Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

mummymrs2b
Beginner April 2013

Back of your dress? Buttons? Zip? Lace?

mummymrs2b, 11 February, 2012 at 11:03 Posted on Planning 0 24

Just wondering how your dress fastens up? I said I wanted lace up due to losing weight but ended up with a zip up then buttons over as I fell for the dress. Did look at getting it swapped over but would lose the detail on the back so left it. What have you gone for? X

24 replies

Latest activity by The Little Jewellery Box, 13 February, 2012 at 17:57
  • Nutella
    Beginner March 2013
    Nutella ·
    • Hide content

Lace up wouldn't suit my dress so I think we're going for a hidden zip with buttons over the top.

• looneysh
    Beginner May 2012
    looneysh ·
    • Hide content

I have a lace up back. Most of the dresses I tried on had lace up and I personally preferred them. I liked the way they made my waist look small when pulled tight ?

• DarkMoomin
    Beginner June 2012
    DarkMoomin ·
    • Hide content

Mine was zip, but had ity changed to lace up - more my style and also like how they make me look!

• pandorasbox
    Beginner August 2012
    pandorasbox ·
    • Hide content

Lace up. Nowt to worry about then if I gain/lose weight. Corset styles have always been my friend Smiley smile

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    Nicalf08 ·
    • Hide content

I chose a dress that has a zip and button back, I didn't go for a particular type. The skirt of my dress is very fussy so the buttons will look much sleeker, a lace up back would be too much with my dress.

• mummymrs2b
    Beginner April 2013
    mummymrs2b ·
    • Hide content

I went with just an idea of a lace up but after finding my dress I don't think it would suit lace up with all the detail on the back. Although it has a inside corset bit on the dress then the zip goes over that then the buttons. Just hope it fits ok but sure it will when altered xx

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I haven't had mine made yet, but I can't decide which would be best! I actually don't think lace up would work, though, as the dress has a very differentiated upper and lower half, and the lace-up bit would only be able to go down to the natural waist. While I might enjoy the extra bust support and nipping in at the waist the lace-up would provide, I think I might have to have the dress made with practically no structure in the bodice so I can wear a corset underneath- then have zip back, but have the lace overlay with buttons.

• venart
    Beginner June 2013
    venart ·
    • Hide content

I forgot to mention, since I'm getting married in a medieval castle and our table plan theme is heraldry, I'm having my dressmaker use these buttons on the back of my dress, but just up to where the underlying bodice ends (3 or 4 buttons), then finishing up to the top with covered buttons.

• Banana88
    Beginner May 2012
    Banana88 ·
    • Hide content

Mines a corset/lace up back. I like the fact that they pull me in and give me a waist I didn't think I had ? Also it's practical for loosening after the wedding breakfast, if I get a little bloated.

• hopefulmum2b
    Beginner August 2012
    hopefulmum2b ·
    • Hide content

My dress is a zip up dress although i desperately wanted a lace up dress....my dress wouldnt suit a lace up though so cant swap it.

Although at least i wont have a stressful morning trying to get it to look right as i dont know anyone who would know how to do it. xx

• N
    Beginner June 2012
    nicadele ·
    • Hide content

Mine has a corset inside the dress with a zip which is concealed with buttons over the top.

I didn't have a specific idea of what I wanted so I'm quite happy plus I would be paranoid as to whether my bm's could fasten a lace up one up correctly at least I know this way they will.

• soon2bmrsRB
    Beginner May 2013
    soon2bmrsRB ·
    • Hide content

Mine has a hidden zip with buttons but it just happened to be the way my dress did up! i like it as its easy to get on and it is boned inside the dress so sucks me in and gives me a lovely shape which trust me when youve ha 4 babies it takes alot to give you a flat stomach lol

• Gurzle
    Beginner April 2013
    Gurzle ·
    • Hide content

Buttons - I really don't like corset backs, though.

• Mellow_Yellow
    Beginner May 2012
    Mellow_Yellow ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Mine is exactly this!

I thought I would have a lace up but the dress I fell for wasn't...at least I will be able to get my dress on in five minutes on the day ?

• hopkins78
    Beginner November 2011
    hopkins78 ·
    • Hide content

Mine had a hidden corset inside to give me shape with a zip and buttons covering the zip. My BMs had a lace up back and on the day they took longer to get ready than I did! (The seamstress even gave us all lessons on how to get them all ready and it only took her 5 mins but in reality it was much longer, we ended up recruiting the hair and make up lady to help!)

• HLT
    Beginner August 2012
    HLT ·
    • Hide content

Unless I change my mind about the dress(!) mine is a lace up. I didn't have a preference really but I am hoping to lose some weight so its ideal, plus I will be breastfeeding at some point during the day so need something ready easy to get out of, plus, I like the idea of being able to loosen it if I feel too bloated after / during the meal!

• MarkLesleyB2B
    Beginner March 2012
    MarkLesleyB2B ·
    • Hide content

Mine is an invisible Zip with buttons over the top.

• lurvlytwink
    Beginner June 2012
    lurvlytwink ·
    • Hide content

Mine is lace up Smiley smile

• D
    Beginner
    DecemberBride ·
    • Hide content

I went for lace up - agreed with looneysh - I like the way it made my waist looked smaller AND I didn't have to worry too much losing/ gaining weight ?

• E
    Beginner March 2012
    Emsypooh ·
    • Hide content

I have a lace up back as then I don't have to worry about squeezing into it and it also shows my curves well.

• M
    Beginner July 2012
    maxinegallie ·
    • Hide content

Well my dress is a zip up back, as it has buttons all the way down the back including on the train. I think it may have looked daft with a lace up, but its all personal choice really as to what suits you best. Plus my 3 BMs are in lace up backs, so that will take long enough as it is.

• princesssaraht
    Beginner December 2012
    princesssaraht ·
    • Hide content

Mine is a hidden zip with buttons, I like this style as i read somewhere that traditionally, the more buttons on your dress the longer the marriage will last!

• I
    Beginner January 1999
    irrelephant ·
    • Hide content

Lace up. I originally wanted button/ zip but they just didn't pull me in the same way.

• The Little Jewellery Box
    The Little Jewellery Box ·
    • Hide content

I also planned to go for lace up but also went for a zip with buttons over the top in the end! :-)

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics