Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

snow bride
Beginner June 2016

Anyone's OH's have a Best Woman?

snow bride, 1 of March of 2015 at 22:24 Posted on Planning 0 8

My OH has been umming and awwing since we got engaged (2 years ago!) about who to have as his best man. We're part of a big social circle and he had kind of come to the conclusion that he would just have all of them and have 3 men.

We had a chat tonight again and he still isn't sure. So I asked him 'who would you class as your dearest, closest friend' and it's one of our female friends (and actually the only one in the social circle that wasn't my friend first, lol). So I suggested her!

Has anyone else had a best woman? Did it work practically? She was going to be a bridesmaid, so she can still wear a bridesmaid dress and she can do a speech / help out on the day.

Stag wise, we had planned a joint weekend so thats ok. Although we had planned to split up one of the evenings, but I'm sure the groomsmen can be left in charge for that section! (She's one of my best friends too, so I'd still like her to come play with me too. Lol).

Anyone else? Would love to hear how it went!

8 replies

Latest activity by Cat D, 2 of March of 2015 at 21:31
  • M
    Beginner April 2016
    MrsRees2B ·
    • Hide content

H2b is she's his best friend. She's not going to wear a bridesmaids dress as she's not a bridesmaid. We're all gonna go dress shopping together. She's actually been more involved than my bridesmaids lol I've no problem though as she's a very good friend.

• C
    Beginner July 2015
    celticcurl ·
    • Hide content

OH is having his sister. She is wearing a dress that has picked out some of the colours of his kilt. I ordered lots of dresses for her to try after looking on line with her - turned out the style I had in my head for her was exactly the shape she liked. I like to think I'm good a judging what will suit different peoples body shapes. I told her we would keep ordering until we found one she loved but turned out the first one I'd picked was the one (I insisted on her trying more to be sure and also because it was massively reduced I didn't want her picking something just to save us money). OH really likes what she chose too.

She is definitely the person (apart from me!) that he would turn to, rely on etc. She will always be in his life. I think she was really pleased to be asked. She isn't going on his stag do - having grown up with him she has no desire to put up with him and his mates on another drunken binge. Her husband will probably go.

• AKWedding
    Beginner August 2015
    AKWedding ·
    • Hide content

Sound like a brilliant idea for modern times! Perhaps she can wear a dress which is slightly different to the BM dresses so she can stand out as being Best Woman?

I went to a wedding where the Bride has a Man of Honour and the Groom had his grown-up daughter as Best Woman. I agree the roles should reflect the importance of the people in your lives, rather than being dictated by gender.

• Sarah Ellen Bailey
    Sarah Ellen Bailey ·
    • Hide content

I was a best woman at a friends wedding a few years ago... all worked fine on every level. I think the most important thing is that it's the right person, doesn't matter what sex they are! Smiley smile

• FutureMrsMcCall
    Beginner October 2016
    FutureMrsMcCall ·
    • Hide content

If you're happy with it then I don't see a problem - one of my exes used to say that if we got married, he wanted his EX GIRLFRIEND as his 'best man'. It was one of the many clues that he wasn't The One, especially as he knew I hated her and would have hated to see her standing at the top of the aisle with him on my wedding day. That said, we were very young and stupid and we never even got engaged, so it hardly mattered in the end.

If you're both completely on-board with it then I don't see any reason not to go for it Smiley smile

• I-go-by-many-names
    Super April 2015
    I-go-by-many-names ·
    • Hide content

My OH isn't having a best woman as he wanted his brother to be best man however we are having an 'usherette' who is OH's oldest friend. To be honest she hasn't been involved at all. We bought her a lovely designer dress which she described as 'good' and took a week to even try on and apart from going to OH's stag weekend at the end of this week she has had nothing to do with the wedding at all.

• C
    Beginner October 2015
    Cat D ·
    • Hide content

We are having a best couple! The female of the couple is going to wear a different dress to my BMs but that ties in with the colours of the BMs and the groom Smiley laugh

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics