Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Sunset21
Beginner

average cost of house move - £10k?

Sunset21, 7 of April of 2009 at 12:25 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 13

I read/heard this somewhere and wondered how true it was. If we're serious about moving we need some idea of how much to budget for solicitors fees, conveyancing, removals etc. - anyone care to tell me how much their move cost or is this a piece of string type question?

13 replies

Latest activity by DuncanP, 26 of January of 2023 at 15:31
  • Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Hmm, well, we moved at the end of last year. You need to factor in:

Estate agents fees if you're selling (we had quotes anywhere between 1% and 2.25% - I think a lot now charge a flat fee instead though)

Solicitors fees for buying and selling (I think our conveyancing just for selling - we moved into rented - was about £400)

We hired vans for removals at about £80 - £100 for a weekend

You also need to think about Stamp Duty too which adds on costs. I guess because we were just selling, it probably cost us about £3k all together, not including the costs associated with renting our new house.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

A bit "piece of string" Ours came to about £2000, but that was 7 years ago. Are you including stamp duty in that ? What about HiPs - I think they add another £500

• Sunset21
    Beginner
    Sunset21 ·
    • Hide content

Everything Pint&APie. I think HIPs around here are £300(ish). Property will be no more than £250k

• Hello Sunshine
    Beginner
    Hello Sunshine ·
    • Hide content

Oh yes, the HIP, I forgot about that. They're in the region of £300 plus VAT.

• IWantOne
    IWantOne ·
    • Hide content

Well, we moved 2 years ago and the cost would have been somewhere around £22k. Obviously a huge factor is how much stamp duty you are paying.

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

We sold in September, bought last month so we're fairly up to date with costs but it's still a piece of string question.

Our estate agent's fees were about £2k, solicitor's fees about £1000, £140 to hire a van, £40 in sausage cobs and tea for all the mates we got to help us move.

As HS said there's also Stamp Duty but we managed to avoid that.

• P
    Beginner May 2005
    Pint&APie ·
    • Hide content

Averages for 2007:

Stamp duty £5,009

Estate agent fees £3,027

Solicitors' fees £1,000

Removal costs £450

Total: £9486, so yes, about 10K with the HIP. But really depends on the purchse price as stamp duty is the single biggest cost

• Sparkling
    Beginner October 2009
    Sparkling ·
    • Hide content

Not far off i would say.

Stamp duty on new property if less than £125k is 0% then £125k to £250k is 1% then £250k to £500k is 3% then more than that is 4%

so if you buy a £300k house you're spending the best part of £10k on stamp duty!

Estate agent fees approx 1.5% of the selling figure of your house but does fluctuate wildly

then solicitors fees easily a couple of grand including the search costs

THe HIP will be approx £300.

Movers fees depends how far you're going but around £1k London to leeds cost about £1400 but it was a 2 day move.

I have probably forgotten soemthing but i hope that helps you a bit.

• Tilly Floss
    Tilly Floss ·
    • Hide content

I think we worked it out (in advance) at about £15-17k

• Purple Pixie
    Beginner July 2012
    Purple Pixie ·
    • Hide content

Just realised that we didn't avoid stamp duty, just the boundary for the next level, so we paid about £1700. So about £5k in total.

• Citrus Pink
    Citrus Pink ·
    • Hide content

I am moving at the moment and here is a list of everything I have listed to pay for a £250k property (may have forgotten something)

HIP - £400
    Survey - £355
    Mortgage application fee (might be added to mortgage) - £999
    Sols fees (inc Selling, buying and Stamp duty - £4179.00
    Removals - £400
    Agents fees - £3139.50

so just under £10,000 ouch!

• M
    Beginner December 2006
    MrsB*star ·
    • Hide content

We're buying at the moment and we have to pay £1200 on solicitors fees. We don't have to pay estate agent fees as it's a new build and they have also said that they will pay stamp duty as an insentive to buy. We've paid about £250 to the home builders to secure the property in the first place. We're going to be hiring a van by the hour as we only live 5 minutes down the road and home to move most of our stuff in cars so that will probably be about £100 for 4/5 hours (we live in Central London). Finally I've factored in the cost of a parking permit as we have a drive now and that works out about £100. Oh and £1000 to the mortgage company. So for us about £2500 to move (we were lucky with the stamp duty) and then the deposit which we had to put down (which similar to my annual salary).

• WelshTotty
    Beginner December 2014
    WelshTotty ·
    • Hide content

If under £175k there is currently no stamp duty to pay (up until Sept this year)

Our moving costs will roughly be:

Selling EA cost = £1000

Solicitor fee = £1100

HIP = £250 (already paid for)

Packing and Moving = £1050

Survey = £500

Stamp duty = £0 (as we are buying under the £175k threshold)

Mortgage fee = £0 (as we are porting our current one over)

Total of £3900

This does all come down to shopping around and the fact that we wont be paying stamp duty or a mortgage fee.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics