Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Keltickurse
Beginner March 2011

civil ceremony music

Keltickurse, 9 April, 2010 at 00:40 Posted on Planning 0 4

I'm in a bit of a dilemma at the moment - o/h is leaving this decision entirely up to me, and i can't decide whether to be extravagant or not.

Since hearing one at a wedding fayre a few months ago - I have really liked the idea of having a string quartet for the ceremony and drinks reception.

the problem is i'm not sure i can justify the £500 price tag that goes with it. My mothers telling me its too expensive, as i already mentioned O/H wont give an opinion and theres only so may decisions i can make by myself.

The thing is I really don't want to walk down the aisle to a CD - this is the only thing O/H has given an opinion on - he doesn't want that either.

Tonight I also looked up harpists - but its just not the same.

I feel like i've been making cost savings and compromises for budgets all along, so my mam telling me 'i don't have to have it all' hit a bit of a sore note as well.

Can anyone help - opinions or suggestions for a cheaper variation?

Alternatively does anyone know of a string quartet - perhaps students that are just starting out who would cover the Swansea/Gower area and would therefore cost less??

4 replies

Latest activity by ADon, 13 April, 2010 at 15:12
  • aliaisp
    Beginner July 2010
    aliaisp ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Have u considered a string trio? we're having one cos i didnt want a CD either! they are cheaper and can produce very similar sound. and still give that special 'romantic' touch. search on this forum cos i kno we have had threads about this before

    and if you can afford it, no harm in splurging a bit on this luxury - if you cant 'have it all' on your own wedding day then when can you! xx

    • Reply
  • GeordieBarbie
    Beginner May 2010
    GeordieBarbie ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    We're having a string quartet - they're playing for 2 hours (ceremony and drinks reception) and we're paying £390. As mentioned, a string trio is cheaper but not suitable for us as the song I want for the signing of the register is a quartet only.

    Maybe shop around? I got 2 quotes and theywere within £5 or eachother (though the other one didn't have my regitser song in their reotoire so it would have been additional costs to get them to do it).

    Also, what about contacting a universitiy music department?

    This is my one extragavance of the day. I got my dress from China and haven't really bought anything or having any really out of the ordinary so this was something I decided I would like.

    • Reply
  • emsa1
    Beginner May 2011
    emsa1 ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    As a bit of an aside I would say the £500 fee is quite reasonable - having been to a couple of fayres around our venue in cardiff Ive seen them quoting up to £1000+ for string quartets in the wales area. i dont know of any students in the area that would do it cheaper but will keep my eyes open for you

    as aliaisp says it is your wedding day and if its something you will regret not having why not splash out this once, you do say you have cut back and comprimised all along.

    if it's going to cause waves with your mum, either tell her the cost was less than it was, or dont tell her you've booked them until the day!!!!! xx

    • Reply
  • Mrs_M_2b
    Beginner July 2012
    Mrs_M_2b ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    I dont fancy walking down the aisle to a cd either. We have hired a piper for the day (were from scotland) i had suggested him piping me down the aisle to which he is doing. Smiley laugh

    • Reply
  • A
    ADon ·
    • Report
    • Hide content

    Hi,

    I am in a String Quartet based in Cardiff. Depending on if we're free for the day we would charge £260 for the first hour and then £100 for every hour after this (plus travel). If this sound like something you would be interested in contact me at **************@*******.**.**.

    • Reply

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

×

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics