Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

G
Beginner October 2016

Asking guests to pay for their own meal the night before the wedding?

Galbear, 6 of February of 2016 at 08:45 Posted on Planning 0 5

As the post title suggests, we are having a meal the night before our wedding after the rehearsal and inviting bridal party and close family. We are leaving it up to them whether or not they want to come to the meal (they might just want a chilled evening the night before) and just asking us to let us know if they are coming when the RSVP to the wedding itself.

Is it okay to expect our families and bridal party to pay for their own meals? We are paying for everything the next day - wedding breakfast, all drinks, evening buffet and for some of the hotel rooms too, so I thought it would be reasonable not to have to pay for a meal for around 25 people the night before too. But now I am wondering if that is okay? And if it is okay, should I be mentioning to people that they will be paying?

Any thoughts please? Smiley smile

5 replies

Latest activity by Arpee, 8 of February of 2016 at 13:58
  • Jayne E
    VIP
    Jayne E ·
    • Hide content

We stayed at a hotel where the wedding was being held the night before my sons wedding. They decide ded on a restaurant and sent a note to everyone saying something along the lines of ... We plan to eat at such and such a restaurant at x time. Prices range from x to y. We are very happy for anyone who wishes to join us to come along. Most went and we all knew that we would be payng for our own meal and noone has a problem with it. I think as long as people don't arrive thinking its a free meal there is no problem. If they wish to meat somewhere else or not bother at all its entirely up to them.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

Rehearsal dinners are standard in the US, and are hosted (and paid for) by the groom's family.

How that translates over to the UK - I'm not sure.

However, I'd probably separate out the invitation to the rehearsal dinner from the wedding invitations/RSVP so it's clear that it's casual, separate and they'll pay for it.

• Mrsjones2024
    Rockstar June 2024 Essex
    Mrsjones2024 ·
    • Hide content

We have hired barns across the road from our venue for the weekend of the wedding. The night before the wedding, we are planning on having a BBQ or hog roast for everyone in the wedding party (about 30 odd people) which we are intending to pay for. The morning after the wedding, we are heading to a local B&B (where other guests are staying) to have breakfast with everyone in their restaurant which will be buffet style. I'm not going to pay for the breakfast as it is another £12.95 each on top of everything else that we will have paid for. The guests staying at the B&B will have it included in their room rate and the other 30 people, I will just tell them that they are welcome along to breakfast the next day and it is £12.95 each so that it is clear that they will have to pay. I might put a separate insert in with their invitations so that they know the plan for the weekend X

• TrixieSaurus
    Beginner August 2016
    TrixieSaurus ·
    • Hide content

I think it's fine to expect everyone to pay for their own meals, providing they are aware that they will be doing so.

We did go to a wedding where the invite asked for guests to join them the evening before at the camp site for drinks, so there was no formal meal so to speak. The invite stated that guests could enjoy a pot of something on arrival, however it wasn't clear at all that this would be at an extra cost (in fact it read very much the opposite to most!), so there were a few people that were a bit miffed at being asked to pay afterwards!

As someone above said though, if you invite people to a meal and say something like, 'if you would like to join us, meals are priced between x and y pounds', to me it would be pretty clear that you will not be paying for the meal

• Mrslh2b
    Beginner August 2016
    Mrslh2b ·
    • Hide content

I think it’s fine as you have said that you don’t expect everyone to come – as long as you’re upfront with people from the beginning to there are no awkward conversations on the night it’ll be fine!

• Arpee
    Beginner August 2016
    Arpee ·
    • Hide content

If you put something along the same lines as Jayne E's son, you'll be fine - we're eating in X place, come and join us, prices range from X to Y cost. No-one would think they were getting a free meal that way!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics