Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

L
Beginner August 2014

Awkward 'TEAL' Colour Scheme

loubie03, 24 of January of 2013 at 20:08 Posted on Planning 0 27

Ok I'm totally new to this so here goes....

So we're getting married August 2014 and would like a 'Teal' colour scheme but finding it so hard to find the 'right' shade...they vary so much from the brighter turquoises and blues to the darker greeny shades...in my head i know the colour but finding it impossible to match!! Do i risk just having different shades throughout the day (as in dresses,flowers,sash's and all the little details) and it looking completely mismatched(I'm a little particular about colour mathcing) or do I change the colour scheme completely before we actually commit to buying anything??

Anyone else finding this problem or am I just being a total plank and overthinking it!?

Thankyou,Lucy xx

27 replies

Latest activity by maxinegallie, 27 of March of 2013 at 11:33
  • Inspire Me Designs
    Inspire Me Designs ·
    • Hide content

You are right. I've had a lot of requests for teal so far this year and I haven't yet found exact matches in both ribbon and card. It's not the easiest, but using different shades can look quite effective. They are never going to be compared either. Who is going to grab your husbands tie and compare it to the chair sash? ?

Nat

• Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon
    Wedding Photography By Bill Haddon ·
    • Hide content

To some greater or lesser extent the same problem will apply to every colour. And you may even find, say - a perfect match in chair sash (organza) for it only to look different with white chair cover behind it

• F
    Beginner September 2014
    faye_h ·
    • Hide content

Hi Lucy,

I've also chosen teal as my colour and have been struggling a little. I'm now resigning myself to the fact that some things won't match and aren't likely to be compared anyway. I'm considering adding a second colour (possibly mint or royal blue depending on the shade of teal I choose) and then using that on items I can't match close enough.

I'm hoping to get my bridesmaids dresses from someone like Dessy who make them to order and who will also make ties for the groomsmen in the same material. I'll then use a swatch of that fabric to find the right colour for everything else.

Teal seems to becoming more popular so hopefully by the time we get married (I'm Sept 2014) there might be more choice and availablity!!

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't worry too much about having the exact shade matching everything, as no-one will be holding invite by BM by cake etc.

We had the same prob, colour scheme was turquoise, I assumed this to be a standard colour, but NO. almost everything was a slightly different shade, and no-one noticed or cared, including me.

I think it'll be fine if they are near ish each other, dont worry about exact matching

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

I'm getting married in March 2014 and am also having teal (seems to be popular in our year!!). I've got the bridesmaid's dresses from monsoon (called Lorton) in teal, as the colour differs so much I won't worry if it doesn't match completely with other teals although I thiink I'll also be adding greens in to the mix to break it up so it really won't matter if they don't match at all. And as has been said before, it's not like someone will grab a cravat and put it next to my bm's and say it's not a perfect match!

• I
    Beginner October 2013
    Irisbride ·
    • Hide content

I'm also having teal (in fact I have the same bm dresses as MrsH2014) and have had this problem since the start. It's particularly hard if you're ordering things over the internet as it's hard to see what the shade actually looks like. I've got to the point now of not caring whether they match exactly, as no-one will notice. As long as it looks vaguely teal-like, it's fine for me!

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

Ask any of the brides on here who are now married that had teal and you'll soon find that it's probably the worst colour around for actually 'matching' !! Colours mean different things to different people and everyone sees colours differently too. One of the reasons why I always ask for a colour sample is because one person's red may be anothers burgundy and one person's 'teal' may be turquoise and so on! An easier way to get around the awkwardness of matching teal is to go for a contrast colour with it such as hot pink, lemon, purple etc. I've shown below some of the 'teal' weddings I've done and as you can see, they are all different shades!

• 3d jewellery
    3d jewellery ·
    • Hide content

I think with most colours you have to accept a bit of variation in shades, but teal like red is very open to huge variations.

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content

Hi Teal ladies!!

Teal was my colour scheme... check out my wedding report (link in signature) there's loads of photos!

I did struggle at first but then realised not everything has to match perfectly! I don't think that light blue colour someone else is posted at all is teal, I'd be interested to see if you agree that my dresses were teal?

I had pale pink in the flowers and it looked BEAUTIFUL against the teal, such a great contrast.

Our sashes were slightly darker than the dresses, and the rose petals on our tables were more a petrol blue, but on the day you won't care, it really doesn't matter and things don't have to be a perfect match at all!

It really is a great colour scheme, you all have good taste ? a tip would be that our 'official' colour scheme was teal & silver, so if I couldn't get the perfect teal match I went for silver instead, which worked quite well. And the pink in the flowers were a last minute decision and looked great, as teal flowers are hard to find, and dyed ones look a bit too fake for me!

Any questions please ask but do have a look at my photos in my report for inspiration!

• M
    Beginner September 2013
    MrsB2013 ·
    • Hide content

Im having purple as my colour and my bridesmaid dresses are really dark purple/can look blue in certain lights. Im having different shades of purple running through the day as ill never get everything to match so I think this is nice

• B
    Beginner February 2013
    BradyBird ·
    • Hide content

I've gone for a teal colour scheme too and have managed to get most bits (BM dresses (Alfred Angelo Tealness) / cravats (Moss Bros Hire) / ribbon for cake (Paperchase) / chair sashes) reasonably close.

I have also found that any pictures of my bridesmaid's dresses come out a lot more blue in photographs than they do in reality which doesn't help when trying to buy things online. Hoping this is just down to iphone/blackberry cameras and they'll look more green in the actual wedding photos though.

I have incorporated pink through the flowers and bits of table and room decor to break up the green and reduce the chance of it looking mismatched so I'd echo Natalieexx in saying definitely have a secondary colour to use where you can't find the exact shade of teal you want!

Good choice of colourscheme! ?

• natalieexx
    Beginner October 2012
    natalieexx ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I had this problem too and my wedding album they look fine, or in prints, but on the screen they definitely look bluer too.

I came accross a seller making cravats on ebay but you could order a colour sample from her for about £3, it looked similar to my BM dresses so I decided to order a sample and it was the perfect match, so I then took this little bit of fabric with me everywhere to match things up. It was a great help! Might be worth going to a fabric store and seeing if you can find a teal bit of material that matches your dresses and getting some cut off as a colour reference for your planning.

• FaeBelle13
    Beginner April 2013
    FaeBelle13 ·
    • Hide content

I think you will find it difficult to get the exact same shade of any colour really, I wouldn't worry too much.

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    loubie03 ·
    • Hide content

Wow!!! Thankyou all so much for your replies and you all have some great ideas!!! I'm really warming to the idea of having teal and purple, so may consider this and have a little look into it! But i have also come to realize ( thanks to you all) does it really matter if EVERYTHING isnt quite the same shade of teal!? Who's going to be colourmatching cravats with invites and BM dresses (and if they do - they know where to go!! lol) and I think I'll be having too much of an amazing time to really care if the odd things don't match!

Thankyou all so much for your inspiration!! Now on with the teal/purple or teal/silver hunting (and finding the right shade of teal to start with...oh god...!!!)

Eeeekkk!! Exciting exciting exciting!

Lucy x

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    loubie03 ·
    • Hide content

Wow you've got some great ideas there!! xx

• L
    Beginner August 2014
    loubie03 ·
    • Hide content

That is a brilliant idea!! Thankyou xx

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Im happy this was posted. Lots of great ideas, having teal too.

Thankyou

• Lindsay31513
    Beginner May 2013
    Lindsay31513 ·
    • Hide content

Hi, im having the same problem with my pink colour scheme. My bridesmaid dress is a raspberry pink, however proving difficult to match on other things so sort of going for a rainbow of pink colour scheme, using different shades of the same colour and hopefully it will work. Xx

• K
    Beginner August 2013
    Kitles123 ·
    • Hide content

I'm having teal too.

So far my Flower Girls dress is Ivory & Teal, it's Alfred Angelo's Tealness. It's been quite hard to get things to match this colour, my chair sashes had to be doubled up with a teal green and a teal blue, which turned out perfect.

I was worried that my other half would get the wrong shade of Cravats so I bought mine from a guy on Ebay. They were made to order and I got he guy to match them to the Alfred Angelo Tealness. It was only £9.74 for a Cravat & matching Hanky, think it was a bargain and they are excellent quality.

Going Bridesmaid shopping next week but the shop I am going to dont stock Alfred Angelo. They only stock Dessy, Ebony Rose & Mascara, so will have to wait and see how I get on.

• *BigBird*
    Beginner April 2013
    *BigBird* ·
    • Hide content

I am having blue teal. We did struggle at first but then I found the BHS dresses and went for Ocean Blue. It's still teal but much easier to colour match Smiley smile

• B
    Beginner July 2013
    bridejuly2013 ·
    • Hide content

Teal and purple will be fab, we are having turquoise/tiffany and purple as our colour scheme - don't worry about things matching completely, it is so difficult!

We are having these bridesmaid dresses (forever yours, tiffany):

These ties for the men (moss bros, aqua):

Flowers similar to these but with less dark foliage and the brighter purple flowers instead (silkblooms):

Centerpiece idea:

These invites in a brighter greeny turquoise colour (loveweddinginvitations):

Chair cover sashes are a greeny turquoise colour but wont match completely to all the rest.

Hope some of these ideas help, happy planning! ?

• Rhoslyn
    Beginner July 2013
    Rhoslyn ·
    • Hide content

Hi

We're having emerald which like teal is very subjective. Have you tried using pantone references to help? If you can match your most important teal item (maybe BM dresses) to this then you can use this to match to your other items. My florist recommended (because emerald is really hard to match to flowers).

http://www.pantone.co.uk/pages/pantone/colorfinder.aspx

I've had a search for teal and come up with:

• W
    Beginner April 2013
    willisw1 ·
    • Hide content

I have the same scheme and I have added peacock flowers and it looks amazing together.

• Mrspetal
    Beginner February 2014
    Mrspetal ·
    • Hide content

Anyone having problems finding ties?

I would like the same colour as the bridesmaids.

Thinking going to the haberdashery getting the correct shade and then making them myself?

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

I think you may have to mismatch slightly. We had a turquoise wedding, assumed it was a standard colour and quickly found out it wasn't. But no-one held their invite by the bridesmaids or wedding cake etc, so as long as they are fairly close, no one will know.

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics