Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

O
Beginner July 2011

Apostille on birth certificate?

onlytook10years, 13 of April of 2011 at 11:50 Posted on Planning 0 6

Can any of you lovely ladies help me please? My OH and I are flying to St. Kitts to get married at the end of June, but I can't find my birth certificate ? So, I need to order a new one, but a site I've just been on has given me the option to have a legalisation for it to be used abroad called an apostille(sp?) Do I need this extra thing on it? Anyone that's been married abroad, particularly in the west indies, or is planning on marrying abroad, did you/do you have one on your birth certificate?

6 replies

Latest activity by Fatima, 2 of October of 2020 at 16:14
  • LoveSka
    Beginner October 2011
    LoveSka ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I was married in Jamaica (1st marriage) and just used my standard birth certificate. You can go to the registry office that your birth was registered at and get one.

I would be careful of internet sites. My OH found a site that want £10 to check that you had filled in his 'fishing license' application correctly. He only had to put his name and address on it, , , , lol

xx

• O
    Beginner July 2011
    onlytook10years ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for that, my mam was trying to convince me a "normal" birth certificate would be all that's needed but it stressed me a bit when I first saw that option. I have been in touch with my city council and it's only £9 for the copy certificate, whereas this other company wanted £15 to contact exactly the same council and request my certificate for me?

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Some countries do require an apostille on documents such as birth certificates. You should check with the St Kitts authorities or your co-ordinator if you have one. The FCO in Milton Keynes will help you if one is needed.

• bec84
    Beginner
    bec84 ·
    • Hide content

I got married in Greece - We both needed our full birth certificate and they both needed an Apostille, as did our certificates of No Impediment.

I went down to the FCO in Milton Keynes and got them done - you can post them off to them as well but it takes a little longer. I wouldnt pay anyone on the internet to do it, as only the FCO can actually issue the Apostille, so anyone on the net saying they can do it will be taking them to the FCO anyway (and probably trying to make money based on peoples lack of understanding of the process)

Speak to your wedding planner and double check what the requirements are for St Kitts xx

• O
    Beginner July 2011
    onlytook10years ·
    • Hide content

I may be having a proper blonde moment here, but what is the FCO? ?

I'm pretty glad I stumbled upon it on to be honest, I'd never heard of an Apostille before.

• snowboardgirl82
    Beginner April 2011
    snowboardgirl82 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

FCO is now only accepting posted applications and no longer open for over the counter services.

Some websites try to charge a fortune on making the apostille request. You can do it yourself and shouldnt take longer than 4-5 days once it has arrived to their office.

Some countries request legalised documents, but please check that with the embassy or your wedding planner.

Here is official website about Apostille : https://www.apostille.org.uk/

and this link will take you to FCO website and explains how to apply: https://www.gov.uk/get-document-legalised

x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics