Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner November 2004

Are there any other straighteners as good as ghd's (but not as pricey)

tabitha, 22 of November of 2008 at 19:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

Hi

OH was going to buy me some ghd's for xmas but they are so so expensive, are there any others nearly as good, he doesnt mind the price but we really cant afford that much. dont mind him spending 50 or 60 but equally dont want him to waste the money on alternatives if i'm going to be disappointed with them

thanks

20 replies

Latest activity by Ali_G, 17 of March of 2015 at 14:26
  • Flaming Nora
    Beginner May 2003
    Flaming Nora ·
    • Hide content

My friend has these and they are fandabbydozey.

https://www.ghs-direct.com/

• M
    Beginner
    Marmite ·
    • Hide content

I posted on a question similar to this the other day - imo there are no straightners that match up to ghds - you will be wasting your money buying cheap versions - I know!! I brought three when my ghds broke - all rubbish! I now have some new ghds - they are the best!

• T
    Beginner November 2004
    tabitha ·
    • Hide content

Thank you for your answers

i think i knew in my heart of hearts that it would have to be the real thing!

oh well, ghd's for meeeeeee!

• Sharonhair HIB
    Sharonhair HIB ·
    • Hide content

I bought Kodo ones last year and they are okay.

I am a hairdresser and don't use them on my own hair as i have poker straight hair. I occasionally use them when working , ( if client wants it straightend , even though i have got it straight after a blow dry ?)

I didn't want to spend a lot on them as I would rather have better scissors, so at last years hairdressing exibition at ExCel I went from stand to stand trying to work out the best value for money.

GHD did not have a stand that year, so i was torn between Kodo and Corioliss.

I had heard on the hairdressing grapevine, that Kodo straightners were made in the same Factory as GHD's.

The guy that imports the Kodo range was not able to confirm this as fact.

But what he told me was .....He 'Belived' that the parnership that first made GHD's had a falling out and parted company.

this other partner went on to manufacture the Kodo Brand.

He said that he couldn't say this as a marketing fact but that he 'Belived' this to be true.

He emphasised the 'Belive' , several times.

so , having used them myself , they are as hot as GHD's and would say if they are cheaper it could be an option.

also I think it depends on the unruliness of your hair wwhether other brands are any good.

hope that all makes sense...I've had a couple of glasses of red....?

sharon.x

• Ronypoo
    Beginner March 2008
    Ronypoo ·
    • Hide content

My hairdressers uses FHI's - and they go thru my unruly mop like butter

I still have a pair of 5 year old babylis that heat upto 190- and are total crap.

• Lynseys Designs
    Beginner
    Lynseys Designs ·
    • Hide content

Another vote for Kodo ones. I got mine over 4 years ago and still going strong. I actually prefer them to GHD's as I find GHD's go too hot. I've got really fine flyaway hair and they are great at making my hair glossy and taming the fluffiness. When I got them they were much cheaper than GHD's.

• K
    Beginner May 2009
    kezzybabe ·
    • Hide content

I have got through 2 great pairs of straightners,the first where a brand similar to GHD apparently as my friend tried them and said they were good.I think they were called corrolis or something.They were fab and i stupidly broke them by dropping from a great height,they were 2 years old and used every day.

I know use Babyliss cordless and they go through my thick wavy wild frizzy hair like no one buisness and the straightness lasts for 3 days.They cost about £60 but i got them half price i think they are Pro 230 or something.

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

I've said on here many times, I used to have ME3s then got the GHD's when the ME3's died. Yes, the GHD's are good but the ME3's are just as good IMHO if you can get them. My sis got me them from the local branch of Sally's and I think you can sometimes get them on fleabay.

• Taffie
    Beginner July 2007
    Taffie ·
    • Hide content

I had Kodos and thought they were great - my hair is hard to straighten and they did the job just as well as my friend's GHDs.

My only reason for getting rid of them was due to cutting my hair shorter and embracing the curliness ?

• Hubble
    Hubble ·
    • Hide content

I have the braun ones. They're great. You can adjust the temp. I have quite fine hair (but v v curly) so it doesn't take much to do the job on me but i only ever turn them up to just above the lowest setting so i assume they'd be good for thicker hair too.

a fraction of the price and i couldn't tell any benefit when i used my mate's ghd once.

• anjumanji
    anjumanji ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

WSS

• Chicken
    Beginner October 2003
    Chicken ·
    • Hide content

I've got very thick, fairly long, ringletty hair and own a pair of kodos and a pair of GHDs and, in all honesty, the results are similar whatever pair I use.

• Melancholie
    Beginner December 2014
    Melancholie ·
    • Hide content

I have very thick, bushy hair. I had Nicky Clarke straighteners, which were about £25 and worked great. When they broke, it coincided with a colleague being bought some new GHDs and, as her old GHDs were still in perfect working order, she donated them to me. I honestly don't see a difference between the results with the GHDs and the results I used to get with the Nicky Clarke ones. I would never have paid that much for straighteners, and won't get GHDs when the current lot eventually give up the ghost unless the price has come down considerably or there's a special offer on or something!

• Hungry Caterpillar
    Beginner
    Hungry Caterpillar ·
    • Hide content

I've got Remmington Wet to Straight straighteners and they're really good - and I've got really thick curly hair. My hairdresser straightens my hair with GHDs when I've had it cut and, although I can notice the difference, I prefer the look with the Remmington ones - the GHDs make it too perfect and it looks a bit weird IMO (but I'm sure that's not the case for everyone!).

• N
    Beginner January 2007
    noone ·
    • Hide content

Dont waste money on cheaper ones in my opinion GHD are by far the best

• Y
    YvonneQ12 ·
    • Hide content

Karmin! ?

• Ddpunk
    Beginner June 2018
    Ddpunk ·
    • Hide content

7 years too late!

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

Crikey, epic thread bump.

• L
    Beginner October 2014
    LalaC1988 ·
    • Hide content

Was wondering why loads of names I'd never seen before was commenting didn't notice the age! !

• Ali_G
    Beginner October 2012
    Ali_G ·
    • Hide content

Jeez, this is thread bumping on an epic scale! 7 years has got to be a new record?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics