Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

H
Beginner August 2010

August or September 2010 for wedding, which one?

Haylz-Wales, 15 July, 2009 at 16:39 Posted on Planning 0 8

Hello everyone,

I'm a newbie here, looking for some advice on what month to have our wedding. My partner and I are getting married next year, viewed our venue on the weekend and fell in love with it, so all we need to do now is pick a date which it turns out is easier said than done, argh!

We are having a Sunday because its £1000 cheaper than a Saturday. The grounds of our venue in South Wales are absolutely beautiful so it would be a shame to not use them due to the wet UK weather! Anyway the dates we are looking at are: Sunday 22nd August or Sunday 5th September (2010). I always imagined an August wedding but maybe September would be drier than August, as the past two summers in wales have been very wet! I know that none of us can predict the weather (if only!) but any advice on what would be the best month would be greatly appreciated. Mum in law (to be) says you just have to pick a date and just forget about the weather situation as we can't do anything about it anyway but thats easier said than done I think, lol!

Is there anyone that got married last year or year before in Aug or Sept? Just want to hurry up and pick the date now so I can let the lady at the venue put us in the diary and then have a date we can work towards!

Cheers,

Haylz xx

8 replies

Latest activity by Haylz-Wales, 16 July, 2009 at 19:50
  • jen52637
    Beginner
    jen52637 ·
    • Hide content

Hello and welcome!

I'm getting married 3rd September next year so obviously I'm biased towards September! ? The reason we chose September was based on where we wanted to go on our honeymoon. We want to go to Italy and the weather is perfect then!

I personally feel that where we live (Scotland) it doesn't matter which date we pick, it'll probably rain anyway! I don't know much about Wales though, I'm afraid! I'm sure someone else will be able to give you better advice!

• Juicymelons
    Beginner May 2010
    Juicymelons ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

Another thing to consider is who is coming to your wedding, for example if you are having children coming to ceremony the day after your wedding is a school day, possibly first day back after summer holidays, so as a parent if I was going to a Sunday wedding with kids I probably wouldn't stay very late into the evening, whereas in August it wouldn't be an issue.

On the other hand if you weren't having kids at the wedding, I would go for September as before kids I would always go away September when kids were back at school and everywhere would be much more peaceful for a honeymoon !!

Good Luck deciding ?

• millymolly83
    Beginner August 2010
    millymolly83 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Well seeing i am getting married on Sunday 22nd August 2010, i would say choose August! ?

We wanted an August wedding and also what JM said was a main factor for us!!!

• nicky167
    Beginner September 2009
    nicky167 ·
    • Hide content

5th September is a great day to get married!!!

Congratulations & welcome to Hitched. X

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Hi

This probably won't help but we debated summer or spetemebr then ended up going Oct 1st 2010 (H2B is a photo fan and wanted to maximise chances of good light for photos! and we got engaged in Oct)

At the end of the day you can't predict the weather so go for the day that feels right for you, do you have a particular theme in mind that might be more suited to one date or the other?

As others have said have you considered if your date will efect anyone who has connections with schools?

Hope you get sorted what venue are you looking at we looked at a few in wales

xx

• twf
    Beginner August 2009
    twf ·
    • Hide content

Congrats!

We are getting married 22nd Aug, but I wanted to get married in early September, we could of waited till next year to get the date we wanted, but I didnt want to wait.

My advice would see where you want to go on honeymoon and then that would also be a factor - I wish I had done this, as we are going effectively in the school summer holidays so that bit more expensive and we also found we were limited on places to go.

So, I suggest September

x

• Bridget Gump
    Bridget Gump ·
    • Hide content

I second 5th September! we only chose September as we wanted to do it this year and my brother, at the time, was likely to be on his mid-tour break from Afghan in September, we didn't have time to arrange it before he went, and wanted a summer wedding so September was the most summery month he could make it. The venue had the 5th or 12th available and we went for the earlier date in the slight chance of it being better weather. We also realised after it's the same date my CBM got married last year so had a nice connection. As it is my bro's tour has been put back to late September so he will make it anyway.

Soooo many people keep saying to me how lovely the weather normally is in September, or they've heard it'll be a good month for it. I'm sure if I was getting married in August or October they'd say the same thing about those months.

2 weeks isn't going to make any reliable difference to the weather. I would take into consideration school holidays though.

HTH

• H
    Beginner August 2010
    Haylz-Wales ·
    • Hide content

Hi everyone,

Thanks for all your replies so far and for the welcome messages, very kind of you all! This setting the date malarkey is not easy is it? Driving me mad as I'm still going round in circles ?

Right, August...If we got married in August then we'd be able to have that traditional 'summer wedding' which I imagined. We're not having any kids at our wedding but some of DF's friends are married to teachers (plus his dad is the head of a school!) so would be easier for them to come in August before the schools go back. However, could be bit risky with rain and would also mean not being able to go off on honeymoon right after the wedding, which I think would be quite nice to do as it seems traditional. But then I guess even if we couldn't go on honeymoon straightaway then it'd give us something to look forward if we're on a bit of a downer after the wedding is over!

On the other hand, September....Well, the weather may be a bit nicer if last two years are anything to go by. Plus it would be cheaper to go on honeymoon straight after the wedding which would be nice after all the planning of the wedding etc. Also if we ever wanted to go away for our anniversary in the future then we would get cheaper hols :-) On the other hand, September might start to turn colder than August, and also there may be less daylight time and the light not be as good for the photographs, especially as we want to have our ceremony later in the day (around 3pm).

Honeymoon destinations we are considering are: Seychelles (year-round destination), Thailand (hol season doesn't start til October) or the Philippines which we would really love to do as we've been on about it for ages (just read that March to Sept is the best time to go so I guess that doesn't help the decision either, lol!)

Sorry to go on, you've all been brill though with your replies. I think I just need someone to make the decision for me, any takers? Haha! ?

Haylz xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics