Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

I Do
Curious September 2022 Buckinghamshire

Are guests on the Stag/hen automatically invited to the whole day?

I Do, 15 of February of 2022 at 15:25 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 16
We're arranging groups of around 20 people each to come to our stag/hen, some we've already planned to invite to the day as they are family. Others were going to be invited to the evening only, but would they normally be invited to the day? Would it be seen as rude if they made the effort to come on the do but were then only invited to the reception?
I don't know what the etiquette is.
I'm pretty sure there's enough room at the venue and we're not having a wedding breakfast but it would mean increasing the numbers for the buffet and drinks reception after the ceremony.

16 replies

Latest activity by Albertquary, 20 of February of 2022 at 00:57
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    It is entirely up to you but I think traditionally you would expect an invite to the whole day I'd you have been on the stag/hen. That said, you are having a large number to each so you probably could get away with not inviting all of them, may be worth explaining to them as it is a big cost and I personally would probably not attend if I wasn't going to the whole wedding

• I Do
    I Do ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. 😊
  • Littlemy
    Dedicated April 2022 Kent
    Littlemy ·
    • Hide content
    I also think it depends in the stag/hen activities, planned. I've been to some where it cost the attendees a lot of money. If I'm paying £100+ for the hen party but not invited to the whole day I would think it was a bit cheeky, however if it's just a few drinks I wouldn't give an evening invite a second thought.
  • I Do
    I Do ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Ol, and I'll help you to remove yourself from this site for spamming 😃
  • R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Usually anyone invited to the hen or stag do would expect an invite to the whole wedding. For any guests not invited to the whole thing, I think it would be polite to explain - something along the lines of 'we're limited in how many people we can invite to our ceremony, but we'd love you to come to our evening reception and also my hen do'. That way, they know what they're being invited to up front.

I also think it depends on what kind of hen/stag do you are having. I've been to a couple where I haven't been invited to the whole wedding, but they've just been an evening at a nice restaurant or an afternoon tea. If it's a whole weekend thing, or they are having to travel long distance to attend, then it's a bit harder to exclude them from the wedding.

• I Do
    I Do ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you. 😊
  • A
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content
    I’d personally be a bit hurt if I was invited to the hen but not the whole wedding… remember that for the hen you’re probably shelling out money, definitely time, and it’s just for the bride as you can’t even bring your OH. I’d think about why you’re inviting people to your hen that don’t make the cut for the full wedding day (unless the ceremony is 10 people!) as if they’re important enough to be at the hen i would have thought they’d be important enough for the wedding?
  • E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content

I've been on receiving end of being invited to a hen do and not the wedding. First time it was explained to me that there would be no wedding invite which I was fine with as we weren't particularly close and it was a cheap night out.
    The second time I felt slightly duped. It was a colleagues hen do based in Bristol (we worked in London). We accepted the invite, booked train tickets and a hotel, only after did we realise we weren't invited to the wedding, it was never made clear. I think if you want people to come to your hen do an invite to the reception at least is a must otherwise it appears as though you either just want bodies at your party but don't really care enough about them to have them at your wedding. Since then I've turned down invites to hen parties when I'm not invited to the wedding.

• I Do
    I Do ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Thank you - I wouldn't dream of inviting people to the hen and not, at least, the reception 😲

• E
    Dedicated October 2022 East London
    Ebony ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Yes, I don't think I could do that either. Defo a reception invite.
  • Luxuriouspinkcars60789
    Curious October 2022 Cheshire
    Luxuriouspinkcars60789 ·
    • Hide content

I have a couple of extra girls coming to my hen do that, were added on after we booked everything. Due to venue number restrictions i wont be able to invite to the full day. I've felt really bad about it, as they jumped at the opportunity of joining the hen party which is a week in Jamaica, so not cheap but all I can do is invite them to the evening. Trying to make myself feel better by saying it'll still be worth having a girlie holiday.

• I Do
    I Do ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    Oh wow! Can I come?! I'm happy not to be invited to your wedding 😄

• Luxuriouspinkcars60789
    Curious October 2022 Cheshire
    Luxuriouspinkcars60789 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

The more the merrier Smiley laugh Smiley laugh Smiley laugh

• L
    Beginner May 2023 Surrey
    Laura ·
    • Hide content
    Hey! I’ve been on the receiving end of this situation and now I’m planning my own wedding I wouldn’t invite anyone to the hen do who wasn’t going to be invited to the whole day. Invites hadn’t been sent before I agreed to the hen do and so receiving just an evening invite after spending £250+ on attending the hen do was a little upsetting. I think, as others suggested, if you tell them you can only invite them to the evening but would love them to come along to your hen, you are putting the choice with them which I know I would have appreciated. Have a wonderful hen do! Xx
  • Becky
    Beginner August 2022 Northamptonshire
    Becky ·
    • Hide content
    I think as long as you are honest up front so people can decide whether they want to attend the hen/stag do, then that would probably be fine. Particularly if the event might be costly.
    We originally were only going to be inviting parents, siblings and grandparents to the ceremony (just a week day registry room wedding at 4pm) with extended family and friends all invited to the reception venue a couple of hours later. I told everyone I knew up front that the wedding was going to be small as to manage expectations in regards of invites to the ceremony, and said to my two best friends (plus my Mum, who is also a best friend to me) that it was no problem at all if they couldn’t afford (or didn’t want) to come to a hen do. However, my two friends were both fine with it and said they would be happy to come so all 4 of us are going to Southern Italy for a few nights (£270.00pp for accommodation and flights) to stay in a cottage with a pool not far from the coast to relax and hopefully do a small bit of sight seeing (my Mum’s not very mobile, so it won’t be action packed). I’m viewing it more as a holiday with my fave people rather than a party for me anyway as I’m not a fan of being the centre of attention!
    Though my partner changed his mind and decided to invite all his close friends to the ceremony so now my 2 besties are coming anyway after all that…
  • I Do
    I Do ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message
    That sounds lovely 😊
    The hen and stag do are only an afternoon of quad biking and shooting followed by a meal, so not too expensive. 13 ladies are coming for the whole day with another 7 just for the meal, the stag is similar but on a different day.
    I'm pretty sure there's enough capacity to invite everyone to the ceremony too so we're going to do that.The more the merrier as another B2B said 😄

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics