Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

Mrs C
Beginner March 2011

Background music...whats on your playlist?

Mrs C, 5 of January of 2011 at 14:08 Posted on Planning 0 24

I found out from our venue that they have the facilities to play cds/ipod during the drinks reception and wedding breakfast... this means about 4 hours of music!!!

Help me fill some space - Whats on your playlist...?

24 replies

Latest activity by HeavyMetalMaiden, 24 of June of 2014 at 11:35
  • Rizzo
    Beginner July 2011
    Rizzo ·
    • Hide content

I'm having to do this as well. Maybe we can bounce ideas off each other?

• Vikster79
    Beginner July 2011
    Vikster79 ·
    • Hide content

This is what i have so far - quite chilled.

1. Empire State Of Mind- Alicia Keys 2. At The River - Groove Armada 3. Put Your Records On - Corinne Bailey Rae 4. I Get A Kick Out Of You - Jamie Cullum 5. James Blunt – Beautiful 6. No Ordinary Love - Sade 7. Ain't Got No - I Got Life - Nina Simone 8. Summertime - Miles Davis 9. The Sea - Morcheeba 10. Lovely Day - Bill Withers 11. Destiny - Zero 7 12. New York ( I'd Rather Be With You - Joshua Radin 13. Sweet About Me - Gabriella Cilmi 14. Cowboys And Angels - George Michael 15. Black Coffee - All Saints 16. Nothing Ever Hurt Like You - James Morrison 17. Stop And Stare - One Republic 18. White Flag - Dido 19. Crazy - Seal 20. Stars - Simply Red 21. Love Song - Sara Bareilles 22. These Words - Natasha Bedingfield 23. Torn - Natalie Imbruglia 24. Beautiful - Christina Aguilera 25. I'm Yours - Jason Mraz 26. Stop Me - Mark Ronson (featuring Daniel Merriweather) 27. Who Knew - P!nk 28. This Ain't A Love Song - Scouting For Girls 29. When I'm Alone - Lissie 30. Crazy - Gnarls Barkley 31. How To Save A Life - The Fray 32. Dream Catch Me - Newton Faulkner 33. Red - Daniel Merriweather 34. Side - Travis 36. Goodbye Mr. A - The Hoosiers 37. Valerie - The Zutons 38. Secret Smile - Semisonic 39. Hallelujah - Jeff Buckley 40. Corrine Bailey Rae – Like a star 41. Beatles – Let it be 42. Michael Buble – Home 43. Carpenters – Close to you 44. Eva Cassidy – Fields of gold 45. Joe Cocker – You are beautiful 46. Coldplay – Clocks 47. Desree – Kissing you 48. Elton John – Your song 49. Jack Johnson – Better together 50. Keane – Somewhere only we know 51. Dean Martin – That’s Amore, Everybody loves somebody 52. Katie Melua – Closest thing to crazy 53. Van Morrison – Have I told you lately 54. Dionne Warwick – Say a little prayer 55. Damien Rice – Cannonball 56. James Morrison – You Give Me Something

• BumbleBrat
    BumbleBrat ·
    • Hide content

I have 2 hours of background music - It will be all classical stuff.

Stuff like:

Vivaldi - Four SeasonsSmiley atonishedpring 1st

Beethoven - Fur Elise

etc etc

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Sounds like a plan!

I don't want to just put on a mix cd of love songs, we would much rather have songs that we both like!

This is my itunes list thus far:

Bubbly - Colbie Caillat

Like a star - Corinne Bailey Rae

Iris - The Goo Goo Dolls

Over the Rainbow - Israel Kamakawiwo'ole

Dream Catch Me - Newton Faulkner

Come Away with Me - Norah Jones

Heartbeats - Jose Gonzalez

Kissing You - Des'ree

You and Me Song - The Wannadies

Green Eyes - Coldplay

I'm Yours - Jason Mraz

Lucky - Jason Mraz

Over the Rainbow - Eva Cassidy

Iris - The Goo Goo Dolls

Feels like home - Chantal Kreviazuk

Come away with me - Norah Jones

Don't you worry bout a thing - John Legend

Better Together - Jack Johnson

Too lost in You - Sugababes

Turn me on - Norah Jones

Songbird - Eva Cassidy

There You'll Be - Faith Hill

Greatest Day - Take That

Don't Know Why - Norah Jones

She's the One - Robbie Williams

Lovely Day - (not sure)

Is this Love - Bob Marley

One Love - Bob Marley

Time after Time - Eva Cassidy

Born to Be my Baby - Bon Jovi (this left feels right version)

I believe in a thing called Love - Lemar (Live Lounge)

Chasing Cars - Natasha Bedingfield (Live Lounge)

Umbrella - Biffy Clyro (Live Lounge)

When we Dance - Sting

Fields of Gold - Eva Cassidy

Then I ran out of cds....! It's about 2 and a half hours worth there...

• Browny
    Beginner June 2011
    Browny ·
    • Hide content

I was going to buy a CD of harp music (as I cant afford a harpist!) but come to think of it, the CD wont last as long as the Wedding Breakfast ? and not sure I like the idea of just repeating it - not that anyone will probably notice!

May have to re-think!

• Mynnie the Moocher
    Beginner May 2011
    Mynnie the Moocher ·
    • Hide content

I have this problem too. We need to supply all our own music - so the aisle and register signing songs too. It sounded like a great idea at the time, but is actually waaaaay more difficult than it first sounded!

It's made worse by the fact that there will only be the 6 of us for pretty much the entire time (excepting the ceremony obv!) and we're of very varying ages and tastes. Was thinking of going for big band/ rat pack style stuff for the meal etc and keeping it chilled and mellow and maybe holding a more upbeat/dancey playlist in reserve just in case things get a bit wilder later (once the 'rents have gone to bed!) GAH! of all the things keeping me up at night at the moment, it's this!

How are you all sourcing your music? I don't actually own any of what I want (and don't know anyone else that does either) but I'm not sure it's realistic to purchase it all from itunes or amazon/HMV as it will probably cost a small fortune. Am I being really thick here and totally missing some really obvoius avenue? Have to say I'm normally of the purist 'will only buy my music in CD format' persuasion so if I am being thick, it's genuine!?

• teeheeyoucrazyguys!
    teeheeyoucrazyguys! ·
    • Hide content

I had a themed cd, i think they kept hitting repeat as they didnt play any others.... could barely hear it in our meal room but you could in the bar...all 40s.

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

I am borrowing some from friends and family and downloading anything else I don't have.

• Naboo
    Beginner
    Naboo ·
    • Hide content

My list is steadily growing but here is what I have so far

You do something to me - Paul Weller

Iris - Googoo Dolls

You've got the love - florence and the machine

just say yes - snow patrol

chasing cars - snow patrol

you and me song - wannadies

come away with me - norah jones

delilah - plain white t's

always - bon jovi

bed of roses - bon jovi

I don't wanna miss a thing - aerosmith

I'll stand by you - the pretenders

Imagine - john lennon

your the best thing - style council

this years love -david gray

somewhere only we know - keane

last resort - paulo nutini

song bird - oasis

wonderwall - oasis

giid riddance/time of my life - green day

over the rainbow - eva cassidy

ten storey love song - stone roses

sweet disposition - temper trap

have i told you lately - rod stewart

make you feel my love - adele

a day like this - elbow

the sea - morcheeba

teardrop - massive attack

protetion - massive attack

dream catch me - newton faulkner

canonball - damien rice

better together - jack johnson

dont know why - norah jones

one love - bob marley

set the fire to the third bar - snow patrol & martha wainwright

many of horrors - biffy clyro

Hope that helps x

• May2be
    Beginner July 2011
    May2be ·
    • Hide content

We are doing the same and using my ipod. Having 2 different playlists though. Some happy and more upbeat stuff for the drinks and photos and then mellow love songs for the wedding breakfast. Just selecting some of the stuff that I already had on itunes gave me 6 hours worth so I have more than enough and far too much to list here. Examples for drinks reception are: How sweet it is to be loved by you - marvin gaye, signed sealed delivered - stevie wonder, never too much - luthur vandross. Examples for wedding breakfast are: Someone like you - van morrison, do it to me - lionel richie, I knew I loved you - savage garden

• Rebecca86
    Beginner July 2012
    Rebecca86 ·
    • Hide content

We're going to be putting together our own playlist on the I pod so a mixture of our own personal favourite songs not all soppy, one of our personal favourite is All you need is love sang by Paul Weller & Liam Gallagher ooo i so can't wait ?

• C
    Beginner July 2011
    CSayer ·
    • Hide content

Pre-ceremony and drinks reception - classical CD playing.

During the wedding breakfast - Frank Sinatra, Dean Martin, Michael Buble, Andy Williams, Bobby Darin etc

• The Wedding Singer
    The Wedding Singer ·
    • Hide content

'At Last' by Etta James is a must

Great song!

• Jay-Low
    Beginner
    Jay-Low ·
    • Hide content

This is something we need to get on to aswell!

Some great suggestions here, will be bookmarking this page.

Here are a few we both like so will include these

The first time ever I saw your face – Leona Lewis

You make it real – James Morrison

Somewhere over the rainbow – Jason Castro

Heaven (Candlelight remix) – DJ Sammy

By your side – Sade

Thank you for loving me – Bon Jovi

Songbird – Fleetwood Mac

Make you feel my love – Garth Brooks

Just the way you are – Billy Joel

You do something to me – Paul Weller

Time after time (acoustic) – Cyndi Lauper

• nicnol
    Beginner October 2011
    nicnol ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

That is what I'm walking into!!! Been practicing secretly now we've decided on it haha!!

• P
    Beginner April 2011
    Pollyjean35 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

me too!

• PianoDJ.co.uk
    PianoDJ.co.uk ·
    • Hide content

Hey, I don't know if this will be helpful but I have a large list of music that our wedding pianist play for wedding receptions - you can check out the list of music on our website.

It is a mixture of different styles, but hopefully there should be some songs that appeal to you.

James

• S
    Beginner September 2015
    susi_q ·
    • Hide content

I'm having love songs/ music from our favourite films x

• whitewine33
    Beginner September 2014
    whitewine33 ·
    • Hide content

I have this to do aswell Smiley smile we have movies for table names so I'm thinking of adding a few movie songs in there that people might pick up on.

• Barnett2015
    Beginner April 2015
    Barnett2015 ·
    • Hide content

You could try using spotify top play the music? I think thats what we will do. It is an app you can download for free, I used to use it alot (as i managed a cupcake shop) so used to stream music through it constantly on the shop floor & it was worth me paying for it. Its £9.99 monthly qith have unlimited usage, no adverts and can access the music offline. i use the free version at the moment and i have to say it is fantastic. It has a small advert every 2-3 songs though which lasts about 20 seconds.

There are literally millions of songs and you can make playlists plus my H2B accesses it on his phone too so uses the same account. He is choosing the aisle music and first dance (military wag here, i wanted him to be able to do something when away from home that was totally his choice) and so i made a playlist of things i liked so he had a bit of an idea.

I think we will use spotify, just need ipod speakers or to be able to plug into the main system. I will probably sign up 2 weeks before and make my playlist then listen a few times so i will pay for one months subscription which isn't bad. Cheaper than CDs and artists get a (albeit small) cut of the music so it's better than illegally downloading.

• kimiu
    Beginner June 2015
    kimiu ·
    • Hide content

Music is really important to both of us, so I tasked H2B with going through his extensive itunes library to come up with the music for the various elements of the day, as BOY does he take it seriously and wants to get it so right!

So, we've agreed on music to walk into and out of the ceremony, we've got a very shortlist for the tracks to sign the register to, and we've agreed on the music to enter into the reception to.

His "shortlist" for the wedding breakfast is coming along nicely - he's apparently got it down to 3 days' worth.......!!!

Thank goodness he has almost a year to whittle it down just a little further!

• M
    Beginner September 2014
    Mellypoos ·
    • Hide content

• Mrs C
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs C ·
    • Hide content

Crikey this is an old thread - I have been married 3.5 years!!!

• Gemini_Bride
    Beginner September 2014
    Gemini_Bride ·
    • Hide content

It may be old but this has come at a very opportune time as we are in the process of sorting out music selections for various elements of our day too! Lots more ideas for us here

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content

I have a spotify subscription (9.99 a month) which means we can create playlists and make them available off line.

As we are having a scottish wedding I think we are going to have Shooglenifty music playing in the back ground for the meal (sort of an up beat Scottish folk band) and we have created an upbeat playlist for the evening when our band take a break.

Still struggling to decide what to have on when we walk down the aisle although think we have decided on Staunton Lick by Lemon Jelly for after we have signed the registrar.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Oooo tell me more, how does that work? I don't want to have to spend an extortionate amount of money downloading off of iTunes, or risking loads of viruses converting songs from youtube into mp3....

We will probably have a mix of different music that we know family and friends love (as well as us), whether it be romantic or not!! Smiley smile

It didn't even occur to me to have music over the wedding breakfast!!

• W
    Beginner August 2014
    weddingvirgin ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

So basically you need to set up an account and also download the programme onto your computer. you can use it on your smart phone/tablet as well. Then you can just start searching for music and creating playlists. There is an option to set up your playlists as available offline and that way you don't need internet connection to listen.

https://www.spotify.com/us/freetrial/?ca_source=gaw&ca_ace=&ca_nw=g&ca_dev=c&ca_pl=&ca_pos=1t1&ca_cid=10626525156&ca_agid=9443316861&ca_caid=185976381&ca_adid=35438104461&ca_mt=e&ca_kwt=spotify&ca_chid=2001882&utm_source=google&utm_medium=growth_paid&utm_campaign=brand_uk_exact&gclid=CNumnvqlkr8CFcbJtAodD00Aug

Just noticed on their website that they are doing a free trial....not sure what the terms and conditions are with that though.

• H
    Beginner July 2016
    HeavyMetalMaiden ·
    • Hide content

Ooo that sounds fab, I don't mind paying to do that, I will just create the playlist within a couple a months before the wedding Smiley smile Thanks!

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

Related articles

General groups

Hitched article topics