Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

M
Beginner November 2012

Artificial flowers vs Real flowers

missjune, 28 of August of 2011 at 22:03 Posted on Planning 0 35

What does everyone think? I am considering having some artificial flowers for my wedding as i have found some gorgeous ones. However, i'm still not sure that they will match up to the real thing. What does everyone else think?

35 replies

Latest activity by jhndavid, 23 of September of 2011 at 08:38
  • B
    Beginner October 2011
    bingowings ·
    • Hide content

I've just ordered some silk flowers. They look amazing on their website and i've been able to choose exactly the flowers I want without worrying about what flowers are in season and whether they will last (my wedding is over two days). They are cheaper and I can keep them forever.

I should receive them and the button holes in the next couple of weeks so shall report back as to how good they look?

• *Bea*
    Beginner October 2011
    *Bea* ·
    • Hide content

Real all the way for me. There are some lovely artificial flowers out there but IMO they just don't match up to the real thing.

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content

I'm having artificial for 2 main reasons

1) we can keep then forever

2) we're having a blessing 2 weeks after the marriage and can use the same one for that meaning it's cut our flower budget in half.

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

I went for a bit of a mixture. We are having real flowers for all the bouquets and button holes plus a display in the venue and silk flowers for the center pieces which we are hiring.

For me i love the smell of real flowers but to do this across the board was very expensive. It has worked out £100 for my bouquet,£20 each for 5 bridesmaids,about £20 for button holes and £25 for the display. The center pieces we are hiring cost £5 each. I think the bill was £300 which i thought was very reasonable.

• M
    Beginner November 2012
    missjune ·
    • Hide content

That would be great. I thought maybe i could have my bouquets and table centres with real roses but pew ends, the bannisters and fire places fake ones. Thought it might half my bill aswell as everything is just so expensive.

• N
    Beginner August 2013
    nickya ·
    • Hide content

I'm having artificial flowers because I suffer very badly with hayfever/allerigies, I am however having a real flower top table spread because I'm going to put it on my grandparents grave, as i want them to be part of my day.

I think artificial flowers can look as good as real, and sometimes better.

• W
    Beginner
    Wicket ·
    • Hide content

I had an artificial bouquet for my wedding as I wanted to keep it and didn't have to spend lots of money. This is my bouquet: https://sarahsflowers.co.uk/bridesmaids-bouquets/handtied-posies/red-ivory-crystal-wedding-posy/prod_1349.html

It's really good quality and is now sitting next to my favourite wedding photo.

HTH

• K
    Beginner June 2012
    kfair ·
    • Hide content

Were having a mixture too, Dumblesquad they look fab they are def the best ive seen so far. ?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you are wanting a garland for the bannister, by far the cheapest alternative would be to buy a ready-made one. You can buy them made from ivy with roses already attached which could be entwined through or attached on top of the bannister. Unfortunately for a florist to make one, it takes too many man-hours in time which bumps the price up dramatically. Not sure what time of year you are getting married but fireplaces are a great place to put twisted willow branches on and run twinkling lights through. Looks great for a winter wedding or you could add dried fruit for an autumn wedding or pop some artificial roses in between for a summer one.

• B
    Beginner October 2011
    bingowings ·
    • Hide content

Hi

I said I would report back on the silk flowers i received. They have far exceeded my expectation and my friends have commented on how real they look. They also double up as keepsakes so everybody's a winner!

• Random Name
    Random Name ·
    • Hide content

this is what we are doing too. We will be having 15 tables so worked out expensive. I thought about buy real flowers in bulk and making for centerpiece but with silk I can make them up with the girls in advance

• B
    Beginner October 2011
    bingowings ·
    • Hide content

My photos dont do them justice, so here's the link

http://www.silkblooms.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=1_6&products_id=1145

The buttonholes are stunning

http://www.silkblooms.co.uk/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1155

Really inexpensive too Smiley smile

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I'm sooooooooo glad they're nice! I'm getting my flowers from there so it's good to know they are good.

How long was it from them making the flowers to you getting them?

• Iheartbuttons
    Iheartbuttons ·
    • Hide content

Nothing can beat the smell of fresh flowers but where is my bouquet from 10 years ago? In the loft - pressed onto card. It has never been on the wall as to be honest, it looks a bit naff.

So for me, it would be artificial. 10 years ago there wasn't the choice you have now with satin, silk, paper and (of course) buttons Smiley winking but if there were, I am sure my bouquet or flower displays would be on show.

• B
    Beginner October 2011
    bingowings ·
    • Hide content

It took about 3 weeks. They said they aim to get it to the bride at least a month before they are due to get married. They were great at communicating and stuck to their word regarding delivery. I thoroughly recommend them!

Beginner December 2011
    *Karina2009* ·
    • Hide content

Im having silk flowers and how to i want them from silkblooms. i think artifical are better as can be kept forever, and cheaoer too. why spend loads of money on real ones for them to die a few days later.

Karina xx

• Bittersweet
    Beginner June 2012
    Bittersweet ·
    • Hide content

I love real flowers but for me Artificial were the only option for me. Both my BM and I suffer from hayfever so I opted for silk, that way I wouldnt be all 'snuffly' and red nosed throughout the entire day. There are so many silk options out there and they look so real!

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content

I had artificial and was 100% happy with that decision. They cost a fraction of what I was quoted for fresh and I'll have them forever. My BMs also have theirs and it's lovely to see them on display in their homes too.

When my tog first joined me on the wedding day, the first thing he told me to do was get my flowers out of the sunlight or they'd wilt. He sees a lot of flowers, so if he was fooled then they must have looked good!

• greenbean
    Beginner July 2012
    greenbean ·
    • Hide content

I'm having artificial but i do worry about where to get the from as I'm guessing there is a wide variety of qualities out there. Great that silkblooms hve a good review - i will look with them. They don't have daffodils tho so will have to look elsewhere soon. Striperach - where did you get your flowers from??

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Artificial flowers have improved dramatically over the years and can be scented to even smell real. Photographically though, when done in true detail, where backlighting the petals to capture the structure of the flower, real ones still do come across better.....pictorially.

That said, apart from the extreme close ups, for general wedding photographs, it is hard to tell the diffference....

Peter

• B
    Beginner October 2011
    bingowings ·
    • Hide content

Greenbean, they will make anything you want so you should ask if they can do daffodils. Good luck Smiley smile

• stripeyrache
    Beginner February 2011
    stripeyrache ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine were from an Etsy seller, who did all my bouquets and buttonholes. Even with the shipping from Australia they were still cheaper than my fresh flower quote. https://www.etsy.com/shop/flowersbythevase

• Chidders
    Beginner June 2012
    Chidders ·
    • Hide content

We are having fresh in bouquets and buttonholes and artificial for table centres etc. I prefer fresh but I just could not justify the extra cost.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

Very very oddly, I too suffer with hayfever quite acutely, although in all the years I have been photographing weddings, I have never suffered it during the coverage.....

Sometimes there is no logic.....

Peter

• N
    Beginner April 2012
    Natjay ·
    • Hide content

We're having real bouquets and button holes as H2b suffers from hayfever and as we are having an April wedding didnt want to risk it.

Also Having artificial centre pieces and ceremony flowers

My bouquet will be going on my grandparents grave so they had to be real, as my gran hated fake flowers lol ??

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

If you are still looking for daffodils. the wholesalers have just got some extremely realistic looking artificial mini daffodils in which are gorgeous. If you would like to see a photo, just drop me an email and I will send a photo through for you.

Peter - You are absolutely right about there being no logic! I worked with fresh flowers for years and never suffered. Within 6 months of selling my shop, I started with hayfever! Hence the move over to artificial!

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

There are lots of artificial daffodils available, I've used them before but check the quality as some can look very artificial, if you want any examples feel free to email me:

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content

I'm going with real, because for me nothing compares to the smell and feel of fresh flowers.

I've found a company that preserve flowers though, and for £60 they can take a few flowers from your bouquet and encase them in a glass globe paperweight, so I'll be doing that.

• M
    Beginner August 2012
    Mets ·
    • Hide content

I'm going for artificial flowers for the following reasons:

- much kinder to my wedding budget!

- they last all day & night

A few people I know who got married and had fresh flowers said that theirs died throughout the day and I don't want a wilting bouquet :*( I just don't think it's worth the money.

I did some research and think I will purchase this set below - so cheap! Off eBay so I will order a bridesmaid bouquet first (I need 5) to check the quality etc and then purchase the entire set if happy. I'll be purchasing some diamante pins and pearl things to add to the bouquet too and this will cost the fraction of the price if I went for real flowers.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Wedding-Foam-Flowers-Bride-Bouquet-4-Bridesmaid-Posies-/180718211057?pt=UK_Home_Garden_Celebrations_Occasions_ET&hash=item2a13a50ff1#ht_500wt_1156

They look pretty plain but I plan to make them look more like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=130511159185&ssPageName=ADME:B:WNASIF:GB:1123#ht_500wt_1156

I'm actually scared I'll love my bouquet so much I won't want to throw it!!!

• Bowski
    Bowski ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I hope they're quick! They're starting work on mine next week and the wedding is a month on Thursday!

I'm getting excited now!

• K
    Beginner October 2011
    karen945 ·
    • Hide content

I've just picked my flowers up today. They are fabric ones and are stunning.❤️ I will flash later on when I get chance.

This way we have a fantastic momento of the day, and it's not a waste of money on fresh flowers.

I am having vases of freesias on each table, so the live flowers are making a small appearance on the day.

• filoftus
    Beginner November 2012
    filoftus ·
    • Hide content

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics