Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Beginner May 2014

Are wedding favours necessary?

Sazzle85, 5 of July of 2013 at 13:59 Posted on Planning 0 28

I have been thinking about this for a while...but I don't think we are going to have favours. Initially I thought that I would make mini jars of homemade jam as favours but when pricing these up, it turned out to be quite an expense, buying all the mini jars and then fresh fruit for the jam...and what if my jam making went wrong and it didn't set!? So I decided against that idea! I don't like the thought of sugared almonds...I mean, who actually likes them anyway? I have been to a few weddings over the last couple of years and have had seeds, candles etc...but does anyone actually do anything with them after the day...I know I didn't! So I'm thinking favours are just a waste of money! We decided during the early stages of wedding planning that we would like a sweetie table, so have decided to have that instead of favours! I will also be doing activity packs for the kids!

What are everyone else's thoughts on favours?

28 replies

Latest activity by cupcakelady, 10 of July of 2013 at 12:41
  • kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely not necessary. We had them but only because my mam offered to make truffles - we weren't going to until then.

My friend just bought a load of Thorntons gold foil covered hearts and gave one per person - think they cost her about 30p each.

• woowoo83
    Beginner October 2013
    woowoo83 ·
    • Hide content

I'm not having any so I hope it's acceptable!

• Skeptical78
    Beginner September 2013
    Skeptical78 ·
    • Hide content

We're having favours but it's because I like them, and we're having a small wedding so costs aren't too ridiculous.

I wouldn't be bothered if I turned up at a wedding where there weren't any though! Sometimes it's better NOT to get them (ahem...sugared almonds..ahem).

The best one I had was just a single ferrero rocher in a little gold box. But then I LOVE ferrero rocher!!

Ours are more for the novelty factor, rather than a 'proper' gift.

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

I'm a sucker for favours, I get excited seeing them on the table.

We're doing ours as a thank you gift, and hope that they'll actually be taken away by guests and enjoyed so we're doing monogrammed espresso cups.

Possibly put sugared almonds in them (yeah, yeah I know) but they're traditional favours in Italy where we're getting married and also in Cyprus where OH is from.

They're definitely not necessary, and if you'd rather not have them - don't. Feels like a lot of people are moving away from them.

If you're doing a sweetie table, how about leaving personalised paper bags on the tables - this way they can be place marks too?

• Foo
    Beginner June 2014
    Foo ·
    • Hide content

We are not having any and having been to lots of weddings I couldn't tell you if they had them or not, which I suspect is true of a lot if guests. I think all this detail (in which I include centre pieces, colour schemes, themes, card boxes, decorations, sweet tables etc) are very 'bridey' ie the only person who cares about them is the bride ?

• W
    Beginner February 2014
    Wifeytobe88 ·
    • Hide content

Not at all necessary! If you have the time/money/energy, then great, but if not, guests are not going to wonder where the favours are! I personally have no time for favours at weddings, UNLESS it's something to eat or drink, then I'm all over it. I once got a plastic butterfly keyring at a butterfly themed wedding, which was cute enough, and I did put it on my keys...but it broke about a week later! I was planning on doing mini bottles of homemade limoncello for mine, but like you with your jam, it's going to work out too expensive for 80 guests. My mum is keen to make heart shaped welshcakes though so I think that's me done!

• Barefoot
    Beginner August 2012
    Barefoot ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

How very very true!! We didn't have favours. I was going to, then decided against it, thinking it was just one more thing to organise that I didn't have time for, and none would notice or care if we did or didn't have them. Last 2 weddings I went to didn't have them. One was my cousin, who I think did a charity donation instead, and the other was OH's friend, where the had no favours, but spent the money on a free bar instead, which was far more appreciated!

• Childhood-Sweet<3
    Beginner July 2014
    Childhood-Sweet<3 ·
    • Hide content

Definitely not necessary, but a nice gesture if there is something you particularly wanted to do.

We wanted something people could think of us when they saw it. We toyed with the idea or seeds or bulbs people could plant, very inexpensive. We are now making little heart shaped bird seed feeders and popping them in a hand stamping bag my friend is making for us.

• mai27
    Beginner June 2016
    mai27 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I could tell you the wedding favors at the last three wedding I've been too, but I could just be a saddo! lol

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Nope not necessary ? That's the great thing about weddings now, there's no must haves and you can do pretty much what you like!

• S
    Beginner May 2014
    Sazzle85 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks everyone! I'm so glad other people think the same as me, that they are not necessary and a waste of money! I think a sweetie buffet is more than enough...the main reason we are having that is because me and my H2B love pick n mix! We have about 12 children attending our wedding...just hope they don't all get hyper on the E numbers!

I feel much better knowing that people won't think that we are tight/ungrateful for not having favours!

• L
    Laura Radford Photography ·
    • Hide content

Oooh tough one, but loving the food route! Whats that saying? The food one....ah brain not working!!

• Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

I desperately tried to talk my daughter out of favours...... but she won and I ended up making 20 personalised candles wrapped in organza and 20 walnut whips presented the same.... all wrapped up with a ribbon and luggage label.

I told her that half of them would be left disguarded on the tables..... mum was right! Mind you.... I went round and collected up the 'left behind' walnut whips for 'Ron'!!!!!!!

• Mrs Monkey
    Beginner July 2013
    Mrs Monkey ·
    • Hide content

I'm doing favours - 5 homemade biscuits in mini jam jars, with name tags as place cards. But we only have 19 coming to the wedding. If we had more people coming I would have done something a bit cheaper.

I don't think they are necessary though. I've done things in our wedding because I've wanted it, not because it's traditional or because everyone else does it (it's funny how many people say 'you have to do that, it's tradition'!)

If you chose not to, then I don't think anyone will complain. They should be happy enough to be invited to your special day Smiley smile

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

As a guest they wouldn't be something I would hope to see. I would rather the bride and groom spent the money on something for themselves. But if someone really wants them and can afford them, why not

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

Duplicate post __ life's too short to wait for these things to post without wanting to click again ?

• H
    Beginner October 2011
    Hayse-08/10/11 ·
    • Hide content

Absolutely not necessary in my opinion!

We did not have favours at our wedding. We did have a free bar though and I like to think that was much more appreciated.

I guess it is about what is important to you..... for me it is good quality food and free flowing drink but for others it is the finer details. For you and your partner, it seems a pick n mix table suits what you like and shows some of your personality. I'd say go with that.

• B
    Beginner January 2015
    blondejenius ·
    • Hide content

We are having favours, but don't want to spend a fortune on them, so I'm making them myself. We are having wine glass charms, and I can make 100 for £20 (including special ones for immediate family and the wedding party). it will take some time to make them as they can be a bit fiddly, but the wedding isn't until 2015 so I have lots of time! OH's sister made a donation to charity and as part of that the charity sent little cards with the wedding date and a pin badge on them to have on the tables, which worked well too. I don't think they are necessary though, but quite fun if you want to do them. ?

• mrs o-)
    Beginner August 2013
    mrs o-) ·
    • Hide content

We toiled with this for months ,pricing up boxes and bags and what to put in them (oh wanted them ) we settled on sweets, chocolates and mints ect.

But once the sweets and things were eaten people would leave boxes and bags, which I though was a waste of money.

Put to oh , we could have chocs personalized with our names and wedding date and thank you for attending our special day and put them on tables or if you really want bags and boxes with sweets, chocs and mints that's your job to do .

Im now waiting for a delivery of personalize box of chocs !.

Any left over I can eat and catch up on all the chocolate iv not eaten in the run up to the wedding?.

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

Favours are a nice touch if budget allows.

We had one little Chabonnel et Walker chocolate in a box, but if budget had been tighterI would have got a little chocolate or something.

That being said, I normally get too drunk and forget to take my favour home unless it's something I've already eaten.

• Holey
    Beginner July 2011
    Holey ·
    • Hide content

We had three different chocs in a box with a trivia card. We got the chocolate for free and bought boxes on ebay. So favours for 100 people cost about a tenner.

Although this sounds a bit lame we are both known fir our sweet tooth (despite my h being diabetic! ) and I love quizzes hence the trivia card.

I don't think they are necessary but I do like them!

• M
    Beginner March 2014
    Mary C to be K ·
    • Hide content

I do like favours but it's not like it'd spoil my wedding experience if there were none! I prefer food and drink favours to keepsakes, not least because I don't have to remember to take them home and I'd love some sugared almonds! Having said that if you're having a sweetie table you've kind of got that covered.

• Italybride14
    Beginner May 2014
    Italybride14 ·
    • Hide content

Sugared almonds is an old Italian tradition. But they were the original confetti. So they'd be given to guests in odd numbers, I'm assuming to throw (ouch)! I thought about it purely as we're marrying in Italy but no one would get why so seems pointless!

im not doing favours as I'd rather put more wine on the tables!!

• sabina150
    sabina150 ·
    • Hide content

They are not necessary, I have seen a fair few couples opt to leave them out this year so they can put that money towards another aspect of their big day.

• T
    Beginner December 2014
    tarabella ·
    • Hide content

I think it's up to you at the end of the day. I've got really lucky as one of my BMs mothers is a chocolatier and has offered to do my favours as a wedding gift. I'm also putting a handwritten note in each napkin for the guests. Maybe you could do something that doesn't cost a lot but has a lot of meaning?

• C
    Beginner December 2018
    cupcakelady ·
    • Hide content

I can only tell you how I feel now, a few years after my wedding.

Whilst I was planning my wedding, every tiny detail seemed filled with the utmost importance - everything had to be perfect, and I was fraught. I was doing a lot of things myself, which didn't help! Personally I blame "Four Weddings" etc - that convinced me subconciously that guests would be ripping my wedding apart looking for flaws and being critical of everything. I realise now that this couldn't be further from the truth.

My wedding venue went bankrupt a month before the wedding. I went from needing everything to be perfect to thinking I wouldn't be able to get married at all. Fortunately we found somewhere even lovelier and it all went well. There was some rain which I was dreading, but it gave us some amazing photos - we had everything from bright sunshine to moody skies and guests with umbrellas...

I made all my favours, place cards, table runners, table plan, etc etc - they were all beautiful and I got lots of compliments on everything. Still, the memories that I and everyone else has are of the atmosphere and things that you can't buy.

Honestly, if I'd had no favours, no-one would have cared - and it's the same with a lot of other things I spent months slaving over and stressing about. I realise now that these things are so unimportant and I can't believe I stressed about it all so much. (Also, the truth that no-one tells you - hardly anyone eats the wedding cake, so a massive three plus tiers is unnecessary - wish I'd known that!)

In my opinion, favours are unnecessary but nice if you can have them - I wouldn't spend much money though. You can often get big lots of small jars on ebay from people who are selling off their unused supplies - I got lots this way to make jars of buttons that I sell so it could be a cheap option. Personally I got round organza drawstring bags - the guys had sweets in then, the ladies had bath petal things, then I made name tags and attached them so they were both favours and place cards. Things that are multifunctional like that are quite handy for the budget and stress levels Smiley winking

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics