Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk
Rockstar November 2014

Are you having arrival drinks?

alexandrawedding@hotmail.co.uk, 10 of August of 2014 at 23:14 Posted on Planning 0 9

My mini meltdown earlier has had me frantically pintrest-ing arrival drinks?

what are your opinions/doing?

ive planned hot ciders for after the ceremony but what about when guests arrive? Mom said it's a bad idea as people will have nowhere to put their glasses so will litter the aisle and it will look messy but then started saying how we (her wedding too apparently!) MUST provide something :-S

xx

9 replies

Latest activity by SillyWrong, 11 of August of 2014 at 15:51
  • Paula @ Ollievision
    Paula @ Ollievision ·
    • Hide content

It's an interesting suggestion but I think it's very rare that people provide pre-wedding drinks. I can't recall any wedding I've photographed in the last couple of years that has had them. People usually arrive about 10-20 min before the ceremony.

• pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

Pre-ceremony drinks are not the norm by any means and it's not something we're doing or would even consider. If your ceremony is in a hotel or similar where there is a bar people will, if they want, get themselves a drink. But you don't need to do anything at all pre-ceremony.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

You definitely don't want people drinking before the ceremony, you need them to be quiet and sensible! We're having a drinks reception after the ceremony with a bit of fizz though

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I've never seen pre wedding drinks provided- aside from perhaps a few bottles of water on very hot days. It's definitely not the norm and wont be expected by the vast majority of your guests ?

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I've never been to a wedding that had one.

In fact, I think as part of a civil ceremony licence, they are not allowed to have alcoholic drinks in the ceremony room for an hour before and during the ceremony. So if your Mum really wanted, they'd have to be served elsewhere and finished before people went into the ceremony room. Personally I think they're totally unnecessary, and the most you need to provide at that stage is perhaps some glasses of water if it's hot and people have had a long journey.

• KinkyBride
    Beginner March 2016
    KinkyBride ·
    • Hide content

I've never been to a wedding which had pre-ceremony drinks before but no, we don't be having them.

At my first wedding I arrived later than my ex-husband (much later due to my transport letting us down) and so he was being snapped by the photographer before I arrived, as were some of the guests. After I'd had my pre-ceremony meeting with the registrar I was then ready to walk in and get the ceremony started. The reason I say that is I'm not sure when there's time for pre-ceremony drinks?

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

We're not having any drinks prior to the ceremony, our venue doesn't allow drinks anyway as it is an old council chamber. First drinks will be when we get to Pizza Express for the breakfast, we have some bubbly to serve as welcome drinks/toasts.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

We're having our day in a large country hotel, so there will be a decent sized bar for people to congregate before being ushered into the ceremony room. I daresay that some of my guests will take advantage of their proximity to such a facility, and will have a small shandy (!) before they come into the ceremony room, but if it weren't available, then I am sure no one would notice.

I certainly won't be funding any pre-ceremony drinks, and if we weren't at a hotel for the whole day, then I definitely wouldn't even think about drinks before the ceremony.....just a glass of something nice after the ceremony whilst photos are being taken etc.

I don't think you need to worry any more about this, honestly!

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

All of our guests are arriving the day before the wedding. The venue are putting on breakfast and a champagne lunch.

If all guests weren't on site, this definitely isn't something that we'd arrange.

Definitely isn't the norm, I've never been to a wedding that provided pre ceremony drinks. I think it's not needed and not expected so if it's causing you stress - don't do it.

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

We are! I'm really surprised by responses here but then our wedding is a little different.

Firstly, we have a coach bringing all our guests to our venue, so they'll all arrive 45 minutes before the ceremony begins. There will be a Spanish Guitarist playing and they will be offered Sangria, cloudy Lemonade and water and a chance to have a wander around the venue to take in the views/gardens etc. We don't have a bar at our venue and it may be hot.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics