Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Are Registry office's strict?

9 June, 2009 at 11:59 Posted on Planning 0 8

I've been told that I can have a maximum of 34 people in the suite where i'm getting married but I've got 35 to invite!!!! A couple are kids and I asked at the registry office if one of them could sit on their parents knee but they said no way, they have to have a seat. I cant invite 1 person without their partner so I'm wondering if I should chance 35 turning up. Would the registrar really throw someone out of my wedding?? What would you do???

?

xx

8 replies

Latest activity by BlurpImpala, 9 June, 2009 at 22:02
  • ooh la la
    Beginner August 2013
    ooh la la ·
    • Hide content

I personally, would keep quiet, and invite all 35.

I can't imagine that they will count them in or do a register!

You might find you have a drop out, too.

x

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

One person? i think you'll be fine.... have you called them to ask?

if they bring it up as an issue on the day, just say you miscounted!

(it may be more to do with comfort as opposed to anything else like health and safety....)

welcome to hitched btw ?

• ashmegdj
    Beginner August 2009
    ashmegdj ·
    • Hide content

Our local office would, and have, thrown people out asked them to leave before.

There is a set amount of seats and everyone has to be sat down.

You might find somebody drops out but personally I wouldn't chance it.

Is there not a bigger room or is that it? Also have you allowed for you and your hubby?!

Hope you sort it out.

ETA: there was more than one person too many in this case, but it was only 3.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

It is usually down to the insurance that the venue has. Thats why they will often apply the hardline approach. If it became known that they were flouting the insurers limitations on numbers, they would be in trouble, with the likelihood of their insurance being revoked and then being unable to perform marriages.

Not the answer you wanted.......sorry.....

Peter

edited to add that I have had situations where the venue will leave the room door open so that additional guests can stand outside the room although still see and hear whats going on....not ideal, although a sort of compromise (depending on your venues layout and registrars approach) It circumvents the insurance issue as that person is not technically in the room.

• bluewater
    Beginner August 2009
    bluewater ·
    • Hide content

You're welcome italie - are you going to give them a call just to double check? i'm sure if you explain the situation they'll be able to suggest a way around it or a compromise? (btw my OH moved from glasgow to kent to marry me! i lived there too for a while)

stick around - there are plenty of scottish hitchers here, and we're always here with good and extremely honest advice!

• MrsShepherdtobe
    Beginner April 2010
    MrsShepherdtobe ·
    • Hide content

Italie

If it Park Circus then they are really strict, I think they would check everyone has a seat ☹️

Lx

• B
    Beginner August 2009
    BlurpImpala ·
    • Hide content

I think there is a legal limit to the number of people who can be in the room for a civil wedding - the room is registered for that number. Not a health or safety or comfort issue. You could chance it as they probably won't count and risk someone having to step outside.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics