Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

T
Beginner August 2014

Are wedding flowers always extortionate in price?!

these_days, 30 of December of 2013 at 11:39 Posted on Planning 0 14

Hi ladies, just started looking into florists to organise the flowers on our wedding day and was a bit taken aback by how expensive they are! £150 for the bride's posy! Is that an average price or am I just looking in the wrong places online?

I'm in need of my own bouquet, 2 for the bridesmaids, 8 buttonholes, ceremony room flowers, reception room flowers and a wand for the flowergirl. Have a feeling this is going to push towards a grand by the looks of things!

Am hoping for a mix of artificial and fresh flowers.

Without being too cheeky, can anyone tell me how much they paid for theirs?

14 replies

Latest activity by Jemima Renrut, 31 of December of 2013 at 12:17
  • miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

I have just made enquiries with a florist.

I requested simple hand tied tulip bouquets for my bridesmaids, like these [but in yellow]...

And a slightly posher bouquet for me, with tulips and few other flowers, something a bit like these...

She has quoted me £45 for each of the bridesmaids and from £85 for my bouquet. That is from a florist fairly local to my venue and includes free delivery on the morning of the wedding.

Hope that helps ;-)

I also noticed whilst I was researching the flowers online that M&S do some wedding flower packages that look decently priced...

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Just to give you an idea, I'm paying £75 for my bouquet (3 different kinds of calla lilies) and £35 each for BMs bouquets (just white calla lilies).

Ask around at a few local florists rather than look online.

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    these_days ·
    • Hide content

Miss Pickle - those look gorgeous! And thanks for the tip on M&S, I hadn't thought of them!

And it is local florists websites I've been looking at!! That's why I was taken aback by £150 for one posy!

• MrsToffee
    Expert April 2015
    MrsToffee ·
    • Hide content

Button holes are really easy to do yourself if you have the inclination and would possibly make it a bit cheaper.

• kharding2014
    Beginner October 2014
    kharding2014 ·
    • Hide content

I think £150 seems like quite a lot for a bouquet. I have been quoted between £75-£95 for a hand tied bouquet and thats in October when flowers are more expensive as everything is out of season.

I would research some more local florists. I contacted 10 before I found one that was a good price and who I trusted to do a good job.

x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

My florist was not the cheapest by any means and I paid £75 for my bouquet and £45 for my BMs

• S
    Beginner December 2013
    smingram13 ·
    • Hide content

I looked into getting flowers from a florist but the prices were extortionate so as we had little time and a limited budget, I bought my flowers from the market the day before the wedding and made mine, my 2 bridesmaids and 5 button holes which all looked lovely, mine looked especially nice as it was all christmassy and I got married christmas eve x

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

£150 for a hand-tied posy is quite a bit above average price for the style. If you are having a shower bouquet (a long trailing style) then that price is at the top end of the price range for that particular type of bouquet.

The cost of flowers depends on a few things such as what time of year you are marrying. Prices tend to rise in December for the Christmas peak trading period and generally don't fall back to normal levels until after Mothers' Day. The choice of flowers and whether they are in 'season' or not also has a bearing on the price. The more intricate designs take longer to make so these will command a high price because of the skill needed to make them. Also do bear in mind that there are overheads to any business such as rent, rates, wages, energy bills etc. With this is mind, you often find that out of town florists may work out less expensive than town centre shops.

When shopping around for quotes, it's best to get at least 3 or more and to book a consultation so your florist knows exactly what you need and want and can quote more accurately. Hope that helps.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

That sounds an awful lot for a bridal posey. Mine is £85 I think.

I definitely think your should look at other florists and see what they quote you.

• T
    Beginner May 2014
    traleegirl ·
    • Hide content

Mine will cost whatever Sainsburys are charging for their roses the day before.......bouquets are so easy to make and there are loads of YouTube videos showing you how to do it...

• BristolBride83
    Beginner July 2014
    BristolBride83 ·
    • Hide content

This may not be what you’re after so please ignore if not. I paid £300 for the following:

2 brides bouquets (i'm having a same sex marriage which is why I have 2)
    3 bridesmaid bouquets
    and 8 button holes

These are all silk flowers from Silk blooms. They had make and colour match all the flowers for you and also do table flowers (I didn't need these). They can also custom make anything you want, all my flowers are custom as I wanted unusual colours and styles. They will diliver when ever you ask them too, I'm getting mine 1 month before the wedding day, one less thing to worry about on the day. And their customer service is top notch. I also went for these as my sisters flowers weren't what she was expecting when they were delivered on the day and I didn't want that to happen to me.

They look the real deal and if you have a tight budget I don't think you'll go far wrong with these.

• T
    Beginner August 2014
    these_days ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the advice everyone! I have actually been looking at Silk Blooms and really like their options, it's nice to hear that someone else has bought from them and been happy with what they received! As for the fresh flowers, think I will definitely get a few quotes and shop around between local florists a bit more! Good to know £150 is on the steep side for a posy!

• emmiejune
    Beginner December 2013
    emmiejune ·
    • Hide content

Mine was £70 for the brides bouquet and £35 each for 2x bridesmaids.

This was mine with lots of succulents and the bridesmaids were a bit smaller with fewer succulents.

• Jemima Renrut
    Beginner October 2013
    Jemima Renrut ·
    • Hide content

We told our florist our budget and what we wanted and she worked it so we could have what we wanted within our budget. We paid a total of £300 for a bride bouquet, 2 bridesmaid bouquets a wand for my flower girl, a top table decoration and 18 jam jar arrangements. She was brilliant. To have the jam jars would have been out of budget but she used slightly different flowers and more greenery and refused to compromise anything on my bouquet. I loved our flowers.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics