Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Pina Colada
Beginner September 2013

Anything can do to prevent odd airing cupboard smell tainting my towels?

Pina Colada, 1 of November of 2008 at 13:21 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 5

As title really? An odd smell penetrates our towels once they have been stored in the airing cupboard. Not sure if it's the wood that the shelves are made from or what but can't smell it when open the door - only on the towels?

Really would like to continue storing linen in there as lovely and warm but it's really bugging me. Any products out there designed to combat such a problem?

5 replies

Latest activity by Charles, 21 of April of 2023 at 09:39
  • Fairyclown
    Fairyclown ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We used to get this too.

I'd put my towwels away smelling of fresh air and fabric conditioner, and they'd come out smelling odd.

I bought a paacket of tumble drier sheets and placed a few on top of and in between the towels.

Bit of a pain in the bum, but worked a little!

• Pina Colada
    Beginner September 2013
    Pina Colada ·
    • Hide content

I had considered doing this but thought would just check if anything more convenient first!

The smell is almost rusty if that makes sense?

• Flaming Nora
    Beginner May 2003
    Flaming Nora ·
    • Hide content

Can you paint the shelving?

Failing that I would put something on the shelves (such as paper or sheet of thin plastic) and add a small solid air freshner in there like this

• Fairyclown
    Fairyclown ·
    • Hide content

We thought the smell was coming from the boiler as the cupboard houses this too.

We also keep looses bars of soap in there and although we can smell the soapy smell when we open the cupboard, there is still a faint trace of "that" smell on the towels.

I've actually got to the stage where it doesn't bother me as much as I use a fresh towel every day (but that's another argument! lol)

• Pina Colada
    Beginner September 2013
    Pina Colada ·
    • Hide content

Thanks will try some of these things.

Can't believe the title has had ... added to the end when it would have been shorter to have just had the original '?' which these have replaced?!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics