB_2_be ·
    • Hide content

We were told not to add anything until 12 weeks before the list opens because the prices and ranges may change x

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly. The only reason they seem expensive is because they tend to stock more 'high end' brands but they actually sell these brands at very good value prices. (IMO anyway!)

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

cool....that means 18th June for me so not too long to wait! It does make sense as I would hate to add something to then have to find an alternative. Maybe I'll set a side a day in July to go an do it In the meantime I will attack the online adding things to gift list option!

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I got married in September, and I think we went at the end of May. Was lovely to get a little scanner thing, and a coffee and a cake! Spent most of the day at the on in Cheadle running around and zapping stuff (I then came home, and signed in and removed quite a bit of it after some deliberation!)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics