Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

FutureMrsMcCall
Beginner October 2016

Are marquees in autumn a terrible idea?

FutureMrsMcCall, 8 of February of 2015 at 21:02 Posted on Planning 0 12

We've picked 26th October 2016 as our wedding date Smiley smile it has to be that particular date to accommodate some of our family, on both sides, and we're both happy with it, because we're both autumn people as well and love the time of year.

I also have a semi-formed idea of what I want the wedding to look like, as does my fiance - we'd like to have the ceremony and reception in one place (does not have to be licensed as we'll probably have a blessing and do the legal bits beforehand), somewhere outdoorsy like a barn or a woodland area, preferably in a marquee or with a marquee extension. Our colours are cream, dark brown and gold.

My mum is being a bit resistant about it - she's helping me look for venues and keeps asking whether I'm sure about doing it in autumn, or in a marquee, etc etc. I feel fairly confident that a marquee is not a terrible idea, but she keeps bringing it up. Has anyone here been married or at least been inside a marquee in autumn? How was it?!

12 replies

Latest activity by Emm1983, 10 of February of 2015 at 11:55
  • MadamRed
    Beginner April 2017
    MadamRed ·
    • Hide content

I haven't been inside a marquee in autumn, but I've been inside one in the middle of a storm in summer when it's been freezing and pouring with rain. Equally, I've been on a beach in the South sunbathing at the end of September. You take a risk with British weather whatever the season. If you want a marquee, don't let the fact that it's going to be autumn put you off. Just make sure you're prepared in case you don't get a nice calm day.

• Mrs.K2b
    Beginner August 2015
    Mrs.K2b ·
    • Hide content

Are you thinking of finding a spot to hire and then put a marquee on, or a venue that already has a marquee? Our reception venue is at a walled garden which has a marquee as a permanent structure, it's been there for about 3 years. Although our wedding is in August, they hold weddings all year round, with Christmas parties every weekend in December and January. We went last week for our menu tasting, and with the heater on it was toasty warm!

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

It can be a risk regardless of the time of year really. We've shot through flooding and storms in August through to perfectly gorgeous days in November and everything in between.

We actually shot on October 26th 2014 and it was a lovely day, but quite cold. If you're prepared to invest in some heating for your marquee and you get a decent day, you should be fine, but for me personally it'd be too much of a risk, assuming it's a non-permnent one. We've shot on halloween a couple of times too, which is less than a week later and although dry, it's always been freeeezing.

I think it also depends on the type or marquee. Are you talking a permanent fixture that's lined with lots of layers, or something else?

• FutureMrsMcCall
    Beginner October 2016
    FutureMrsMcCall ·
    • Hide content

I'm open to any options really - I like the idea of a marquee not attached to anything else, surrounded by woods and fields, but I don't mind the idea of one attached to a venue either and I'm leaning towards that because I'd rather have somewhere with decent loos! My grandmother isn't terribly steady on her feet any longer and those portable toilets that come with marquees look a bit wobbly.

To be honest having looked at the costs last night, a marquee by itself isn't even that cheap! So I'm going to see if we can find a venue which has one already in place Smiley smile

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

I hope they aren't a terrible idea as I'm having one at the beginning of this October!

Im not sure I understand why your Mum thinks it would be a terrible idea?

Our marquee is a permanent fixture of the manor house we are also using. It has heating (& air con), windows, carpets, gorgeous chandeliers and a beautiful dance floor and stage area! The toilets and bar are in the manor house which is connected to the marquee via a red carpet and a star lit tunnel! Its so pretty!!!!

We will be in our marquee all day from about 2pm untill midnight! It's big enough to house all the tables we need for our sit down breakfast, plus extra space for the evening entertainment and evening food.

We are adding some LED uplighters so that it creates an atmosphere; and honestly I couldnt be more excited to be having our wedding in a Marquee!

Maybe sit down with your mum and ask why she is so warey about the marquee?

I am biased, but I think a marquee wedding is a perfect idea!

• FutureMrsMcCall
    Beginner October 2016
    FutureMrsMcCall ·
    • Hide content

Sparkly Bear - I think she's worried it'll be really cold and miserable! Glad to hear someone else is doing it - can I ask what your venue is? It sounds lovely Smiley smile

• S
    Simply Ceremonies Uk ·
    • Hide content

As long as the marquee has hot air piped through you should be fine.

A marquee wedding is lovely in the Autumn and your colour scheme sounds great. I'm sure it will be fantastic.

Karina

www.celebrant-uk.co.uk

• Sparkly Bear
    Beginner October 2015
    Sparkly Bear ·
    • Hide content

https://ashtonlodgecountryhouse.com/

This is our venue! If you scroll down on the first page there is a picture of the marquee with yellow pom poms! There are other various pictures of the marquee on other pages!

We are using our local church to get married, then we are having our welcome drinks in the manor house before moving into the marquee for everything else!

I get where you mum is coming from; I think that when people think of a marquee they sometimes just think of a big white tent in the middle of a field with no heating and where the toilets are outside behind a bush! We are lucky in the fact that ours is connected to the country house and that the marquee is a permanent fixture. Although they are currently redoing it and building a brand new one! (The current one is quite a few years old and looking a little worn!)

I am a total advocat for having a wedding in a marquee - it can be an amazing venue!

What have the marquees been like that you have looked at? Are they permanent fixtures with all the trimmings or ones that you get the shell and then would need to get the tables, toilets and bar for etc?

I think either can work! The permanent fixture is a little easier to sort as everything is provided, but even ones where you have the shell and then source everything to go into them can be amazing. Usually a marquee supplier has a long list of other suppliers that you can contact!

xx

• thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk
    thespectrumband@hotmail.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We have played in Marquees over the winter and they have always been great! So long as the hot air system is cranked up then you will be fine. I think it was last year when the whole theme was autumn colours with trees inside the marquee...it was so cool!

James x

• HelenSomerset
    Beginner September 2014
    HelenSomerset ·
    • Hide content

I've been to a marquee wedding at the end of September and it was glorious weather. Could not have been better. Even been to a part marquee wedding in winter and it was also fine as there was some heating. If it is what you want, go for it. As others have said, you can never rely on the weather so heaters on standby will be fine!

• M
    Beginner August 2016
    Moonbeam88 ·
    • Hide content

My works christmas due is often in a big marque and that's always perfectly warm enough even in dec.

Watch your cost though if your thinking of hiring a marquee as opposed to one at a venue... My friend did this and it ended up costing her waaay more than she budgeted. She had to hire loos, seating, lighting, flooring a bar a generator etc etc and her cheap option ended up being anything but! X

• E
    Beginner August 2015
    Emm1983 ·
    • Hide content

Our marquee is also used for Christmas doos, and is still lovely and warm inside at Christmas. The only problem you might have is getting married in it, as you said you wanted it all in one place. I'm not sure if it's the same for all but at ours we have to get married in the hotel then wedding breakfast and reception in marquee. Something to do with it having no licence due to no foundations. X

• E
    Beginner August 2015
    Emm1983 ·
    • Hide content

Sorry just read the bit about it not having to be licenced haha x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics