Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

A
Beginner November 2021 East Central London

Awkward Family Trestle/banquet Seating Plan

Alison, 9 of November of 2021 at 16:48 Posted on Etiquette and Advice 0 3

Hi all,

I would like to hear your suggestions on the following problem and hopefully get advice from anyone who has been in a similar situation.

I am planning to have trestle tables at our wedding breakfast however my partner is not the most fond of his mum and I know if she is sat anywhere near him at dinner he will have an unenjoyable experience which will then mean I do too. Would it look weird if we were sat immediately next to our wedding party with our mothers on the end? Both of our dads will not be invited and I'm sure my mum will understand if I explain the situation to her. I do get on well with my own mother however she isn't the most maternal and so I don't think she'd mind much. I guess I'm most worried that it may look strange that we have chosen to sat nearer to our friends than our mothers.

Sorry for the long post!

3 replies

Latest activity by Charlotte, 19 of November of 2021 at 09:48
  • R
    Savvy May 2022 South West London
    Rosie ·
    • Hide content

I think this is fine! We're sat on a round table with some of my siblings and some of our friends. Our parents are on a completely different table. If there were once rules about these things, I'm pretty sure they've gone out the window with a lot of other old fashioned ideals.

• N
    Dedicated May 2022 Somerset
    Nathalie ·
    • Hide content
    This sounds perfectly fine to me - you can do what you want after all! We have a situation with divorced parents and I just don’t want a “top” table trying to juggle them and new partners and all sorts. Plus, I don’t like splitting up the bridal party from their partners either. We thought about having a table with just us, our siblings and their partners, but are now thinking we might just go for a sweetheart table - the advantage of that is not having to think about how to accommodate family on a top table, everyone gets to sit with their partners, and we actually a (little!) bit of time together
  • Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

I would probably mix my bridal party up in the seating in your situation, it doesn't look so deliberate them as having your party all sat together and the mums on the end. maybe put the mums on the end on the opposite side of the table and then scatter the BM and grooms men in on either side. The other option is to have a table for you 2 on your own in front of the main table and then let people sit where they want. is hard, we are having a top tale but just with our best man and maid of honour and then sitting parents on separate tables with their families, as my in laws are divorced and my day has passed away so it would look odd, also I cant deal with my mums opinions on the day!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics