Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Stubbersgetswed!
Beginner November 2014

Are wedding favours a waste of money?

Stubbersgetswed!, 1 of April of 2014 at 13:26 Posted on Planning 0 37

Hi ladies,

I'm fairly new here, so apologies if this thread has already been discussed a million times and I've just not found it!

We were thinking of having wedding favours of a photoframe (plain, black wooden ones, about postcard size) per guest, with a photograph of each guest in it, which will also act as their place card as it will be in their spot on the tables. Our venue doesn't allow anything edible or alcoholic for favours, so that rules out sweets etc, and we wanted to give something to people that they could keep.

However, I've been thinking about weddings I've been to and the favours I've appreciated, and I have to say that anything that can't fit into my handbag has mostly been a waste of time because loads of people forget to pick them up off the tables at the end of the night!

What are your thoughts on this? Are we wasting our money and time if we buy 122 photoframes? Are favours a bit out of fashion nowadays?

Any other suggestions are massively welcome!!

Thank you all x

37 replies

Latest activity by Jes22, 4 of April of 2014 at 21:34
  • M
    Beginner May 2015
    MayBride2015 ·
    • Hide content

I know for me personally, the favours usually go to waste. They are normally sweets etc and I end up putting them down never to be seen again. I do think you could potentially end up wasting a lot of money if people misplace the frames as they can't fit in their handbags etc.. And where are the men to place theirs? Are most of your guests staying at your venue in which case they could maybe place them in the room before the evening reception starts and everyone gets a bit too merry?

For our wedding favours (and I think this is becoming more common now) we are buying each guest a scratch card. If they lose, well then it goes in the bin, they have nothing to keep onto and if they win.. Well bonus! Chuck it in a purse/wallet.. Sorted! x

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Hi, I'm probably not going to be much help as I've only ever received edible favours and we had chocolates at ours. As a guest, if it doesn't fit in my bag, chances are I'm going to forget about it.

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

Hmm food for thought... we were thinking of doubling up the name cards and favours by buying a mini plant pot per person (£1) and painting them ourselves with their name on (few quid for paint) - our theme is Garden party (so fitting) but not sure now as its not an item you can easily put in a pocket or handbag,,,,,,,,,,,,,

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

If it's something people are not likely to want enough to remember then there will probably be some wastage. We're giving lottery tickets and making cute little envelopes with a note of thanks on each one.

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Not had of that one before, have they said why

The frame/ place names/ favours is a good idea, could you get some smaller simpler ones (cheeper) and do the same thing

• P
    Beginner July 2014
    Paranoid_Pixie_:) ·
    • Hide content

We are doing scratch cards hopefully someone will win big Smiley winking

• DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

I've seen the pictures as place settings once before and it worked really well, as long as people know they can take them. Some people will not assume they can.

It gets quite a laugh if you get everyone to email you a selfie pulling a funny face and then using that as their place card, as everyone walks around the table looking for theirs.

I don't believe they are a waste of money if it is something you want. It's when people have favours because they feel they have to, that's a waste of money.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Honestly - I think people's pictures in frames would look interesting and provide a talking point on tables but personally I'd think it a bit strange to be given a photo of myself as a favour. I don't have photos of myself round the house, but my friend does - so perhaps it's just my dislike of my face!

I think it's a bit off of your venue to not allow anything edible as favours, why is that? Alcohol fair enough since it can interfere with licencing laws.

I don't recall a wedding where the favour wasn't something alcoholic or edible. I find some edible favours weird, at a recent wedding they had scottish tablet, we just ate that with the coffee after the meal. So why not just serve a plate of tablet.

Scratch cards are a good idea but I couldn't stand all the rubbings messing up the tablecloths. It's probably the only favour my OH would take an interest in, at best he'd give a favour to me, or just ignore it and leave it on the table.

Personalised wine glass charms could be used instead of pictures, or keyrings? I also like the look of 'hangover kits' that I've seen. I may do some of these, but realistically I probably won't have time. We're having a free bar, and a sweet buffet so I'm not too worried, most likely I'll just not bother.

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

I like the photo as place card idea as long as you can be beothered, but I wouldn't bother with the frames for the reasons given above (who wants a framed picture of themselves to take home? ?). You could still do the photo thing but with a holder like this, which is also easier to fit into people's pocket/bag:

I still think even then that loads will get left.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

I know some venues do ban food or alcohol favours which I think is bonkers and totally unreasonable - but hey ho. I'm not sure the idea of pictures is really going to work. You've got to be able to get a picture of everyone for starters. Producing them's going to be costly and a nightmare. A number of weddings have done lottery tickets for those over the the relevant age, can't remember if it's 16 or 18 lol - age. None of those were left behind as they were easy to slip into a pocket and there's always that chance that you might win Smiley smile

You could ask the venue if they have suggestions as they're setting the restriction.

Favours are not compulsory - not every wedding has them and a large number of guests wouldn't bat an eyelid.

So yes imho buying 122 frames would be a waste of money espeically when you add in the cost of getting the photos etc.

• S
    Beginner June 2014
    Shoe_girl09 ·
    • Hide content

We are doing donations to Cancer Research UK. That way it's not a waste of money and they give you a pin that basically says a donation in your name has been made to... The last wedding I've been to, the wedding favours were candles (very lovely one) but didn't fit into a purse and got left on the table at the end of the night...

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content

We are umming and aahing about this at the moment - we'd thought about doing Welsh cakes as wedding favours as I'm Welsh and OH is half Welsh, but were worried about them getting left behind.

So our current thinking is that we'll go for one of the following:

- Original plan: something small and edible, possibly Welsh cakes, possibly Christmassy (since it's a December wedding)

- A bauble for our guests to hang on their Christmas trees

- Donation to charity, as suggested by previous poster, although it would be hard for us to pick as we both work in third sector

- Binning the favours as an option and ploughing money into a sorbet course instead (I *love* their gin and tonic sorbet!)

I'm aware that's probably not much help to you Stubbers, but just thought I'd let you know that you are not alone! The pictures thing sounds lovely - a twist on it that I've heard somewhere recently (possibly on here somewhere) is a picture of one/both of you with each guest.

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

My friend did those crocodile clip photo holders with guest photos as place cards. Each photo was the most stupidly hilarious one she could find. It was an ace talking point. The tables were bare so assume most people took theirs.

• xoxoxo2017
    Beginner May 2017
    xoxoxo2017 ·
    • Hide content

Cymruangel - love the baubel idea!

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

My Mum is weirdly against them for some reason and TBH I can't think of anything appropriate and original so we aren't having any. I'm sure my guests would rather they had some more booze! I wouldn't be upset if I went to the wedding and there wasn't a favour on the table. I know they are supposed to be a thank you for coming but I'm very grateful for the invite in the first place and the yummy meal!

• MrsBoo
    Beginner November 2014
    MrsBoo ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

^^ We are doing this and with guests names on so no need for place cards. I am a bit worried now that we will have lots of baubles left on tables with guests names on...although at least we will know who forgot them and they can get them the morning after if they want.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

I'd rather have Gin & Tonic sorbet instead of welsh cakes. I got them once at a Welsh wedding, and had to scrape them off the inside of my handbag (and bin) the next day!

Using the clips instead of frames is a great idea, if you are set on photos OP.

• broganj
    Dedicated January 2017
    broganj ·
    • Hide content

We're having toy cars as our favours to go with our nod to OH's general car obsession. We're also inviting lots of children so hopefully no worries about people taking home their favours as the kids will do it for them.

• Stubbersgetswed!
    Beginner November 2014
    Stubbersgetswed! ·
    • Hide content

Thank you so much for all your comments!

You're right, Lou89MrsEvansSTB, I hadn't even thought about where the men would put a photoframe! I think I realise now that it's not the most practical of favours. But I do like the little clip block photo holders, with funny photos of guests with us in. they might be a go-er. I will definitely look into that.

I'm not sure why we can't have edible or alcoholic favours, but I am sure I read it somewhere in our t&c's. I will check again though in case I am wrong!

You've given me some really good ideas. I like the idea of lottery tickets or scratch cards and making little personalised envelopes for them is a nice extra touch. And donations to charity is a fab idea too. Never seen that one before. Or, we could indeed scrap the whole idea of favours and lay on some extra booze!

Cheers all x

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

Regarding the bauble idea, I made them for a Christmas themed hen party I organised, and 4 years later I see them hanging on people's trees, which makes me happy! I'd really like that as a wedding favour, as it's not something that has to be kept and cause clutter, it can be stored in with your decorations and every year when I took it out to hang on tree I'd be reminded of the wedding. Presumably the whole point of favours?!

I really don't get people doing a small jar of sweets, when they have also have a sweet buffet. No point in that, just sack the favours! So in that regards I don't really agree with them.

The last few weddings I've been to have these favours:

Mini bottle of Baileys - drank on the bus home
    Perfume sample from Bellagio hotel (they'd got married previously in Vegas). Thougth this was a nice idea as a tie in with their ceremony.
    Charity donation (no pins)
    Stick of personalised rock (cute, but got binned after it had gone sticky a few weeks later)
    Yankee Candle Christmas Sampler and candy cane with a personalised ribbon. I loved this - I still hang the candy cane on the tree each year by the ribbon.
    Tablet (eaten withafter dinner coffee so a bit pointless)
    Welsh cakes - got squashed into the lining of my bag then binned.
    Minintures of Rum (drank)
    Miniture of Whisky (taken home and kept, we don't drink whisky)

• Shamy
    Beginner September 2014
    Shamy ·
    • Hide content

I have been round and round the houses with this one! Originally when I started planning I thought I'm definitely having those, but during my planning journey my thoughts have changed somewhat. I do usually make the effort to take these things home but they just end up gathering dust in a drawer, so for my own wedding I wanted to get something useful. I love the bauble idea and would definitely do that were I having a winter themed wedding. I didn't want to get something cheap or reminiscent of a prize from a Christmas cracker, nor did I want to spend a fortune.

Trying to keep things practical I 'borrowed' the idea of a can koozie (or stubby holder if you're Australian) from a fellow Hitcher but then when I realised we wouldn't be able to offer a free bar I thought go one better and get everyone a miniature. Sorted. Only it wasn't, because like the OP my venue doesn't allow any outside alcohol. Ok I thought, so I'll get some personalised paper bags for the sweetie buffet and those can be the favours. Only the venue doesn't allow any outside food either!

I still think something edible is the way to go so if our budget allows I might add the venue's sweetie table to our package and get the personalised bags but I have to say it is low priority at the moment and I think we'll most likely end up putting the cash behind the bar instead!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

We were going to do photos for name cards and favours and had found some mini photo frames to use but am thinking now people might find this strange and that we should go for the clips instead?

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

I found these which I love, and I think will give a lasting memory of the wedding. Also by chance the really suit us as my fiancee is an amateur bee keeper. I haven't decided whether to go with the pre-made version, or to make my own personalised ones with seeds for the flowers in my bouquet. http://www.notonthehighstreet.com/weddinginateacup/product/meant-to-bee-seed-packet-favour

• N
    NHGirl ·
    • Hide content

I don't think favours are "out of fashion" any more than getting hitched is! However, they can be a waste of money if not chosen wisely, especially since, as you rightly point out, most of the time they are left behind and your choice of frame may not be to everyone's taste - especially if they are really inexpensive, so I'd nix that idea.

I've been to weddings where they've given man-made things (besides food). The problem is, no matter how nice they might be, if they are left behind, the couple is left with a large quality of {fill in the blank} that have to be disposed of.

Nature-made/natural favours seem to be the best bet if you want to offer a little something. In the non-food category, small packets of flower bulbs , flower seeds, and bird seed might be a good idea. They are inexpensive and you can make the packaging yourself to fit your scheme and colours. Size them right and they can slip into a small handbag or pocket, and everyone likes and can use them. They certainly aren't tacky like some of the really inexpensive man-made trinkets can be.

Even if the guests don't garden or feed birds, bulbs and seeds can easily be tossed out into fields where they'll establish themselves or be eaten. And, if your guests forget or don't want them, you will have a nice supply for yourselves.

• N
    Beginner June 2015
    nammy502 ·
    • Hide content

We arent having favours as such on the table, but as we are having a photobooth that prints 2 copies - 1 for the guestbook and 1 for our guests to keep. Thats kind of a favour that they can keep

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Now this idea I love. I don't go with seeds generally as so many will just chuck them especially teenagers and the like but I think this is a great idea. I'd actually set the competition with the seeds at the time of giving. This would work well for us as we get married in April so perfect timing for people to take them home and plant. I can then set a date for everyone to measure theirs and the one with the tallest gets a prize. Will be great for the little kids too. And so simple and cheap.?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

I'm not a fan of favours myself and when our daughter got married they wanted something that people would take home but small enough to fit in a bag or pocket. They ended up going for Lush soaps who do a wide variety for both men and women in different fragrances as well as one for sensitives. This was about the only thing we could all think of that would suit everyone both young and old. I know there are some people who can't use Lush because it's quite overpowering but it does double up as an air freshener in the bathroom if they can't use it themselves! They come ready wrapped complete with a tag on. This was them but we added the black bow:-

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Cute sentiment - but is a sunflower growing contest likely to actualise among your guests?

We're having seed paper in tiny heart shapes on the table (a bit like confetti) and will let guests know that they can take it home to plant if they want to ... (these aren't our favours) ... but being realistic, I can think of one or two of my friends, and none of OH's who will actually plant them.

Which ... actually ... is now making me wonder why I'm bothering ...

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Hi! I have been to weddings and seen a lot of favours get abandoned. Personally, we will either be doing a donation or a scratchcard. If scratchcards work out too expensive, then perhaps dish out raffle tickets and the prize could be a bottle of bubbly or something? Or a hamper of goodies? Xx

• S
    Beginner April 2014
    Sooperdooper ·
    • Hide content

For my Easter holiday wedding, we are having Easter chocolates. Each table is having something different, the choc they have is there table name. We have mini eggs, malteaser bunnies, smartie chicks, Lindt bunnies, creme eggs and galaxy eggs. I have brought them today and for 58 the cost was just under £20 cheap, cheerful and solved my table name problem too!

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We're doing alcohol miniatures for our favours, our way of buying people an extra drink and I don't think they go to waste. For the non drinkers we're having either cupcakes / cookies or jars of sweets.

I think edible is good as I've not seen them get left behind often and thinking of myself its what i'd want haha Smiley smile

I think the frames will be nice and your guests will appreciate them, don't think they're a waste at all.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Out of 56 chocolates, 14 were left, and that was a tiny favour, so unless you know the guests will each want a pic of themselves, perhaps don't spend a fortune

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics