Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

bliss_balloons

baby shower - gift list

bliss_balloons , 22 of October of 2014 at 13:44 Posted on Off Topic Posts 0 20

I've just been invited to a baby shower with details of two gift lists in. Anyone else seen this before? I certainly won't be buying the expensive clothes from next that he'll grow out of in 5 minutes that's for sure!

20 replies

Latest activity by *Mini*, 25 of October of 2014 at 10:39
  • Little Pixie
    Beginner September 2011
    Little Pixie ·
    • Hide content

I don't believe in baby showers in the first place. Putting 2 gift lists in is quite frankly shocking! I wouldn't go but if I had to I would give them something off the list.

• WickyWack
    Beginner July 2013
    WickyWack ·
    • Hide content

Gift list?? Wow!! Nope, not heard that one before!

• halloweeny
    Beginner October 2013
    halloweeny ·
    • Hide content

I organised one for my best friend recently. Personally, I'm not so keen on them, but she really wanted one so there we go.

We skipped the nappy games, nappy cakes, nappy whatever and just had a get together with some cake and chat. It was actually quite nice and I regretted telling her that I'd be annoyed if she ever organised one for me if i get pregnant. Haha!

A few guests asked me if there was a gift list so this seems to be expected.

Kochanski - I also feel a bit uncomfortable buying a gift for a baby that hasn't arrived and tend to buy something for mum...

• *J9*
    VIP March 2014
    *J9* ·
    • Hide content

I don't personally have a problem with baby showers. It's a nice way to get your group together before baby comes.

I've never seen a gift list for one though. I think that's normal for America though!

• pinkypoo85
    Beginner August 2016
    pinkypoo85 ·
    • Hide content

Reminds me of the Sex and the City where Carrie sets up her own gift list as she wasnt marrried and didnt have kids. After at a baby shower her shoes got stolen so she sent a girlt list to the mother just for the shoes!

I think they are silly, you should just buy what you want if you want to buy something and then I would only buy once the baby had arrived.

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content

Yuk I hate baby showers & don't get the point of them over than to guilt others into buying all your baby sh*t for you-The gift lists I get have bigger items on so I refuse to buy off them. I usually make a hamper full of Johnsons products, sudocrem & happier - at least then I know it will get used!

• SillyWrong
    Beginner October 2014
    SillyWrong ·
    • Hide content

Gift lists ... here's something new to hitched ?

Sorry, I'm being facetious ... no, it's not cool to make a list of things people should buy for you.

• yorkshirekiwi
    Beginner August 2014
    yorkshirekiwi ·
    • Hide content

Also not a fan of the stereotypical baby shower with all thinks nappy related. However I have been to a couple that were more about giving the mum to be a final bit of girly fun and pampering before the madness of motherhood (tea, cake, pedicure - cos she couldn't reach her own feet! face masks and head massage), those were lovely, so if I'm lucky enough to be in that position one day, that's the kind of shower i'd appreciate.

Not a fan of gift lists at the best of times, but for a baby shower I'd be miffed at sending one. I've always given a gift for the mum to be at a baby shower (but then that's the style of shower I've been to). I'd rather wait till the baby's born before buying a gift.

Plus what's the etiquette - if you've given a gift at the shower, do you have to give another one when bub arrives?

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

One gift list is bad enough but two?!

My friend threw me a surprise baby shower and is said I wasn't doing any of that! it was actually quite nice seeing lots of friends, eating lots of cake and the only 'game' we did was to decorate bibs!

I have only been to one or two baby showers and I take a hamper of gifts for the parents to be! never received a gift list though!

even with weddings I tend to ignore them and get something more personal!

• bliss_balloons
    bliss_balloons ·
    • Hide content

I've only ever been to one baby shower and it was just a buffet with us sitting round having a chat. I do not like the sound of nappy games! lol I'll go but I'm not buying anything off the lists because it's all clothes and I cant see the point.

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

The first one I went to there was a game where you had to taste the baby food and guess what it was (yuck), we had to cut a piece of string at the length we though would go around the mum's bump and we had to write some advice and put in an envelope and she was supposed to open it when the baby was born. I wasn't a mum at the time so had no advice so I probably but something stupid like 'always have a bottle of fizz in the fridge for those tough days!' ha ha ha!

• Erin8
    Beginner June 2014
    Erin8 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Exactly this. It is very grabby. I wouldn't stick to the list though.

• Hoddy
    Beginner July 2014
    Hoddy ·
    • Hide content

I just don't see the point. Help.

• StaceyLorraine
    Beginner July 2014
    StaceyLorraine ·
    • Hide content

I had a surprise baby shower thrown for me and I hated it, it was only made better by a visit to A&E... I don't get why people decide to have them then force a stupid gift list filled with overpriced luxury items upon people they invite because they are too tight to buy it them self.

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is how I view them.... A chance to all get together and see mum-to-be before the madness begins!

• icklesal
    Beginner April 2015
    icklesal ·
    • Hide content

One of my best friends had one, her mum organised it. It was nice but was more of a get together with lots of cake, wine for us non preggers and tea/coffee.

she didn't do a gift list or ask for anything. I got her a nice pair of earrings anyway. A gift list is quite demanding, so expecting gifts before the baby is born and then everyone will feel obliged to buy again once baby arrives. Hmmmm not my cup of tea

• Chucklevision
    Beginner July 2015
    Chucklevision ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

This is how I originally viewed them & maybe I've been unlucky but the one's I've been invited to have been more about presents.

The first one I went to I was given a list of things( but not a formal gift list) that I had to buy from & report back to the organizer to prevent duplication

Another I couldn't go to & despite giving my apologies I was still sent the gift list which actually only had expensive items on.

The third was actually the best one as no gifts were requested ( I put together a hamper) & it was actually about catching up etc.

My friend had one recently & we were facebooked about 3 weeks before and advised that we had to buy the gifts in store at john Lewis because they wouldn't arrive on time if ordered online. On the actual day there was a big present opening session & we all had to have our photos taken with our gift & the mum to be. There were about 50 people there.

X

• *Pugsley*
    Beginner March 2014
    *Pugsley* ·
    • Hide content

Luckily with the two that I've been to they haven't been all about the presents and neither have had gift lists. I wouldn't be happy with one that had as I do think it's cheeky!

• *Mini*
    Beginner January 2012
    *Mini* ·
    • Hide content

I despise baby showers- whats the point apart from getting a double load of presents from everyone? planning shitty games with nappies and chewing a baby out of an ice cube- hideous

There isn't even usually any wine- waste of a Saturday afternoon IMO.

Gift List- as ever = rude

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics