Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner May 2012

Asking for contribution towards wedding album as gift?

loopylou1980, 18 November, 2010 at 11:46 Posted on Planning 0 9

Hi all,

I am new to this site, and newly engaged! Woo hoo!

We have just booked our photographer and are considering asking for contributions towards our album for our wedding gift.

Does this sound stingy?! We have a lovely home, and our honeymoon is paid for, so there is nothing else we really need, and we would love our friends to pay for our memories as we will keep our photos forever.

Also, how can I ask for this in the invitations without sounding rude?

Thanks

Lou x

9 replies

Latest activity by sarahb3426, 18 November, 2010 at 17:08
  • Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Welcome to Hitched and congratulations on your engagement!

I'm a bit confused....do you mean you would like money towards the actual photographer's costs and package, or have you seen a really posh photo album that you would like some money towards?

If it's the cost of the photographer, personally I wouldn't ask for money towards this as I think this is a cost of the wedding, and if I was a guest, I wouldn't contribute towards that and would just buy a present instead. I'm in the old fashioned camp that it's a bit cheeky to ask for money for any purpose, but especially if it's towards the cost of something that in my opinion should be covered by the B&G themselves.........

If it's a very posh album that youve seen that you want to buy, I think you could ask for a contribution as in theory it's no different to having a gift list but I would be concerned that as a guest, I might be contributing to paying for the day rather than a lasting memory, even though it is for the photographs which last. i think guests generally prefer to buy something that is tangible rather than covering the cost of somthing IYSWIM?

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    loopylou1980 ·
    • Hide content

Well the gift registry would be with our photographer - but the money would be going towards one of two things, either the wedding album that we want (which is rather pricey) or a canvas for our living room of one of our photos, something we would keep forever.

There is literally nothing else we need, and from a guest point of view, I would rather get the B&G something they can keep forever, and something they really want and will treasure.

I must admit, I can't remember a time over the past few years when I have attended a wedding with an actual gift. Friends have either asked for money, vouchers, dontations to charity or contributions towards their honeymoon, I personally don't see a contribution to what is effectively art work for our home to be any different than having a gift list.

• MrsBarnett2b
    Beginner
    MrsBarnett2b ·
    • Hide content

I think that asking for one of those as your wedding gift is fine, not stingy at all. Im sure people would want to contribute towards something worthwhle that you want. Lots of people ask for money these days and im never offended when people ask for it. The canvas idea is great.

• Bobbins30
    Beginner November 2010
    Bobbins30 ·
    • Hide content

Then if it's towards either the album or the canvas, that would be fine and I think you can ask for contributions towards that. I was just meaning, that if the money is to go towards the cost of the photographer rather than a large canvas etc, then some guests may not feel comfortable and would maybe class this as a wedding cost rather than a gift.

You could put a slip in with your invites asking for a contribution to the canvas and then guests are clear that it is for something for your home. If people still don't want to contribute then they dont have to, and you may just get some that prefer to give a present but that's the same whether you ask for money or not!

• loopyloo80
    Beginner May 2012
    loopyloo80 ·
    • Hide content

WOW our names are almost the same Freaky!

Anyway Yes I think thats fine asking for the albulm or canvas. photos are not cheap! Smiley laugh

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Looplou1980 - Hello and welcome to hitched!! Congrats on your impending wedding!

If I were you then I would just explain on the invites what the money would be spend on. I can't remember the exact words but our invites say something along the lines of: "We have been asked what we want as a wedding gift and the truth is - you at our wedding. However while a gift is not needed or expected, if you do insist our preference would be a contribution to a new three piece suite for our new home"

I think if you tell people what you are going to spend cash on, thent they are more likely to give it.

Loopyloo80 - yes the names are simular, made me think - I am sure she's not that new, we were chatting about dresses yesterday... haha.

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    loopylou1980 ·
    • Hide content

Apologies for the name confusion!!

I agree, I think being more specific as to where the money will go - I really don't want people to think they are contributing towards the day as such!

Basically if we get more than the cost of our album or canvas we will add more pages or upgrade our album. We are looking at a gorgeous coffee table album with a acrylic cover, leather bound, but it is nearly £1k! OUCH!

It's just a hard thing to try and word! I totally understand that some people want to buy an actual present, but with a 3 bed house bursting at the seams it is hard to imagine where we would put anything else!!

Lx

• N
    Beginner July 2011
    nikkilew5 ·
    • Hide content

HI Loopylou1980

I just read your thread question and thought i would reply.... i personally dont think its cheeky asking for costs towards a weddng album. My Photography company actually run a really good gift list service as to where the guests buy vouchers for their company and can be allocated towards their photography package also add on different gifts that the bride and groom choose if guests would rather buy an actual gift.

I think i will probably opt to use this service....if people feel ok asking for travel vouchers (which they do....i used to work in travel for years and travel wedding lists were so popular) towards a honeymoon why should photography vouchers be any different!!

hope this helps

nikki

• L
    Beginner May 2012
    loopylou1980 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks all, my photographer does offer a gift registery service, so we are going to go for it! YAY! Very exciting!

xx

• sarahb3426
    Beginner June 2012
    sarahb3426 ·
    • Hide content

Hi and welcome to Hitched!

I dont think its rude at all, we have our own house etc etc and will be asking for money, probably to go towards out hooneymoon. x

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics