Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner April 2016

At what point did you ask your bridesmaids?

HappyPinkConfetti118, 12 of June of 2014 at 12:50 Posted on Planning 0 10

Hi I was hoping to get some thoughts on when's the best time to ask my BMs to be my BMs?

Over the next couple of weeks I'm going to book my church and venue and it will be for April 2016. I'm very excited haha and want to just do all the asking right now but I wondered if people normally wait till they have it booked and have something concrete to tell the bridal party? Or do people tend to wait even longer, like 12 months before or something?

Thanks x

10 replies

Latest activity by MrsW2b2016, 14 of June of 2014 at 23:10
  • pammy67
    Beginner April 2015
    pammy67 ·
    • Hide content

There are no rules hun. Ask when you want to. Just make sure you are 100% that you want the ones you ask and that nothing's likely to change between now and then to chnage your mind. So many people seem to have such massive issues with their BMs after've been asked that many wish they hadn't. So it's wise to think very carefully about who you want and what you espect from them.

x

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

My daughter was with us when H2B proposed, and so I asked her to be my bridesmaid on that very day. I think she already assumed she would be (she will be almost 21 on the date of the wedding) but was still suitably gushy when I asked her! My MOH is someone I have known since the day she was born, and she is now 30. She was my bridesmaid when I got married first time around, when she was just 7, and now she is more like a little sister to me. There was never any doubt in my mind I would ask her again, so I sprung it on her, again on the same day, by text (in my defence, we were on hols when he proposed, so facebook and text messaging went beserk!!).

If there was any doubt over who I would want to ask, I would have waited, at least until the news had properly sunk in.....! But with these two lovely ladies, there was never ever going to be any doubt, so I didn't want to wait!

H2B, on the other hand still hasn't sorted out a best man.......!

• mustard_mitt
    Beginner September 2015
    mustard_mitt ·
    • Hide content

I'm just about to ask mine.... just need to do it strategically as they live all over the place (furthest lives 200 miles away) and one is travelling in Thailand at the moment, but I plan to do it in person if possible. I've purposely waited til I booked the date (just in case! lol) Ours is next September, so 15 months away.

Littlest bridesmaid is only 3 so I'll just tell her she gets to wear a pretty dress on the day and she'll be thrilled! ?

• lovelaurajane
    Beginner August 2015
    lovelaurajane ·
    • Hide content

As soon as I told them the news I asked them haha! xx

• H
    Beginner April 2016
    HappyPinkConfetti118 ·
    • Hide content

Oooh I'm getting very excited now! Lol I will start looking online for cards or something to give them asking them to be BM... It's a good point to wait a bit if unsure but one is my cousin, one is my FSIL and one is my bezzie so I'm pretty set... Thanks for the replies :-) x

• lc93
    Beginner September 2016
    lc93 ·
    • Hide content

Our wedding is booked for September 2016 and I'm holding off for another year or so. The reason for this is because if you asked me 2 years ago I could have named my bridesmaids in an instant, but after a big group falling out I've not spoken to two of them for 18 months (and one of them was like a sister to me). I'm reasonably confident I know who I'll choose, but I guess once bitten twice shy and all that... I'd rather wait until I need to start thinking about serious planning eg dress shopping and check my choices still stand!!

• CrazyRatLady
    Expert September 2014
    CrazyRatLady ·
    • Hide content

I didn't actually ask mine! It was just unspoken that my two best friends would be bridesmaids and we just started looking at dresses etc.

• ClaireD*
    Beginner May 2014
    ClaireD* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That sounds like a safe bet - cousin, FSIL and best friend. Is this a long term since childhood best friend though???

I'm one of the ones who had bridesmaid 'issues', LOL, and I really wish I hadn't asked anyone until it got to be time to sort out dresses. By the time of dress shopping I would have felt a bit clearer about it and less giddy about asking people in the excitement of it all, and I also would have got a feel for who had actually been interested in the whole process of the wedding up until that point, which would have helped me rule out one or two of my choices I'm sure!

• M
    Beginner June 2016
    MrsAAToBe ·
    • Hide content

I asked mine the day we got engaged. We were on holiday and so I called and text a few people to tell them the news and I asked my girls at the same time. I've known for years who mine would be and it wasn't a surprise to any of them to have been asked. In fact, my MOH, I just text her a pic of the ring with the caption "bridesmaid?". As soon as she said yes I asked her to be MOH instead and then we had a very teary phone conversation. Once I'd asked them all I actually felt guilty for not doing it in person so then bought them each a little gift from our holiday and cards from notonthehighstreet.com and will ask them officially and in person this week as I see them. (I've seen them since we got engaged, but didn't have the cards) Excited!

• cymruangel
    Beginner December 2014
    cymruangel ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Same here! My best friends and sister pretty much asked when I told them I was engaged "when are we dress shopping?" But then OH did say 3 months into our relationship, to my best friends, that he was going to marry me and did they have bridesmaids plans ready, so perhaps a.) it was him that asked not me! And b.) they've had over 5 years to plan!

• M
    Beginner December 2015
    MrsW2b2016 ·
    • Hide content

We and H2B had talked about gettig msrried beore so my sister and best mate alread knew they would be BMs. However, I did still write a card for my best mate thanking her for all she had done for me over the last c

ouple years and asking her then (and for her son to be my PB).

My other best mate I asked a few weeks later when I went round to see her, so pretty much all were asked within the first month. I know I wont change my mind on any of these and definitely wont be having anymore!

If you're sure I say ask away! Xxx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics