Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner February 2023 Somerset

Appropriate wedding shoes

Monica, 13 of January of 2023 at 22:07 Posted on Wedding Attire 0 8
Three of my family members have said that they are going to bring their trainers and put them on in the evening. It’s a formal wedding. I’ve told them all no trainers, they can wear sandals or pumps. They said that pumps are ugly/old lady shoes and have all joked that they are going to bring their trainers anyway. Anyone want to back me up on this? My OH agrees but feel like I’m being outnumbered.

8 replies

Latest activity by Vera, 17 of January of 2023 at 12:42
  • H
    Expert November 2022 Lincolnshire
    Hayley ·
    • Hide content
    It's tricky because you are completely entitled to set a dress code for your wedding. But you need to agree on what the consequences would be if anyone broke it. If you saw these 3 people wearing trainers in the evening, would you be happy to tell them to leave? If so, then you can make that threat now and say this is the dress code and anyone not meeting it will be asked to leave. However, if you are not happy with that then there isn't much you can do other than ask them not to.
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    My hubby and I put trainers (blingy ones) on in the evening as was way more comfortable l would say that it is a small thing and as they are going to change in the evening I wouldn't let it stress you out. By this point all the photos are done and personally, it really wouldn't bother me just 3 people, I would suspect if they hadn't had said you wouldn't even notice.
  • A
    Dedicated October 2023 Surrey
    AmesLou ·
    • Hide content

I 100% back you up on this! I'm not even sure it's a case of having an actual dress code, it's more just general wedding etiquette (slightly different if the bride and groom specifically want this, however). Disclaimer: I don't even own a pair of trainers!

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Unless you are going to ban people from your wedding if they wear something you don't like, there's not much you can do about it, so I would try not to let it get to you. I doubt you'll actually notice what anyone is wearing anyway, once you get to your actual wedding day!

• L
    Rockstar July 2023 Greater Manchester
    Lisa ·
    • Hide content
    I honestly wouldn’t let it stress you out. They could be winding you up, if you made a big fuss over it, or they could be serious. I doubt they’re gonna be throwing their trainer-wearing in peoples faces though. It’s quite normal to change from heels/dress shoes, to something more comfy in the evening. I’d personally choose dolly shoes/sandals, as my only trainers are very bright blue & pink for the gym, but chances are they’ll pick something that goes with their formal outfits from the daytime anyway, and you’re only going to notice as they’ve told you about it.

• S
    Rockstar April 2023 West London
    Sarah ·
    • Hide content

Is the “no trainers” rule stipulated by you or by the venue? If it’s a rule the venue has, then they need to follow it or they’ll be asked to leave. If it’s a rule you’ve set down, I think it’s fine for the ceremony and reception, but once the evening starts then I think you might be fighting a losing battle. You’ll be having the time of your life enjoying your wedding, so you almost certainly won’t even think about it.

• Ellen91
    Dedicated October 2023 West London
    Ellen91 ·
    • Hide content
    Personally I don’t see it as much of an issue. Most likely they just want to be in comfy shoes for dancing after most likely quite a long day in heels/ sandals etc. I wouldn’t let it worry you too much. I can’t handle heels for very long so always bring some flats to a wedding for the evening dancing and will be wearing converse in the evening at my own wedding.
  • George
    Dedicated July 2023 Kent
    George ·
    • Hide content
    I think it is a bit tricky as you can't really force people to wear what they don't like but I am Leaning more towards your side as I went to a family wedding last year and when I swapped from my loafers I swapped into a more comfortable pair of ballet flats/pumps and didn't mind that even though I'm a man they looked like old womens shoes

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics