Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

R
Beginner March 2014

Asking friends to be bridesmaids - how did you do it?

rainforest7sparkle, 15 of January of 2014 at 14:11 Posted on Planning 0 17

I'm just wondering how other people out there asked their friends to be their bridesmaids. Did you do anything in particular/special? I made my two best friends a box each full of supplies that may be needed leading up to the wedding and on the day. I also cut out loads of pictures of hair styles, bouquets and other general pictures that goes along with the theme of my wedding which is vintage. I wrote them each a separate poem and put that in the lid of the box along with a picture of the dress they wanted to wear. They both loved it and it made them feel really special, just what I wanted. Did anyone else do anything?

17 replies

Latest activity by Cat In A Teacup, 16 of January of 2014 at 20:21
  • SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Oh that's so ... so ... *sniff*

I, on the other hand, am not having Bridesmaids! I don't have a 'special girl' friend (lots of good friends but not really anyone I's want to be THAT close to for the next 9 months!) My best mate is a fella, I sent him a text asking if he'd do a speech at the wedding for me. I know if I'd have asked him in a soppy way he'd have laughed at me and told me stop being weird!

• MissKB
    Beginner June 2014
    MissKB ·
    • Hide content

My best friends knew before I got engaged that they would be bridesmaids, so I didnt do anything like this!

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

Aw that's lovely. I didn't actually ask mine - I told them! ?

Beginner April 2014
    *PN* ·
    • Hide content

This is so sweet and thoughtful! I would never think to do anything like this!

I just asked my bridesmaid shortly after telling her OH had proposed!

• MrsA2B2014
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsA2B2014 ·
    • Hide content

That is such a beautiful idea.

My BM's had known for years that if I got married I'd choose them but to make it official I sent them cards from the wonderful Moonpig. It had pictures of us throughout the years on it and "Will you be my BM/Maid of (Dis)honour.

They loved them.

• ATB
    Beginner August 2014
    ATB ·
    • Hide content

This is nice, very original.

Of the 8 times I was bridesmaid I was just asked normally - in conversation.

One of my bridesmaids I had to ask accidentally (I wanted her!) I'd text her to say I was engaged but she didn't get it, I'd then put the news on Facebook, which one of her friends saw, and then told her. I felt terrible this was the way she'd found out I was engaged, so I said along the lines of "waaaa that's terrible, imagine my bridemaid finding out second hand through facebook?" She was fine with it and laughed it off, her sister (my other cousin) is my other bridesmaid, and I never asked her, I don't think, was just sort of assumed (I do want her too!)

My best friend I asked her what she was planning for my hen party, to which she responded she wasn't being a bridemaid. So that was a royal kick in the nuts. I didn't bother asking any of my other friends after that!...

• R
    Beginner March 2014
    rainforest7sparkle ·
    • Hide content

Awww, fancy your best friend saying that! I'd be gutted if mine had turned round and said no!! Mine knew before I gave them this that they were bridesmaids but I had seen these sorts of things on the internet from people in the US and just thought it was a different special way to be formally asked. I know if I had received something like this I would have been over the moon. All the times I was a bridesmaid I have just been asked in conversation too. My friends have been amazing through a lot of hard times so I really wanted to make them feel special.

• DrBuffles
    Beginner August 2014
    DrBuffles ·
    • Hide content

Aww that's so thoughtful.

I didn't officially ask my maid of honour, it was just kind of assumed and has been for years!

I did give my BM who is OH's sister a little box with my wedding pink nail varnish in and a card asking her. I've always said I wouldn't have any BM's and I knew she was a bit disappointed so I thought it would be nice to surprise her. She was thrilled.

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content
  • Alisha.B
    Expert April 2022
    Alisha.B ·
    • Hide content

Im using red heart shaped velveteen boxes with a emerald eternity style ring (not an eternity ring but can think how else to describe it)and a card say 'will you be my bridesmaid' - already got them picked out (just need to officially pay for them lol)

I was recently asked to be a MOH... this just happened over the phone but that is due to circumstance

• MrsB88
    Beginner August 2015
    MrsB88 ·
    • Hide content

Wow thats lovely! I bought some 'will you be my BM?' cards from the internet. They both cried when they opened them so done the trick x

• flowersinherhair
    Beginner April 2014
    flowersinherhair ·
    • Hide content

I got a small gift box, the size of a ring box, stuck a Haribo ring inside and wrote will you be my bridesmaid under the lid. She loved it! I considered going down on one knee and presenting it to her but cos we were in a public bar and I was sober I chickened out.

• mooshy
    Beginner April 2014
    mooshy ·
    • Hide content

I told my besty I was engaged and after a few minutes of squealing she said "I am your bridesmaid aren't I?!" So that was easy.

• BrownEyedGal
    Beginner May 2014
    BrownEyedGal ·
    • Hide content

That's lovely! Very thoughtful!

I 'officially' asked my three by making cards. I also did them for the groomsmen and pageboys:

They seemed to like them! Don't think they lasted all that long tho...didn't use the best glue! oops!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

I just phoned them and asked. I hadn't been on any wedding forums at that point so didn't realise that there was any other way it should be done.

• leecindy
    Beginner November 2014
    leecindy ·
    • Hide content

It is really a great idea.

• jfilsell
    Beginner March 2014
    jfilsell ·
    • Hide content

This is lovely - I wish I was capable of stuff like this.

I just drunkenly asked all of them (apart from one who lives away) the day we got engaged. I even told one she was MOH and then sort of took it back. It was a bit weird. I think I just realised I didn't really know what one was...So I guess that's a lesson to you all!

The day we got engaged OH arranged a party in our local, which is how I managed to ask my BMs in person. Awkwardly one friend - NOT a BM - asked ME if she could be BM.

Thankfully I was drunk enough to not find it THE MOST AWKWARD MOMENT OF MY LIFE.

?

• Cat In A Teacup
    Beginner August 2015
    Cat In A Teacup ·
    • Hide content

I asked them over the phone when I told them I was engaged.

Except my sister, who I wasn't going to have as a BM because I already had 5 and we aren't that close. My mum decided to tell her she wasn't going to be bridesmaid before I had spoken to her. She got really upset, although understood, and I ended up asking her because I felt guilty!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics