Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

P
Beginner April 2011

Australian getting married in the UK. Is it possible?

paulshana, 1 December, 2009 at 00:26 Posted on Planning 0 11

Hi everyone

I just got engaged to my Lincolnshire born and bred boyfriend. We both live in Australia but would like to get married in England and I'm not sure how to go about checking what licenses/approves we need or if it is possible with neither of us living in the UK.

Any help would be massively appreciated!

Thank you!

11 replies

Latest activity by nifer, 3 December, 2009 at 01:27
  • Sandysounds
    Sandysounds ·
    • Hide content

It is possible. I've done quite a few weddings this year whereby bothB+G live somewhere else and they fly in a few days before. Recently I've done USA, New Zealand, Belgium and Australia.

Sorry....no idea about the licences and legal bit....I just know it is possible.

oh....and welcome to Hitched

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    paulshana ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Sandy - that's great news and thanks for replying!

• Simon and Alison
    Beginner
    Simon and Alison ·
    • Hide content

Hello

Yes it's definitely possible - we covered a wedding this summer with an Australian groom, the bride was British, and the couple both live in Australia. Again not sure on licences needed but you can do it

Ali x

• Bob - An Image For You
    Bob - An Image For You ·
    • Hide content

Hi Paulshana,

I have recently photographed a wedding for a couple living in Australia (he is from UK originally). It was a church wedding in London (Holy Sepelchure, where Captain John Smith is buried (he was the one who was rescued by Pochahontas?)).

Anyway, I digressed, You could contact the registry office or the church in the town you wish to get married in and I would expect they could point you in the right direction in obtaining licenses, etc.

The other way is to contact the British Home Office for details.

• emmy1979
    Rockstar June 2023 West Yorkshire
    emmy1979 ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

If your OH is a british national you should have no problems. Bear in mind in order to be eligible you will need to complete a full seven day residency in any district within England and Wales. You will need to provide proof of this residency (i.e. hotel invoice, flight tickets etc) On the eighth day of your residency you may give your Notice of Marriage to the local Register Office where you have been residing. You have to issue at notice of marriage in the district you want to marry 16 days before the marriage date, this is the latest you can issue a notice to marry. Registrars will ask you to provide proof

HTH

• Peter
    Peter ·
    • Hide content

My daughters Oh is from Lincolnshire...what part of the county is your OH from???

the suggestions above are all good btw

Peter

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Most of what Emmy1979 says is correct but I can add further info.

As a British Citizen he is free to give notice in England or Wales after a full 7 day residency. As an Australia you must however obtain a marriage visa from the British Consul in Oz. (You will have to pay for this) This visa is usually valid for 6 months and you must give notice and be married within the dates on the visa again fulfilling residency requirements. This doesn't mean that you must remain in the country after giving notice.

As one of you is foreign you must both give notice together at any designated register office which may or may not be the one most local to you. This costs £30 each. You can get married in any district in E or W so you may book your ceremony with one district and give notice in another.

If you wish to get married in Church of England above is different so just contact the vicar.

HTH

• Teri_M
    Teri_M ·
    • Hide content

If they don't plan to live in the UK, but live in Austrailia, would the Austrailian citizen still have to go thru the fiance visa process?

• N
    Beginner December 2009
    nifer ·
    • Hide content

I am just a lurker on here normally Smiley smile But my fiance & I live in Australia & are getting married in England on 29th December. We had to go back in May to give notice, but apart from that we havent had any major hassles. it is definitely possible & isnt as stressful as I thought it was going to be, now we've got less than 10 days until we fly out for the wedding (oh, and Christmas as well Smiley smile) and hopefully everything has been sorted out.

If you need any advice, PM me Smiley laugh

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    paulshana ·
    • Hide content

Thanks so much for your advice - it is so nice to find someone that is doing the same thing! We are going to go back in July and could possibly give our "intent to get married" then. Do you have to reside in the UK for 14 days before you get married in December? Whereabouts are you geting married? Congratulations - you must be so excited!!!

• C
    Civil Ceremonies ·
    • Hide content

Yes - afraid so. The visa gives you permission to enter the country to get married in E or W but not permission to stay beyond the expiry date. broadly speaking a foreign citizen (not inc EEA) must have permission to get married here. (Certain exceptions for British subjects but not applicable in Paulshana's case)

Again - rules different for Church of England or Wales.

From Nifer's post I would guess that they are both British and just living in Australia. I have never known a marriage visit visa be issued for more than 6 months so it would not have been possible to give notice in May and get married in December.

You do not have to be resident here for 14 days before the wedding just 7 full days and nights before giving notice.

• N
    Beginner December 2009
    nifer ·
    • Hide content

We are both British, living down under so our circumstances are different to yours, but we will be in the UK for 14 days before we get married, we had to be there for 7 full days before we gave notice.

We're getting married in Warwickshire, my mum has been our wedding coordinator & she has made it so much easier for us. Getting VERY excited now, cant believe it's so close!!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics