Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

S
Curious June 2023 Worcestershire

Baby at Wedding

Sarah, 15 of June of 2022 at 12:40 Posted on Planning 0 2

Hey everyone,

I'm after some advice. Our wedding is only having 3 children present, my two stepdaughters who are also bridesmaids aged 12 & 15 and my nephew who is page boy who will be 6. No other children are invited and my worst nightmare would be a crying baby or child during the actual ceremony. (this is just my personal preference though I accept everyone is different and some people don't mind children at weddings)

My sister (who I have been having a few issues with over the last year with the whole wedding thing) is pregnant and due early January so my new nephew or niece will be 6 months old at the wedding. My sister has said she is still happy to be MOH and that her new partner (who I have met once for 15 mins) will have the baby.

How do I politely request that if baby starts crying during ceremony that her new partner takes baby outside? I already feel like I walk on eggshells with her anyway and don't want to come across as a bridezilla but at the same time I really want to hear every word that I and my FH are saying to each other in that moment.

2 replies

Latest activity by Sarah, 21 of June of 2022 at 14:33
  • PhotographybyBillHaddon
    Super January 3000 Leicestershire
    PhotographybyBillHaddon Online ·
    • Hide content

There should be no need to say anything as parents usually know to take a crying baby out. I see it all the time.

And by the sound of your relationship with her I fear that telling her she should take the baby out will not go well !

• R
    VIP July 2020 Monmouthshire
    RomanticGreenStationery27135 ·
    • Hide content

Most new parents are very anxious about their baby crying & causing disruption, so the parents will probably be more keen than anyone that their baby leaves the room quickly if he/she starts crying. But I have met a couple of people who don't behave that way, In case your sister and BIL are like that, I would suggest approaching it from the point of view of their comfort. So maybe tell them you've arranged a seat for BIL right next to the door so that it is really easy for him to get out with the baby if he needs to. If you mix that in with comments about the baby-changing facilities at the reception, the quiet space that is available for when baby needs to nap etc, then hopefully they will take this as you being concerned for their welfare, while absorbing the reminder that crying babies need to be taken out!

• Charlotte
    VIP April 2022 Wiltshire
    Charlotte ·
    • Hide content

Agreed that most parents would automatically take them out, but I have been at a wedding where a lady turned up with her 3 month old, which she had been told was not invited and then proceeded to sit right in the middle of the seating and it was crying right at the pivitol moment of the I Do, which we didn't hear!,I absolutely think it is ok to say something now, as not everyone thinks the same. i would assign him a seat on the end of a row nearer the back and let them know this is the case and simply say that you are sure they would take the baby out but you have assigned the seat to make it easy to do that and you would be grateful if they can ensure the BIL does take the baby out if it starts to cry. It will be difficult as you have a fractious relationship but it is your day so do you keep quiet and spend the whole ceremony worrying so as not to upset her, or do you mitigate it now so that she has a chance to digest it and be respectful of your wishes for your wedding. Wish you luck, take the plunge and get it out the way ASAP

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics