Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

F
Beginner

Awkward engagement ring issue!

Fruitloops, 17 of May of 2015 at 08:38 Posted on Planning 0 5

(I hope I'm not double posting this, I hit Post on it once but something went wrong ... sorry if I did!)

Hello everyone - long time lurker with a tricky issue ...

So we got engaged a few months ago (yay!) - the ring I got is beautiful, and I love it. However, it is quite an unusual design in that it covers basically the whole lower part of my ring finger, leaving no space for any other rings on that finger - i.e., no space for a wedding ring. Another worrying issue is that I have only had it for a few months, but it is already showing signs of wear and tear, and the metal already looks a bit tarnished. I know (because he told me) that he bought this ring from an accessory shop rather than a jewellery shop. He saw the ring there and knew how much I would love it, and at the time I don't think he thought about or realised that those rings probably aren't exactly made to last the rest of your life!

So, yeah. I absolutely love my ring, it's so perfect for me, and I want to wear it for the rest of my life. But unfortunately I can tell that it won't have a lifespan of more than a few years, tops, of daily wear. Also, I won't be able to wear my eventual wedding ring at the same time as this one, which is something I would kind of want. I don't know how to bring this up with him, or how to solve it ... help?

5 replies

Latest activity by MrsShep, 17 of May of 2015 at 15:00
  • soraneko
    Beginner June 2016
    soraneko ·
    • Hide content

Firstly - congratulations Smiley smile Sounds like you've got a keeper there if he's able to pick out such a perfect ring! It's a shame if it's not 'made to last', though.

I know that there are people out there who might be able to make you a ring that looks the same out of more long-wearing materials, but not knowing what the ring looks like I can't advise on if this is realistic or not cost-wise. These same places can often create rings to fit around your engagement ring. It'll mean leaving your ring with them for a bit and getting a mould etc, but might be worth looking into. If you search "bespoke jewellery" you should be able to find something. The place I mainly know of is called Goldfinger Rings, if this helps Smiley smile

• InkedDoll
    VIP January 2015
    InkedDoll ·
    • Hide content

I think you're gonna have to break the news to him that the ring isn't gonna last. Could you look at having a jeweller make a copy of your ring that would? Depends on finances but that might be an option. As for the wedding ring thing, you could move it to your right hand after you're married, if you want.

• A
    Beginner March 2015
    Ash953 ·
    • Hide content

I second ID's suggestion.

Honestly, I'd have a conversation with him about it. Tell him you love it but that realistically it's not going to last a lifetime so together you guys need to think of a Plan B. Most men are clueless when it comes to jewellery (as are many women). There's nothing shameful of figuring a solution to this dilemma together.

I would get a plain band wedding ring and alternate wearing the rings as you fancy it. Both my wedding ring and engagement ring are blingtastic so I am getting a plain platinum band for when I want to be more understated.

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Give us a flash (click on the film reel icon) I'd love to see. I know nothing about jewellery really but I do love it! You might end up being best to get a really swanky wedding ring and just wearing your engagement ring on special occasions either instead of your wedding ring or on the other hand. You can get wedding rings shaped to your engagement rings now but if its not gold etc, that's probably not the best idea.

• F
    Beginner
    Fruitloops ·
    • Hide content

Thanks for the replies guys - sounds like there are some options out there, that makes me feel a lot better Smiley smile I don't know if maybe I could get it remade in something more durable, and maybe incorporate another band somehow somewhere for the wedding band, like maybe around the head? This is what it looks like:

• MrsShep
    Beginner September 2014
    MrsShep ·
    • Hide content

Aww, bless him! Very individual :-) I wonder if you could get it dipped, the way you do for white gold rings? Might be worth asking a jeweller. You could wear you wedding ring on a chain around your neck, or on your right hand?

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics