Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Anonbride
Expert July 2023 Cornwall

Are you inviting your partner's siblings to stag/hen dos?

Anonbride, 21 of February of 2022 at 17:04 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 5

My MOH is asking me to think about my guest list soon-ish so they can book... I know I want a small group thing, as does FH, so not sure if that makes a difference to the etiquette here. I do feel like if one of us invite a sibling, we both should.

FH is inviting his best man, and his two other closest friends. They're doing a ski weekend or similar sporty thing. He knows my brother very well, although doesn't see him without me there. Is quite happy to invite him if I want him to, but isn't fussed about it. I'm pretty sure my brother would go if invited but also wouldn't be expecting an invite so no dramas either way here.

MOH is surprising me with my hen, it'll be a weekend thing with an overnight element as far as I'm aware. So far I've only met FSIL twice. At the moment I'm including MOH, two bridesmaids, and two guys who are 'honorary bridesmaids' (usher and officiant in official wedding roles). If I invited FSIL I'd invite another one of my close female friend that I'm tempted to include anyway so neither are the only ones not in the wedding party.

Basically I'm just not sure if it'll feel super awkward having FSIL there, partly because I will probably be stuck rooming with her over one of my friends as I'm the only one who's ever met her (I have no issues with her just simply do not know her) and partly because we'll probably be spending all weekend talking about her brother potentially not in the most PG terms... which makes me err against siblings and going for friends only. Equally, there's part of me that feels I should invite her in the interest of extending the 'we'll be family soon' olive branch and fears it comes across rude not to... torn!!

5 replies

Latest activity by Anonbride, 22 of February of 2022 at 12:00
  • Pinkcoffee22
    Dedicated April 2022 Staffordshire
    Pinkcoffee22 ·
    • Hide content
    Hmm. I feel like I’d be inclined to advise you don’t invite FSIL, simply because your post (reading between the lines) is filled with feelings of ‘should’ and obligation, rather than you really wanting her there. Remember, this is YOUR hen party; it’s all about you and your journey and your special moment. So surely you have to make it the very best it can be? Comfortable and happy and fun.

You’re marrying this girl’s brother, so there’s plenty of time to build a relationship going forward, but considering you’ve only met her twice and it might feel awkward her being there, I’d say don’t invite her. Just my thoughts xx
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content
    As you only met her twice and don't have a close relationship with her I wouldn't invite her. The hem is for you to be with your closest girls and I suspect she would feel awkward anyway. Then your FH doesn't feel obliged to ask your brother either
  • xkimx007
    Beginner October 2022 South Yorkshire
    xkimx007 ·
    • Hide content

I had a very similar dilemma. My FSIL is lovely but we are very different people and I think both of us would probably feel slightly awkward if she came to the hen do. I think she would feel obligated to go rather than really wanting to and I think I would not enjoy it as much as I would be conscious of making sure I was on my best behaviour in front of her. To get around it, I decided to have two "hen dos". A less PG, more raucous friends one and then a more civilised family one that my FSIL, FMIL, grandparents etc. can come to. That way, everyone gets included and no-one is in a position that makes them feel awkward.

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 Online ·
    • Hide content

Don't invite anyone you think you 'ought' to have to your hen do. Reading your comments about whether it might be awkward or being 'stuck' with your SIL as a roommate, it sounds as if you are definitely inviting her out of obligation only.

You are hopefully going to have many years to build up a friendship with your SIL and many more opportunities to get to know her - I don't think that inviting her to your hen do is necessary, and she probably won't enjoy it that much if she doesn't know anyone else.

You could always invite the women from his family for a coffee or afternoon tea or something similar, just to get to know them a bit better before the wedding. A kind of hen do but not really. Good compromise?

• Anonbride
    Expert July 2023 Cornwall
    Anonbride ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much everyone! You've all picked up on my awkwardness haha! It might be that down the line I get to know her better and would be sad I hadn't invited her, but if I'm deciding just for me then right now I'd prefer it be only the people I'm most comfortable with - I just didn't know if it was a real etiquette faux pas not to invite your future sibling!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics