Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious June 2023 Worcestershire

Awkwardness around thank you gifts

Sarah, 13 of May of 2022 at 10:39 Posted on Planning 0 5

I'm really not sure what to do about thank you gifts.. back story - my dad is quite a volatile & unpredictable character and has in the past caused massive embarrassment and distress at family meals by getting quite aggressive towards staff at the places we are eating. The last time it happened was pretty major (over being charged £1 for a jug of gravy) to the point my partner said he in no way wants my dad to pay for ANYTHING in our wedding in the hopes if he hasn't paid for it he can't kick off about anything. At that particular event when my dad kicked off he had only mentioned an hour earlier that he would pay for the wedding (something he also did for my sister 10 years ago)

I told my dad a few weeks later that my FH and I would like to pay for our own wedding but he was having none of it, absolutely none of it and told me the money is mine, he was really very offended. The reason I gave him for us wanting to pay is since it's my FH second marriage he won't be asking his parents to contribute and it wouldn't be fair if one set of parents paid. I cannot in anyway shape or form have an honest conversation with my dad as to the real reason we don't want his money. This is for the safety of some of my family who live with him and next door to him as it really would be like dropping a grenade and walking away whilst I am happy living over 50 miles away from him.

Since that conversation (6-8 months ago) we haven't spoke about the wedding and I have booked everything myself and paid all the deposits, I also already have the money to pay for the whole wedding myself. I know at some point down the line as it gets nearer he will start asking questions about money and wondering why I haven't approached him for any yet or paid any suppliers. We are aware that to save a major family breakdown we will have no choice but to accept some money from him, my mom has already told me I have to.

We haven't asked FH parents for anything nor told them my dad has offered to pay and they have never mentioned contributing anything either. Also I don't think my dad will be best pleased if he has given money and they haven't (even though we told him we want to pay!)

I know it's tradition to give thank you gifts to the parents but I feel this will be very awkward if it's at the wedding and only my parents get a gift or we buy FH parents a thank you gift when they haven't contributed anything. I'm really unsure what to do I thought maybe if i do have to accept money from my dad and FH parents don't contribute I could give my parents their thank you gifts the morning of the wedding at my house in private.

I hate that families can cause so much doubt and worry in what should be a pleasant experience!

5 replies

Latest activity by Zoe, 13 of May of 2022 at 13:16
  • Rachel
    Dedicated June 2023 Greater Manchester
    Rachel ·
    • Hide content
    How about writing them a letter/ card and then for them to read in their own time ? Xx
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon ·
    • Hide content

Actually most of the time its only the Mums that get gifts so that could be a way out.

What about him paying for the H'moon instead or something for the house perhaps. Or towards a new car.

• Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content
    I think it’s only the mums who get a gift at the actual wedding yes, usually when the speeches are being done. We are not having speeches just a toast by my dad. My plan for thank yous is to give a fancy hotel stay voucher to my parents who are massively involved and contributing a lot of money and a bouquet of flowers to FMIL - she is widowed so there is no FFIL. She hasn’t contributed anything! I plan to just have the gifts on the table at the place settings and not make any fuss about them.
    I second Bills suggestion about asking if the money from your difficult dad could be used for a honeymoon or car and explain that you were happy to pay for actual wedding yourself as FH has been married before. But good luck as it is very tricky to please everyone!
  • Jane
    Dedicated June 2022 Bristol
    Jane ·
    • Hide content
    We aren’t quite in the same position as my future FIL is the only person not helping us in the slightest but he is also the only one likely to get offended at anything we might do (including the fact we will not be getting him anything at all!).

To get round any issues with different treatment etc we’ve decided to just not give gifts publicly - the BMs/groomsmen will get theirs in the morning and we’ve already told my mum (who is the only parent contributing financially) that we’ll be taking her for a nice meal to say thank you at some point.
    If your dad is that desperate to give you £ - perhaps go down the line of “we’re really proud to have organised and paid for the wedding ourselves but if you’d like to contribute to the honeymoon, that would be appreciated”.
  • Yorkshirelass
    Super July 2022 Surrey
    Yorkshirelass ·
    • Hide content

No problem, my parents are not into being the centre of attention either, hence my dad not wanting to do a speech after he hated doing one at my sister' wedding 12 years ago! Jane's words about how to mention the honeymoon idea are really good too.

• Zoe
    Curious February 2023 Derbyshire
    Zoe ·
    • Hide content
    What about letting him buy/pay for your dress. He’ll really feel like he’s contributed and done something really special, and there’s nothing for him to kick off about in the day 🤷‍♀️. Good luck xx

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics