Skip to main content

Post content has been hidden

To unblock this content, please click here

panda2011
Beginner September 2011

Bacon Butties instead of Buffet

panda2011, 24 January, 2011 at 15:09 Posted on Planning 0 38

We are having an early civil ceremony at 12.30pm. We are expecting to be sitting down to the wedding breakfast at about 2.30 - 3pm which is obviously going to take about 2-3 hours by the time we have the speaches etc. OH is dead set on having bacon butties for our evening do served around 8.30pm & wedding cake. Do you think this will be enough food to keep everyone happy? It seems like a long time to go through the evening to go on just a bacon buttie & a bit of cake & I can't help wondering if we should pay the etc couple of pounds a head for a buffet instead. What does everyone else think? Are we being stingey?

38 replies

Latest activity by emmamac73, 25 January, 2011 at 14:14
  • N
    Beginner September 2010
    nic&al ·
    • Hide content

Hi,

We had bacon butties, sausage butties and chip butties for our evening reception. Everyone got more than enough to eat and absolutely raved about them. We have been to a number of wedding since that served a normal buffet and our friends kept comparing it to ours and saying ours was a better idea.

One of the guests at our wedding loved the idea that much that she changed from her traditional evening buffett to bacon butties.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Lynnie I am jealous! Sausage butties would be fab! Might have to have a chat with the venue about that!

• sapphire_22
    Beginner September 2011
    sapphire_22 ·
    • Hide content

I don't think so. i'm probably going to be doing the same as you (with similar timings). But when you think about it, usually people have (in everday lives I mean, not weddings) the equivalent of a bacon butty for lunch and then a one or two course meal for dinner. You're going to be giving them all that plus an extra course of food and cake. If you wanted then you could offer some side dishes like a salad bar or something. But I think everyone's still going to be full.

• M
    Beginner January 2010
    Mrs A to B ·
    • Hide content

Ive been to a few weddings where they have hadbacon sandwiches and they always went down really well, the only bit of advice i would say is to over cater for them as you get some greedy people who will have two and then some people who wont get any!

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content

My only thought would be have you thought of how to cater for the veggies? Am sure the meat eaters woudl love it though!

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks, these are all great points! I need to discuss the veggie option with the venue as I'm sure they will have come across veggies when bacon butties have been served before. Love the idea of chip butties!!! I wonder if that might be the way around the veggies. I bet loads of people would love a chip buttie. Feel much better & less mean now ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I would love this!

We're having afternoon tea on arrival followed by some kind of buffet (me and OH still debating Hot v cold) and I've said i'd be willing to drop afternoon tea for bacon butties but my mom (again) isn't impressed - she doesn't realise most of our guests would love it after a few drinks!

ETA: Re the veggie option. If you did have sausage you could have Veggie sausage, that's what we do when we bring in breaky to work for meetings etc.

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

The amount of times I have been to a wedding and been too full to eat anything in the evening! If I have eaten at the wedding breakfast, I NEVER eat from the buffet... that said, the ones I have been to they have not served dinner till 4.

I think what you are doing sounds good. If you are having any evening only guests, make sure you do do veggie sarnies of some kind. We went to an evening do recently, we had eaten before we went, but when they started serving bacon butties I was a bit put out that there was nothing for me :-(

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

PS chip butties sound LOVELY

• J
    Beginner August 2011
    jm2b ·
    • Hide content

I'd like veggie sausage sandwiches please x

• Sherrie H
    Beginner
    Sherrie H ·
    • Hide content

I've done 2 weddings where they had bacon butties in the evening, also one of them had cones of chips & I think these were the only weddings I have been to where there was nothing left at the end of the evening!

• miss.understood
    Beginner February 2011
    miss.understood ·
    • Hide content

Ah you can't beat a bacon butty! nom! xx

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Fab! A very positive response then ? I was wondering about veggie sausages for the non meat eaters. I am definitely going to have to suss out chips as well though! Hopefully butties of some description with chocolate wedding cake will be enough to keep most people happy, including the evening guests ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

Panda - Chips, Chocolate cake and Bacon butties = my heaven!! If you added Yorkshire puddings with gravy it would be all my favourite foods together (but that would perhaps be a it weird)! haha.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content
    View quoted message

Thanks Kayl! It's embarassing to admit it but they are all mine & my OH's favourite foods too which is why OH is so hell bent on having 'an alternative evening menu' instead of the traditional wedding buffet. So excited now, starting to feel like things are finally coming together!

• D
    Beginner October 2010
    drifter ·
    • Hide content

Hi Panda

Our timings were very similar to yours (1pm wedding sit down 3ish and eveing food 9 to half 9ish)

We had bacon bagettes and mini fish and chips for the evening plus wedding cake and it went down really well the day guests werent after much after dinner and the evening guests had all had dinner earlier so it was perfect refulling food as we all took a break from dancing.

I say if it's what you want go for it, as others have said thugh make sure you have the veggie option covered as well.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Thanks Drifter ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I think it's lovely to have a menu which reflects your personalities.

If we go to the pub with work for lunch on a Friday I will usually skip food and have a maaassive fudge cake, so don't think people will expect anything less at our wedding - oH is just as bad, except he eats the massive meal, then the cake.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Kayl you are as bad as I am! Nothing like Chocolate Fudge Cake ? Which pub do you usually go to with work? The one opposite the manor house? We haven't made it there yet but quite like The Whip & Pink & Lily on top of the ridge ?

• Little Madam
    Beginner
    Little Madam ·
    • Hide content

I wouldn't recomment the one opposit the Manor (the red lion) - some of my delegates went there are were not impressed. When I am working here we go down to the Rose and Crown which is gorgeous food.

I usually do my fudge cake spree in MK though as I work opposite a pub there too.

• panda2011
    Beginner September 2011
    panda2011 ·
    • Hide content

Interesting about the Red Lion. I have heard good things about the Rose & Crown though. Apparently The Whip (just by where we live) has on occasions been frequented by JK from Jamiroqui but we are yet to see him in there. I think there is also an indian restaurant in Askett (between Risborough & Aylesbury) where Sherry Booth, Gordon Brown, Mark Webber & someone from Girls Aloud have been seen.

• Mrs-HFA
    Beginner December 2012
    Mrs-HFA ·
    • Hide content

We're also having bacon and sausage rolls with a few other 'buffet' style items. Inspired after a wedding we were at recently, the rolls went down a treat!!

• knitting_vixen
    Beginner September 2011
    knitting_vixen ·
    • Hide content

I am a strong believer in the wedding reflecting the couple. This is why we are serving stew for main!

We will be having a load of cheese and chutney for our evening buffet

:-)

• avintagebride
    Beginner March 2012
    avintagebride ·
    • Hide content

Were having bacon/sausage butties, onion rings and potato wedges/chips.

I personally think the majority would enjoy that more than quiche and sarnies!!!

Thumbs up from me...obviously! ?

• overtherainbow
    overtherainbow ·
    • Hide content

My daughter is having a pork pie wedding cake for the evening do (a wonky wedding cake for the main reception which is being served as desert) They are having a hot barbecue buffet as well but the pork pie is being served with peas which eveyone seems to be looking forward to!

• S
    Beginner September 2011
    Surreylass34 ·
    • Hide content

Bacon butties are a great idea! We are having Bacon rolls, Sausage sandwiches and fish finger sandwiches, chips ketchup and mayonnaise as our evening food served at about 9pm. We actually this as it was on a menu from another venue we saw and our venue are doing it for us. We thought it was what we would want when we had a few drinks so why not have it as the buffet.

• Snuggle-bum
    Beginner July 2011
    Snuggle-bum ·
    • Hide content

Big fat yes from me, i think bacon buttys are perfect!!

We are having cones of chips and slices of Pizza cause h2b is a pizza freak...lol

• Mrs Bass
    Beginner March 2011
    Mrs Bass ·
    • Hide content

We are out wedding breckie at 4 and at 9/9:30 we are having bacon butties, veggie sausage baps and potato wedges!!

after a few drinks its what people will want!!

• lizziewoo
    Beginner
    lizziewoo ·
    • Hide content

We're having bacon and sausage butties for our evening Smiley smile and for the veggies there doing a big mushroom with melted cheese on it, its better than it sounds!

• A
    Beginner April 2011
    arnold2b ·
    • Hide content

My OH wouldnt do bacon butties, not classy enough apparently, but I went to a wedding where they had them and i thought it was amazing! simple, easy to eat and soaks up the wine! great idea I think. yummy!

• nanny plum
    Beginner September 2011
    nanny plum ·
    • Hide content

We are having (i think) ,mini fish and chips,chicken saty skewers and egg butties.

• hp169
    Beginner February 2011
    hp169 ·
    • Hide content

Think it sounds nice, my cousin had a buffet of things like spring rolls, chicken etc and i didnt particulally enjoy it. However someone else had a buffet with pizza etc and that was nice too. But i dont think bacon sarnies is a bad thing Smiley smile

You voted for . Add a comment 👇

General groups

Hitched article topics