Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Arrival Drinks?

3 September, 2012 at 16:15 Posted on Planning 0 18

I started a thread earlier RE red or white wine, this was for our arrival drinks reception. Someone commented that something sparkly is normally given out as the first drink and I thought ah! Good point. Is that quite normal to have proesseco as your first drink?

We will now be doing 1 glass prosecco each, then wine reception allowing 1/2 bottle of head then we will start the dinner and have more wine on the tables.

18 replies

Latest activity by jojo2, 4 September, 2012 at 14:31
  • Jalapeno
    Beginner October 2012
    Jalapeno ·
    • Hide content

We're having fruit punch on arrival, 1/2 bottle of red or white with the meal and sparkly for the toast.

I think as I said before it's totally up to you. There is no right and wrong. Just do what you're happy with and what falls within your budget.

• charchar
    Beginner October 2012
    charchar ·
    • Hide content

We're having bucks fizz for arrival drinks, wine with dinner then carva with the toasts, n obviously soft drinks for drivers,non drinkers, there is a bar at venue,

• mickeyandminnie
    Beginner July 2015
    mickeyandminnie ·
    • Hide content

We're having sparking wine - followed by wine and beer at the meal followed by drink what you like on us Smiley smile

• MrsMeldrew
    Beginner October 2012
    MrsMeldrew ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a plan to me!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

We had bellini cocktails and bottled beers, then prosecco for toast drinks, then choice of wines throughout the meal. Evening was apay bar so guests chose whatever they wanted.

• Kjay
    Beginner August 2013
    Kjay ·
    • Hide content

I think that you can have whatever you like!

We are leaning towards cocktails for ours- August wedding so regardless of the weather I will fancy something summery!!

• V
    Beginner April 2013
    Vintage84 ·
    • Hide content

I think we're having Pimms. Then red & white on the tables and a glass of bubbly for the speeches!

• T
    teaparty2011 ·
    • Hide content

Daughter had Pimms, orange juice and elderflower cordial at her drinks reception. Red and white wine for the tables and then sparkling for the toast. The free bar was also open for beers etc.

I've had sparkling white wine (champagne, cava etc) at other weddings we have been to.

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

We had Bucks Fizz and Kir Royale for the arrival drink, then 4 bottles of wine per table and champagne to toast. Anything over that was a pay bar.

I dont think people expect anything as such- whatever you and your guests prefer I guess.

• Alreadymarried
    Alreadymarried ·
    • Hide content

We had Pimms or orange juice, wine on the table then sparkly wine for toasts. I don't like champagne.

• gee_gee
    Beginner August 2013
    gee_gee ·
    • Hide content

We're having Pimms and beer for the arrival drinks, half bottle of wine per person with the meal and champagne for the toasts.

• RedKitchie
    Beginner August 2013
    RedKitchie ·
    • Hide content

Pimms or elderflower cordial with sparkling water for arrival. Then guests can help themselves to drinks (white/red wine, TEA ale, larger) as we will have bought it all. I would like to have sparlkling wine but we aren't having speeches so I don't know when that could happen. Also considering having our own cocktail that will be made up in jugs for self-service. I love G&T so I might need to include this as well. I can't get too carried away - we need to buy all of this!

• *Funky*
    Beginner January 2001
    *Funky* ·
    • Hide content

I think people usually have fizz because it is seen to be more celebratory then just wine (and what better idea to crack open the fizz then a wedding?), not that there is anything wrong with wine its just that most people drink it more frequently so having something different i guesws feels like more of a treat so cocktails etc also fit that bill...but certainly nothing wrong with wine beer or any other booze if that's what you like,

• clarehj
    Beginner April 2012
    clarehj ·
    • Hide content

I'm with funkyjameseo - bit of fizz at weddings is great, and there's nothing wrong with presecco.

I had presecco and kir royales - wish I had a signature cocktail (been watching far too many 4 weddings US) but cocktails were really expensive at our venue, and technically a kir royale is still a cocktail!

• R
    Expert June 2024
    rachel2012 ·
    • Hide content

We are having pimms and beer at ours

• Flukey35
    Beginner July 2013
    Flukey35 ·
    • Hide content

Champagne or Pimms on arrival, champagne for the toasts, wine with the meal, we are allowing a bottle per person, (any left over WONT go to waste), then a free bar for the rest of the night.

Oooooh I can't wait. xxx

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

It must depend on the venue. Our package includes champagne as a welcoem drink for guests, but they said we could substitute that with Pimms if we wanted to. I'm considering it, actually, as after tasting Pimms for the first time this summer I'm head over heels in love with it. Our venue will let us do a combination of both as well, so guests have a choice of drink.

• Agouti
    Beginner September 2013
    Agouti ·
    • Hide content

We're probably having pimms, beer and juice as our reception drinks, then wine with the meal and champers for the toast. We have a lot of boys coming to our wedding so figured they would appreciate a bottle of beer more than pimms etc.

Aside from the cost, I wasn't keen on having champagne or similar as a reception drink because it goes straight to my head!!

• jojo2
    Beginner June 2012
    jojo2 ·
    • Hide content

We had a variety of drinks. Bottles of Budweiser for the beer drinkers, sparkling wine and Bucks Fizz or sparkling water for everybody else plus the bar was open.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics