Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Linz160
Beginner November 2013

Are you inviting your minister / registrar / celebrant for your meal?

Linz160, 7 of August of 2013 at 19:36 Posted on Planning 0 13

Wasn't sure what the etiquette was here and if it was the done thing?

13 replies

Latest activity by murphy88, 8 of August of 2013 at 19:46
  • miss pickle
    Beginner June 2014
    miss pickle ·
    • Hide content

I'm not sure of the etiquette, but I got the impression when I booked my registrar that they are very busy people and do several weddings a day, especially on weekends, etc so wouldn't have time to hang around?

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

We're getting married by a priest at our local church then moving to our venue, but as far as i'm aware they don't get invited to meals even if they're marrying you at your venue?
    Could be wrong but I've not seen / heard of that being done Smiley smile

• F&GBride
    Beginner May 2014
    F&GBride ·
    • Hide content

I've definately seen priests invited to and attend meals but I don't think I'd bother inviting a registrar.

• Sam&Louise
    Beginner September 2015
    Sam&Louise ·
    • Hide content

I've only known it to happen three times since we've been shooting weddings. Twice were church ceremonies where the bride and groom were personal friends with the person who conducted their ceremony & the other occasion was a civil ceremony where the brides sister was the registrar (so would have been be going on to the meal anyway)

It's not expected at all as far as i'm aware- especially in the case of civil ceremonies where registrars will most likely be covering several weddings that day ?

• H
    Beginner August 2014
    HundredMonkeys ·
    • Hide content

We are having a catholic ceremony and we will be inviting our priest to the meal and evening (if he wants to come for the whole day). Registrars tend to head off after they've done the ceremony/legalities, as quite often they have to get to other weddings that day. But I've often seen priests/celebrants attend the reception, sometimes just for a drink, other times for the whole day (if they are free/not hearing mass later on in the day). So we'll be inviting our priest to our reception, my sister did the same for her wedding. We're not "friends" with the priest but I'm sure over the next few months we will all get to know eachother and it's our way of saying thank you. The church is just over the road from our venue so it makes sense to invite him.

• Linz160
    Beginner November 2013
    Linz160 ·
    • Hide content

We're having a humanist celebrant, who won't be doing any other ceremonies after ours. May just invite him to stay for a drink.

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

No the registrars are obviously working that day so would not be able to attend plus we wont be meeting ours until the day of the wedding.

• havecreditwillwed
    Beginner August 2013
    havecreditwillwed ·
    • Hide content

We have always invited the C of E Vicars to weddings in my family. The one to the family who lives up north used to even come round on Christmas.

With a Vicar/Priest regligious ceremony, you are often more connected to them either from meeting them several times or because they lead your local church. We invited ours and he said grace for us before the meal which was very nice.

If it was a registrar that you did not know, I wouldn;t bother

• *MM3*
    Beginner June 2014
    *MM3* ·
    • Hide content

Wow, we're getting married in catholic church and I really didn't think this was the done thing at all, just shows what I know Smiley laugh
    We'll probably invite ours along then to be nice although I know he won't come as there's always a Saturday vigil at 5pm at our church and we marry at 1 so by the time he's done all that... x

• PinkButterfly
    Beginner June 2014
    PinkButterfly ·
    • Hide content

I'll be inviting our pastor and his wife to the reception... I thought this would be pretty much the norm! Not inviting the registrar who will be doing the legal stuff a few day before our actual Cremony though!

I guess wether you invite you vicar or not depends on your relationship with them! Don't think a registrar would be expecting an invite!

• ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown
    Beginner January 2012
    ForTheLoveOfMrsBrown ·
    • Hide content

Are you kidding me? Did you see your wedding?

Anyway, registrar - no, man/woman of god - yes.

• M
    Beginner January 2015
    murphy88 ·
    • Hide content

My dad is actually a minister (but hes not marrying us) and he always gets invited to the meal after but he never expects it! - so i think its what your comfortable with.

I will be inviting ours as shes a family friend but i would say do what your comfortable with.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics