Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

B

Asking people for their wine preference? (Red or White?)

26 November, 2012 at 14:16 Posted on Planning 0 20

Good or bad idea?

We are doing a wine reception and wine on the tables - I'm thinking it might help us to accurately balance the amount we order?

When doing the table plan I would just put 'R' or 'W' at the end of their name so once complete I could see how many red / white wine drinkers there were on that table and order accordingly?

Anyone else doing / done / thought about this?

20 replies

Latest activity by Helenia, 26 November, 2012 at 19:49
  • DaffodilWaves
    DaffodilWaves ·
    • Hide content

We sort of did it and ended up not having wine because of it.

Very few of the Men drank it so we decided to allow people to order their drink and have it given to them before the meal at the table. We did this before the starter and then the Main. People LOVED it. Men had pints, my Nan had a whiskey and non drinkers had a bottled juice. It was great to see everyone enjoying it too.

When we saw the bill, only 5 wines were ordered.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

When you say 'wine reception' do you mean the arrival drinks?

I personally wouldn't advise having wine for both.

When people arrive, they probably will be a bit peckish (or maybe that's just me). And giving them wine, even with canapes, is asking for trouble!

You might be better off with something a bit lighter, like a sparkling cocktail. If you're sourcing your own, M&S do some great ones.

As for with dinner, unless you know your friends differ from the norm, I would go with a 50:50 split.

I know people that just drink red, just white, and those (me!) who'll drink what's put in front of them. It normally balances out in the end.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We did this - we had an RSVP card and one of the spaces to fill in was whether they would prefer red or white wine for the wedding breakfast.

• Knees
    VIP August 2012
    Knees ·
    • Hide content

At my sister's wedding, they didn't have wine waiting on the tables when the guests sat down. They put something in the menu saying something like "your table has been allocated X bottles of wine. Please let the waiting staff know your preference of white, red or rose". They could then discuss between them and order the relevant amount of each when the waiters came round.

Wine was served by waiters at ours and was included in the package so it wasn't an issue.

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Prosecco isn't less alcoholic than wine though really?

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Sorry missed the Bucks Fizz bit!

I really wouldn't worry about 'limiting the damage' though - we had loads of free booze at ours and everything was fine. Everyone really appreciated it.

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

*Another reason why I wish I'd have been at Kharvo's wedding ?*

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

We also had free booze for the entire wedding and agree with Kharv that everyone appreciated it.

I think you need to give your guests a bit of credit - it's not the first time that people will have been out drinking! - and trust that they will drink within their capabilities.

With the ratio of red to white we split around 70:30 in favour of white which seemed to work - we didn't run out of either

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

We didn't provide free bar all the way throughout but once the paid bar came later in it was very cheap.

We asked people's preferences as I only drink red and knowing me I'd have the ratio all wrong! I'm pleased we did ask though - I think it made everyone feel that little bit more catered for.

Or, as Knees said - a note saying how many bottles are paid for and for them to order them is a nice way of doing it too!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

What kind of horror stories? You mean people spilling etc?

Worth the risk IMO! Ha!

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

People WASTE wine by spilling it?!

Outrageous!

• kharv
    Beginner March 2012
    kharv ·
    • Hide content

Indeed Kirst! Scandalous.

Although I am a bugger for spilling wine. Talk with my hands to much ya see? Good job there's generally another bottle hanging around somewhere...

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've normally drunk the 'other' bottle.

• Pook82
    Beginner August 2012
    Pook82 ·
    • Hide content

I actually ended up throwing a glass of vodka and coke on myself at my reception (a vigorous dance move with my sister and nephew!) but miracukously it didn't stain my dress at all, just gave me a bit of a wet face! I think it was the work of the wedding pixies!

• Helenia
    Beginner September 2011
    Helenia ·
    • Hide content

Not a bad idea to ask for preferences, but I wouldn't go so far as marking their placecards or anything, as people might change their mind and/or might want to drink different wines with different courses. It depends what you're having for your main - if it's chicken or fish then many people will stick with white the whole way through the meal; if it's a red meat then some (like me!) might change to a red wine to go with it.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics