Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Vee Tee
Beginner April 2012

Asthma sufferers/steroids

Vee Tee, 28 March, 2012 at 17:58 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 21

Does anyone suffer from quite bad asthma? My Oh does, and the poor lad was wheezing so badly at work yesterday that he had to call the doctor and make an appt with the asthma nurse for that day and she gave him a course of steroids where he has to take 6 of them with his dinner for 5 days.

He's been in a state ever since, the pills have left him with an upset tummy and a sore osophageus as well as his already sore chest from all the wheezing.

The asthma eased off after the first dose last night but when he came out the shower this morning he was wheezing again and said that he had hardly slept with an upset tummy and indigestion. He didn't eat all day and only had a can of juice which he brough back up. He didn't want any tea and I had to make him eat a baked potato and beans, Here's hoping this stays down.

He thinks its the warm weather thats brought this on and we are now worried about how he'll cope in Turkey.

His nurse prescribed him an extra week long course to take with him in case it starts up again. Hope he doesn't keep up with the ill effects.

Anyone got experience of this? The drug is called prednisolone (5mg)

Thanks

21 replies

Latest activity by Vee Tee, 29 March, 2012 at 17:13
  • Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I've been on this for about 8 weeks now, but not for asthma. My side effects could be worse because of the length of time I have been taking them.

Nothing for the first four weeks, but since they started lowering the dose (by 5mg a week down from 40mg a day) the side effects have got worse. Bloating, swelling, weight gain, headaches, emotional wreck... they are all there!

I was also given omeprazole to prevent stomach irritation, which touch wood I haven't had, but the other side effects have been a nightmare.

I hope that he is ok, a short course shouldn't affect him for too long, but everyone reacts differently.

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Me. I have asthma, and have taken prednisolone in the past, but haven't suffered from any of the side effects that your OH is - sounds really awful.

Does your OH take inhalers? I take Beclaforte 250 and serevent daily, and occasionally salbutamol. My first point of call when I'm wheezing is to increase my inhalers - normally I'm on a total of 1000 Beclaforte but I'll up this to 1250, sometimes 1500 and increase the serevent by one or two puffs before I go to the dr. Normally this is enough, and after a week or so I'll gradually reduce everything again.

I also suffer from hay fever (painting a lovely picture of a gasping, wheezing pile of snot and phlegm here aren't I?!) and find that the two are very closely linked. I take Pirinase nose-spray every day, once in the morning and once at night, which helps no end. If I run out and I don't bother to buy another one straight away (you can buy them over the counter at Boots rather than needing a prescription) it will have a negatve effect on my asthma and I usually start feeling tight chested and wheezy.

If your OH does take regular inhalers he could maybe increase his inhalers a little bit in the week before you go away ad keep taking the higher dose until you come home? It might help. And I would call the docs about his reaction to prednisolone - it doesn't sound right at all. Hope the potato and beans stay down.

• kittykat9/9
    Beginner October 2011
    kittykat9/9 ·
    • Hide content

Where abouts are you living or working? In London they have said the warm weather and lack of wind is going to cause problems for us asthma sufferers because the polution is building up and not being blwon away which means we are breathing in more toxic fumes than normal which really affects us (tey always anticipate an increase in admissions for people with breathing conditions at times like these). I have doubled up on my puffers taking brown and blue (when normally I can avoid them) because like MrsJ2B I also have hayfever which makes my asthma worse so it's a really bad time. Your Oh might not be so bad in Turkey because it might not be the heat that has triggered it if you have any liely sources of pollen or pollution nearby.

Definitely get him checked for the prednisalone though.

HTH x

• *gnashers*
    Beginner October 2013
    *gnashers* ·
    • Hide content

I'm a massive lurker on here and rarely say anything (see my post count!) but thought I'd give my two pence worth in case it helps.

I often have to take these steroids as I suffer from an inflammatory condition and I'm always given the ones that are 'enteric coated' as I think they're a bit better on the stomach. Check to see if they are what he has and if not, get back to the docs and ask for them.

Last time I was put on steroids, the GP told me the default Pred that comes up on the system is the type that isn't coated as it's cheaper. So he has to manually select the coated version

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

Pm me if you like?? Am on a whole host of steroids for asthma Smiley sad

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Aaah I knew you girls would come through for me, such great answers thank you so much.

Kirstabubble thank you for coming out of lurking to share that, OH says he has had this drug before but it was coated before and he had no bother with it so I am now convinced that this is the issue. We will see how he is tomorrow but I have told him if it keeps irritating him he had better get back and change them for coated ones. His asthma nurse retires on Friday too so he better get in quick!!

Mrs J 2b you are a star as well - I think this Pirinase spray sounds like just the thing he needs for the summer too.

Oh is on a blue one called Ventalin and another white and red one which he does twice a day, I can't remember what its called but he does take them properly and as often as required.

As for the atmosphere and climate - we are on the north coast of scotland - where its supposed to be lovely clean air and no pollution etc etc, which for the most part is pretty true, but we have gone from 2 degrees to 20 degrees and back again in the last week so could still be temperature related.

Will PM you Mini as well for further discussion. Thank you all!!!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Pirinase used to be called Flixonase and Boots also do their own version of it. Depending on the chemist I go to they normally have one or the other...so if they look blankly at you when you ask for one, try asking for the other! I actually take mine every day all year round, and each one will normally last a month taking it twice a day in each nostril. I used to get it on prescription from the GP with my inhalers but buy it directly from the chemist now as it's marginally cheaper than a prescription. The chemist might try to tell you the usual spiel about going to the Dr if it doesn't clear up, but I take mine all year round (as previously directed by the doc) without problem. It helps me so much. I hope Mr Vee Tee is feeling better soon!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

I have had asthma since a child although fortunately much less worse since my teens. I do use one inhaler which is a steroid. I had to have a medical revue yesterday and the nurse advised me to rinse my mouth after each inhalation as there was a risk of THRUSH in the mouth!!!!!??

Never been told this one before!!!!!

There are several inhaler types and getting the right one can really ease the problems. My daughter also suffers and after a change of inhaler now rarely has any problems......Best to go back to the docs for a review.....

Peter

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Peter, the white one he has just now (symbicort) he has to take a drink after cos of the thrush thing!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I have had this inhaler for years and NEVER been told about the thrush thing before!!!!!!(I will be gargling my mouth out for weeks and weeks now to make up for lost time!!!!)

My daughters inhaler is Seretide...apparently v expensive although very very good<under many circumstances>. Not all docs are willing to prescribe although it is worth asking about....It has really made her life so much better regarding the breathing issues....

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

They can also cause mouth ulcers...

I have a spacer, which kind of looks like a baby's bottle. You put the inhaler in one end and breath through the other end. All of the stuff that would normally coat the inside of your mouth if you don't take a drink coats the inside of the spacer instead. Eventually the clear spacer goes completely white with the build up of this white powder...then it's time to give it a good wash or get a new one!

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Do you mean inhalers generally Mrs J 2b? I must admit that I have been very lucky over the years and not had this problem.......although the thrush thing has left me a bit worried!!! I guess that as with all things medical, we are all different and what works for one and what gives another side effects is all down to genetics and luck. I too was given a spacer although it is never around when I need a quick puff so has become a little redundant. I am though lucky that my asthma moderated considerably once I hit my late teens. I just get caught out occasionally when something triggers my breathing in the wrong way....btw...my spacer was about three times the size of the one shown......not sure why...

Peter

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content

Yes, inhalers can cause mouth ulcers - it's the residue left behind in your mouth after using the inhaler that causes them, apparently. I've had asthma since I was a child and I used to get terrible mouth ulcers, and was given a spacer then. I've always been on quite a high daily dose though, so that probably doesn't help. Like you, the spacer used to be a lot bigger, and most embarrassing when it came to sleepovers and school trips! You can buy the new ones from the chemist - you don't need to have a prescription.

Mine used to look like this:

• Natalie2011
    Beginner September 2012
    Natalie2011 ·
    • Hide content

I've been suffering recently so I am now on something called Montelukast which is a tablet and BRILLIANT!

In my medicines review with the chemist, he also suggested to take the reliever BEFORE the preventer in the morning and evening as the reliever opens the lungs to allow the steroids in the preventer the best access to your lungs and therefore more effective. got to say i was sceptical, but it's working a treat!!

• Figs
    Beginner June 2012
    Figs ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I do this too, it works really well.

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That was the one I was given 4 years ago.....

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I take becotide and Seretide and have been told for a good few years (at least) that I should take my Seretide twice a day before brushing my teeth so that it prevents the oral thrush.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I love Montelkast (Singulair), its a lifesaver especially during hayfever season.

• S
    Beginner October 2011
    SuperSpud ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I was told to do this, take my reliever before my preventer, by my Asthma Nurse, but when I saw my GP he told me off because I was re-ordering my Reliver too much, he said it should be "as and when for relief only". He also took me off the montelukast tablets too, which made my heyfever worse. I strongly suspect my GP is a grumpy git.

• Tray1980
    Beginner July 2013
    Tray1980 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

My asthma nurse would slap him! I've always been told to take my reliever twice a day and to take my montelukast all year round if I need it

• Vee Tee
    Beginner April 2012
    Vee Tee ·
    • Hide content

Well OH phoned the surgery today and they agreed to send the prescription for the enteric coated tablets to the chemist for him, which they did but there were none to be had in any chemist in town so he's to go back tomorrow when they will be delivered. ?

His asthma is much better its just his sore tummy thats persisting but hopefully the new tablets will sort that.

The suns gone away, its horrendous weather up here so dunno if this has helped the asthma too. brrrr.

I checked with him what drugs he takes and in what order and he's doing everything you've all recommended already so heres hoping the steroids are all he needs

thanks for all the help.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics